Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th June 2018, 20:41   #1
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

Default Diesel single pump failure

I have mk2 diesel with just the single in tank pump, car started and then cut out and wouldn't start again,

RAC came out checked the fuses, relay, and power to the in tank pump all as it should be, car would start with a squirt of easy start but cut out immediately even tried hitting the pump to try get it to fire up, I keep reading that single pump failure is unheard of but what else could it be?

I know dmgrs sell the pump but he is away I believe and need it pretty sharpish who else except rimmers stock the single in tank pump?
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 21:10   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy600 View Post
I have mk2 diesel with just the single in tank pump, car started and then cut out and wouldn't start again,

RAC came out checked the fuses, relay, and power to the in tank pump all as it should be, car would start with a squirt of easy start but cut out immediately even tried hitting the pump to try get it to fire up, I keep reading that single pump failure is unheard of but what else could it be?

I know dmgrs sell the pump but he is away I believe and need it pretty sharpish who else except rimmers stock the single in tank pump?
ECM, perhaps Eddy, does the oil pressure lamp illuminate?
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 21:11   #3
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

I’ve got a used one I removed today for sale, but would be surprised if it had failed, however I’ve sold quite a few, so it’s possible
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 21:14   #4
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

Oil pressure lamp goes out while trying to crank and the rev needle moves also, plenum is dry with no tide mark on the pollen filter, mileage is 102k with presumably the original pump with obviously makes no priming noises with ignition on.
Old 12th June 2018, 21:22   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Oil pressure lamp goes out while trying to crank and the rev needle moves also, plenum is dry with no tide mark on the pollen filter, mileage is 102k with presumably the original pump with obviously makes no priming noises with ignition on.
102k is nothing Eddy, under the back seat, have you metered to see if there is 12v present on the white/purple, and black wires ?
Old 12th June 2018, 21:38   #6
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

He got 12v at the plug under the bench unsure which wires though I can test them tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
102k is nothing Eddy, under the back seat, have you metered to see if there is 12v present on the white/purple, and black wires ?

Last edited by Eddy600; 12th June 2018 at 21:41..
Old 13th June 2018, 10:01   #7
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

Just gone out to the car and still won't start but the pump Is now making a priming noise for about 30 secs as it should, the fuel light is on so surely I haven't just ran out of fuel
Old 13th June 2018, 16:53   #8
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

Quote:
Just had multi meter out and the white/purple reads 12v but the black reads 0.04v hope this helps with diagnosing my problem.
Old 13th June 2018, 17:31   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Just gone out to the car and still won't start but the pump Is now making a priming noise for about 30 secs as it should, the fuel light is on so surely I haven't just ran out of fuel
You won't have run out of fuel Eddy, the pick up is right at the bottom of the tank, and the way the venturi system works on the single pump system, I very much doubt it

You can of course apply a couple of gallons of DERV to see what happens

Brian
Old 13th June 2018, 17:57   #10
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

Quote:
You won't have run out of fuel Eddy, the pick up is right at the bottom of the tank, and the way the venturi system works on the single pump system, I very much doubt it

You can of course apply a couple of gallons of DERV to see what happens

Brian
Will put some in tomorrow and see if it helps, as for the black wire should I be seeing 12volts at that also as it read 0.04v