Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th April 2019, 23:02   #11
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
My last ZT had Nexen N8000 fitted when I bought it..........despite having 6mm of tread, I removed them after two days and fitted Uniroyal Rainsport 2, the Nexen tyres were absolutely awful in every respect.

My current ZT up until last December had Dunlop SP01 fitted, not cheap, but they saw four years on my car after I'd had the wheels refurbished.

Frosty has Rainsport 3 fitted to his 11 spokes, the other set of 11 spokes have Avon ZV7 both of which are.......excellent.

Now for the current daily chariot, my ZT is now fitted with the superior tyre of AAA P606, these were fitted simply to get the ZT through it's test in December, and four of these cost me about £160 supply only.

They are adequate at best, ok for around the town, passable on motorway, but are far noisier than the previous Dunlops.

In summary, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend both Uniroyal Rainsport 3, or the Avons in that order, I wouldn't have Nexen fitted if I were paid to do so, and if you don't really care about your safety or that of other road users, or don't mind driving as if you were on untreated ice when the road is damp, or indeed don't get embarrassed when you can wheelspin your car in second and have short arms and long pockets, then any of the junk brands will do.

Triangle
Jinyu
LingLong
LandSail
Delinte
GoWind
Sunny
Sailun

I don't care what anyone says about tyres, the difference between cheap rubber and midrange, then top end tyres are like night and day, I drove a car belonging to me that came with Landsail tyres, they were four months old according to the DOT, off they came, then I cut the sidewalls before taking them to the tip to ensure they were not reused by anyone else.

People who claim that these cheap Chinese rings of death are fit for purpose, have never ridden a motorcycle, I find people who have experience of two wheel travel tend to understand the importance of the only point of contact between your machine and the road.

Brian
I agree with you about the cheap Chinese rubbish, I had heard that landsail were not too bad but have no experience of them myself. Bought a ZS once with Autogrip tyres and they were NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- dangerous, would lose traction with no warning at pretty low speeds in the dry and if it got even a little bit damp, it was like driving on ice.

Can't say that I thought Nexen N8000s were bad but I have never driven a ZT with anything else yet (on the front anyway, had Bridgestone on the back wheels). they were pretty good on my old ZS that got pushed quite hard at times and on a peugeot 406 estate that didn't.

I was caught between a blind idiot and a very sharp kerb a couple of weeks ago and destroyed a wheel and the sidewall of one of the Nexens so I have fitted a set of MG6 TSE wheels that came with two dunlop SP Sport 01s and two GTRadial SportActive. I have fitted the GTRadial to the front so I can test their grip a bit more safely as I'm unsure about them. My research tells me they may be the only decent chinese tyre, possibly due to being designed in germany. There's some reviews online comparing them to Toyo T1 sport and Maxxis VS01 and found them to be better in some respects and comparable in others. It seems to be a test set up by manufacturer though so it was bound to be favorable to their own product. Owner reviews seem pretty good,, especially regarding steering feel and general dry grip.

If the GT Radials are useless, I still have two bridgestone s001s that I swap to the new wheels if I need to.

MOT is on monday so I'll get to test them after that. I will also have to test how much I like the look of the MG6 wheels because right now it's not very much.

Last edited by EdgarDonaldBalls; 10th April 2019 at 23:07..
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 08:13   #12
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

I own a motorbike and specifically put decent tyres on being michelin pilot sport 3's with a 0 to 60 time of 3.2 seconds is the only point of contact with the road I find it particularly important, on the rover however I did quite a bit of looking around for tyres and went with nexens as had loads of good reviews and tested well and for the 75 that tootle about not going anywhere particularly fast is a perfectly adequate tyre I haven't made them spin yet despite all the hills around here and haven't skidded about or slipped around in the wet I am very happy with them for the price!
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 08:54   #13
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I have always gone with Conti’s. I know they are pricey but as said it’s the only thing between you and the road. Superb grip wet and dry not the quietest tyre in the world but that’s not the end of the world. I have found on my current car that when they get near the bars the performance drops but that’s telling me it’s time to get new ones.
I have Constacy tyres on the back they cost me £40 a corner to get through an mot and they are truly awful if not dangerous! I’ve a set of 4 Conti sport 5s ready to go on when I get the alloys refurbished next month. If you can’t afford a pair buy one at a time it won’t take long before you have a decent set.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote