Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th May 2019, 22:55   #1
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default Ford diesel 2.2L crank pulley advice

Hi,
Aside from my 75 diesel I also run an 07 plate Jaguar X-type 2.2L diesel. We drove it to Bognor yesterday to visit Butlins and to take the kids to the new pool they have built.

To cut a long storey short, we had a torrid drive home as the crank pulley started to break up (or the grooved rubber parts on it) on the way home. The RAC advised it was ok to drive it carefully home and we eventually got home at 11pm with the kids fast asleep after an epic drive home via rural roads to avoid the motorways. Was a relief when we finally stopped on the driveway. For some reason I can still smell the scent of burning rubber today!

So today I spoke to the guy who maintains my Jag and he said he'd fit a new pully, belt and tensioner for me. I looked on ebay and there are dozens of different kits available so a bit confused. When I asked my Jag mechanic which kit he'd recommend he recommended I didn't choose the cheapest kit which I think was £69 but he said go for the modified type?

Please can I ask if anyone can recommend a kit to me. I think the Jaguar X-type 2007 2.2L diesel was a Ford engine also used on Transits and Mondeos.

If anyone can advise I'd be grateful. Meanwhile the trusty 75 powers on as ever so I'm still mobile thankfully.

Best regards,

Jim
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 23:33   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
Hi,
Aside from my 75 diesel I also run an 07 plate Jaguar X-type 2.2L diesel. We drove it to Bognor yesterday to visit Butlins and to take the kids to the new pool they have built.

To cut a long storey short, we had a torrid drive home as the crank pulley started to break up (or the grooved rubber parts on it) on the way home. The RAC advised it was ok to drive it carefully home and we eventually got home at 11pm with the kids fast asleep after an epic drive home via rural roads to avoid the motorways. Was a relief when we finally stopped on the driveway. For some reason I can still smell the scent of burning rubber today!

So today I spoke to the guy who maintains my Jag and he said he'd fit a new pully, belt and tensioner for me. I looked on ebay and there are dozens of different kits available so a bit confused. When I asked my Jag mechanic which kit he'd recommend he recommended I didn't choose the cheapest kit which I think was £69 but he said go for the modified type?

Please can I ask if anyone can recommend a kit to me. I think the Jaguar X-type 2007 2.2L diesel was a Ford engine also used on Transits and Mondeos.

If anyone can advise I'd be grateful. Meanwhile the trusty 75 powers on as ever so I'm still mobile thankfully.

Best regards,

Jim
I cannot give an answer, but am a member of the X-Type Facebook help group, and they have a lot of helpful advice and support, a bit like here, it would be worth joining. Certainly a lot better than I could find when I had my X-Type. (and yes it was a Ford engine, with some minor differences I believe - not sure about the pulley though)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 04:53   #3
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

The modified crank pulley is from a mk7tdci transit, part number BK2Q-6B319-BA

The pulley is able to take an extra belt, but that part is not used for the jag.

As the pulley is wider the jag requires a replacement arch access cover as the existing one rubs on this new pulley.

Also the tensioner needs to be replaced at the same time, as the old pulley causes the tensioner to oscillate, and this squashes the tensioner rubber bushes on the ends of it's spring.

Don't be tempted to buy an aftermarket pulley. Some don’t last 12months

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Jaguar-C2S5...Kit/1615894078

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 17:19   #4
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for the replies. I've join the facebook group and will ask there too.
Nigel thank you for this recommendation. £300 seems a lot of money. Is it worth this investment in your view? The £70 options seem too cheap and some I noticed have a 1y warranty which isn't great.
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote