Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th December 2019, 08:46   #11
ALPACA
Gets stuck in

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT

Smile

I lost a front spring in 2013 on Roxy after hitting a major pothole when they were redoing the whole of Eastbourne's roads. Cost me 546.00 for a Pair of new coil springs, two new Pirelli P6000 tyres and balancing to front wheels plus hire car use. Mileage at that point was 99,439.

Then a rear spring failed in November this year and I had a pair of rear springs fitted (plus shocks) at mileage 132,000. I could not believe how high the rear now sits, I guess we don't notice as the years and miles fly by and the springs start to show their age.

In the New year I plan to have Bluebelles front and rear shock absorbers and springs changed (did the same with Roxy and she is like a different car in handling and ride comfort).
MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT - Dynamic Red Tri-Coat with Sardana red Bader leather interior. K&N filter.Weathershields.Mudflaps.Sundshades.Slot mats.Quilted rear seat protector.Latch guards.Fabric & rubber mats.Fabric & rubber Loadliners.Full alloy spare.MG seatbelt covers.Aussie chrome tailgate strip & bumper protector.Autoglymn lifeshine.Indonesian tailgate badge.Chrome steering wheel cover.
ALPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 09:28   #12
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Bad batches apart, spring fractures happen at a similar rate to all makes of cars. They tend to be more frequent in the winter and typically go when the car is just starting to move off. They sometimes fracture at speed, but not very often. A few years ago, the AA conducted a national survey of car spring fracture and published an excellent report, which is unfortunately no longer on the AA website. I did manage to copy one important detail seen below.

The MGR recall was to fit a mitigation device, the so-called tyre protectors. These are still available here and there and well worth fitting. A fractured front spring very often pierces the tyre.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 28th December 2019 at 09:30..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 11:22   #13
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
I
…….. Had a very interesting time getting the 75 down two floors and out to the recovery truck...
I always fit protectors now
Ah , memories
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...9&d=1302116861
That picture was what remained after dragging the car onto the breakdown truck
And I already had tyre protectors fitted !
Old 28th December 2019, 20:08   #14
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post

TC
How ironic that the graph even looks like a spring

You mention springs going at speed and have experience of this, which thankfully ended without me coming to harm. I was going around a sweeping corner at ~45mph when I heard a sudden loud noise which seemed to come from a front wheel arch. I first thought it was road debris thrown up but subsequently notice a clunking noise when I went over a bump. So I checked the spring and it had broken. I'm pretty sure as it broke it threw small metal fragments up in the wheel arch and away.

Thankfully no other damage was caused to the tyres and I must have avoided the back tyres picking up any shards of metal.

I guess cornering loads up force on the spring so it's logical that they break like this but I think I got lucky and came to no harm as it happened on a nasty bend.
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2019, 09:51   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
How ironic that the graph even looks like a spring
Each year, the fracture season starts in Spring.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020, 17:25   #16
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

My 75 needed a new front spring for the "Full MoT on purchase"when I bought it just over 2 years ago. It needed a new N/S rear when I replaced the upper arm (corrosion) for this December's MoT. It had broken where the bottom coil comes up out of the seating cup. This part of it had lost all its plastic coating, I suspect because of the accumulated mud, grit and salt that gets caught in the cup, so well-worth blasting clean with the pressure washer when you've got the wheels off, and covering liberally with oil or wax when dry. This may also add longevity to the aforementioned arms. I bought a pair of rear springs, but on inspection, the O/S rear had obviously been replaced previously.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote