Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th June 2019, 22:07   #21
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2750 HP View Post
All four of my ZTs have Avons as has my Bentley Turbo R and TR4

Four ZT's, a TR4, V8 RR and V8 Bentley - I can see why you cannot afford to pay the £10 club subscription!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2019, 11:51   #22
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I have just had my Avon ZV7s all replaced after 4500 miles of use and 6mm tread left on front with 7mm on the rears under warrantee.

All four tyres purchased three weeks apart and on different date codes have cracked at the base of the treads. I contacted Avon and they told me it was a known issue caused by EU rules stopping them using certain products in the compounds which was causing the tyres to loose their elasticity over time. This makes it not so much an issue for higher mileages but for low use second cars etc an issue. It shows up after 2/3 years according to the gentleman I spoke to at Avon. He told me that "they think they have resolved it but will not be certain for up to 3 years".

The tyres are guaranteed for six years and are on the way back now to Avon for inspection. Once they have done that a refund will be given to me based on the tread left by the retailers. Two were purchased from Black Circles and they paid out already before getting them back but the original offer was poor and I had to argue my case to get a reasonable refund and an agreement to pay more if Avon give them more. The other two are in the system. Avon are going to advise me when checking is completed and the percentage refund they are passing down the line.

I decided to replace them with Kumho ES31 Ecowings because of Avon not being 100% on the fix. I suppose their honesty went against them in the end. Chose the Kumho's on similar price, B grip rating, B fuel rating, against the Avon's A grip and E fuel. Yesterdays downpour gave them a good test and I could not fault them, didn't see any difference in grip braking etc.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2019, 22:50   #23
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

I got a good result this evening. I went to Costco asked which makes they has for ~£50 expecting Bridgestone as the budget offerings. They only had Michelin in stock and said for buying 2+ tyres they could do them at £53!

The fitter also said that the front inside edge on the old tyres has worn a lot so I'll get the tracking checked soon. Well pleased with that. BTW I have 15" wheels so my advice is if you need tyres make a trip to Costco whilst they have this special offer on...….
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2019, 12:11   #24
Mothman
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Club SE

I had Avon Zt5 195x65x15's on my saloon before I sold it. I liked them, found them reasonbly quiet but can't comment on wear as I didn't do a huge mileage on them.

My brother has Avons (not sure which ones) on his VW Tiguan and finds them quieter than the Bridgestones they replaced.
Mothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 19:38   #25
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

I would always go for Avon. Terrific in damp and wet conditions, oh and of course there British made. ����

I will soon be buying a set for my Tourer on 18” rims. Avon ZZ5 225/45x18. £400 a set. Good for 25-30k miles

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 22:20   #26
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Anybody had any experience with Avon ZV7s?
Old 29th June 2019, 22:51   #27
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Yes I have the ZV7 Avon s fitted to mine.
I found them to be quiet, and work well. Have them on the rear for about 18 months. Checked only today for any cracks or damage after reading one of the posts on here.

No, mine are perfect, and still look like new.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 10:19   #28
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

I had a set of ZV7 on my CDTI wore well, quite and performed very well. Unfortunately pot holes knocked my tracking out and Ihad to replace them early due to outside edge wear.

I tried to get my local dealer to source some but messed me about. When I complained thet offered Michelins at a bargain price as gesture of good will. I do 50k a year and a regular visitor! The Michelins are wearing better but in all other ways no discernible difference.

We now have ZV5 on two other cars, Mini and Fiesta. The ZV5 is the British made tyre.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote