Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th January 2020, 17:25   #1
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Default Soggy rear seat!

I thought I had cured all the usual water leak culprits a while back. Three weeks ago I noticed white 'fluff'on the seams of the rear seat squab thought nothing of it but today noticed it had returned and closer inspection discovered it was mould. Futher investigation revealed the wells under the rear seat full of water and seat sponge soaked.
As far as I can tell the foot wells are dry I will check further tomorrow as light was failing today. My car is parked up on a slope so, as I have done the sun roof drains and have a dry boot am thinking that a drain tube(s) has come adrift from the sun roof gutter if that is possible. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced under seat flooding that could suggest where the problem lies.

Will explore further tomorrow but having a new windscreen fitted first thing so fingers crossed on weather. Thanks in advance. Tony
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2020, 17:42   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
I thought I had cured all the usual water leak culprits a while back. Three weeks ago I noticed white 'fluff'on the seams of the rear seat squab thought nothing of it but today noticed it had returned and closer inspection discovered it was mould. Futher investigation revealed the wells under the rear seat full of water and seat sponge soaked.
As far as I can tell the foot wells are dry I will check further tomorrow as light was failing today. My car is parked up on a slope so, as I have done the sun roof drains and have a dry boot am thinking that a drain tube(s) has come adrift from the sun roof gutter if that is possible. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced under seat flooding that could suggest where the problem lies.

Will explore further tomorrow but having a new windscreen fitted first thing so fingers crossed on weather. Thanks in advance. Tony
It's running in from the boot is the answer, time to revisit what you thought was the dry boot

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2020, 19:44   #3
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Thanks Brian, as soon as the windscreen job is done I'll strip all the backend out. Weather forecast is not very promising for drying out!!
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
Old 12th January 2020, 19:51   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
Thanks Brian, as soon as the windscreen job is done I'll strip all the backend out. Weather forecast is not very promising for drying out!!
If it's any help Tony, I usually remove the boot liner trims and carpet, then dust the panels inside the boot with talc.......makes life easier when trying to trace the ingress.

Best of luck.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2020, 21:52   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Lift the rear seat squab up and have a look at the ‘tube’ that enters from the offside rear wheel arch carrying the wires. You may find it has gone rotten and allowing water into the rear seat area.
Old 12th January 2020, 22:00   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Lift the rear seat squab up and have a look at the ‘tube’ that enters from the offside rear wheel arch carrying the wires. You may find it has gone rotten and allowing water into the rear seat area.

worth investigating look at Simons threads where he removed it and was trying to find the best way to seal the end where the wires go through.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=298371

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 12th January 2020 at 22:02..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 17:22   #7
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Thanks for the feedback gents.
Further searching has revealed, as well as wet seat squab wells, water in the offside rear footwell, a wet n/s rear footwell and slight dampness just on offside boot liner (boot is dry). I have signs of water ingress coming through the offside roof lining quarter panel thingy (above the bolster) so rear window seal and upper sun roof drain ??
As far as I can tell the front footwells are dry and I suspect that parking on a slope has kept water at the back.
My dehumidifier did a brilliant job of getting the seat squab dry overnight and it is now in the car with the wet parts exposed. Unfortunately the way the rain is coming down more will come in than dries out, should have realised and turned the car round before I pushed seats right forward and set up the drier. Oh happy days. On a better note the new windscreen has brightened things up!

By the way Steve I am hoping to make it to a Nano meet again this year, every date last year clashed with something I had on so fingers crossed. Tony
Old 13th January 2020, 17:33   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Water got in my rear end from the rubber holding pins on the bottom of the rear screen.

I was lucky. I lifted the sealing rubber outside and squirted in a lot of WD 40. Over ten years ago and still no leaks.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2020, 16:47   #9
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Default Soggy Rear Seat! Update

Fairly certain I have found my problem, rear offside sunroof drain blocked!! Water spilling over and leaking out of sunroof corner bracket onto the headlining and down with overspill leaching over to nearside.

So I've got water everywhere including from the sky so now facing downhill its locked up with the dehumidifier full bore to await drier times.
That one crept up on me!!
Thanks again for responses. Tony