don't call them during the day, wait till 3 in the morning to call

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 20:34   #12
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Unhappy

I've just today sold a rotovator on Gumtree to a lovely gent who turned up a little late as he got lost. Really decent chap and he bagged a bargain. You do find some good people out there, so don't give up.

Aside from that I've had it advertised for a couple of months and must have had about 15-20 replies. Some people ask if it's still available and you answer yes and never hear from them again. Several people have gone as far as making appointments but then either cancelled or never showed up.

One thing I did to avoid wasting my time on these kind of people was to say come and view it Sunday afternoon whilst I'm at the allotment anyway, so when they don't show up it's no great loss.

When selling cars I say call around 6pm when I'm having my tea. That way if they show up I'll put my tea in the microwave and go and deal with them. I won't plan my time around them or wait in especially in the summer when you can go out and do stuff.

Like you, I'm not sure why people waste others time like this. I did however used to share an office with a muscle car enthusiast who used to spend his lunchtimes (and I mean every lunchtime) calling up garages and private sellers and asking for more details on their cars. Every day he made lengthy calls but never followed through or had the balls to actually purchase one. I hate to think how many hours he wasted making people supply all this extra information without a realistic chance of making a sale. This experience gave me an insight in to a absolute time waster on a grand scale
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 22:18   #13
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

One thing i hate even more is when you agree to purchase a car and then the old excuses come out, cant sell now because my nan's uncle's neighbour's friend's pet hamster died. When actually the car's been sold to someone else who offered more money.

Was going to buy a tf a few years ago. Called to enquire about the car, got extra details etc. Agreed to buy it, said i'd collect it in a couple days. Agreed date and time. Sorted insurance. Only to get a text on the day i was meant to be collecting to say he can't sell because his dad got taken into hospital. Yeah right.

Next day saw posts by a guy on facebook who offered more money than the add price and the seller sold it to him last minute.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 23:01   #14
robeire
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tourer 131bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IverRover View Post
As some of you may know, I have our caravan and my Rover 75 ('Sky') up for sale on this clubs forums and elsewhere. Would rather not have to sell 'Sky' but trying to raise funds so needs must.

So have spent this morning doing the same as what I did twice yesterday, sitting around waiting for people to turn up to view/test drive, that don't. Yesterday no call or text to warn they would not be coming, and this morning........ At first I thought, probably delayed due to the weather and travel conditions, so spent time wafting the cloth over the car, and posting comments on various threads on this clubs forums. In the end, and hour and a half after they should have turned up, I gave them a ring to check all was okay. No answer. Okay, might have been driving and couldn't answer. Left it 15 minutes and tried again. Answered......."yeah we got something else mate" and put phone down. No apology for wasting my time, no call or text just to say they weren't coming in the first place. They requested the viewing time.

Common courtesy and manners.....Or I should say, the lack of!

REALLY GETS MY BACK UP
i hear you mate ..
i had to sell my 2016 actavia estate for 3000 grand below its value just to cut out the bs , but he was a lovely guy who got it .

some people dont have manners thease days ,but on the up side when we buy, it goes a long way regarding the final price we pay for the car .

rob
Old 28th December 2019, 23:08   #15
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

A few years ago a old friend of mine tried to move house only for the vendor to pull out last minute. He was down a few thousand on surveys and legal fees that I'm pretty sure he wrote off. We get ****** off with car transactions but with property it's a different ball game and the cost is money as opposed to wasted time. I always try to be a respectful, upfront buyer and never mess people around. If I'm not going to buy something I'll be honest and say it.

However, to be positive, I've sold cars and had buyers texting me a week later thanking me for a good car and fair price. You get some very decent people around so we mustn't forget this despite the frustrations.
Old 30th December 2019, 15:22   #16
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

When we purchased my wife's focus (it was ~11 years old but 55k miles and excellent condition) I phoned the dealer to check it was still available. He said yes so we set off across town. When we go there we saw the car on the forecourt with what looked like a dad and his son looking at it. From first glance the car looked a peach. I was a bit miffed and though maybe if we has set off 30 mins earlier we could have got it. I asked the dealers assistant what other cars he had and he had a 1800cc Focus which I wasn't keen on.

Since it was nearly lunchtime I asked the dealer where we could get a burger and chips for the kids and we were about to drive off when he tapped and the glass and asked us if we wanted to take it for a test drive! Unbelievably the previous people were unhappy with the trade in value offered for their old car. I've no idea whey they didn't sell their car privately rather then letting the deal stall.

For me, I quickly purchased one of the best used Focus's I've every seen for circa £1.5k. Ghia spec, premium sound, maintenance up to date, clean and tidy. I can't believe anyone would let this bargain slip through their fingers. 18 months on my wife loves this car and aside from a coil pack it's never let us down. It drives like a new car and we invested in 4 new tyres over the holidays as I anticipate it being with us for 3-4 more years.

I honestly don't know what some punters expect. Like the lawnmower scenario described above, some folks are fools and walk past an iron clad, give away bargain.