Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st July 2016, 13:47   #11
Dvorak
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Copperleaf Red

So I couldn't find anything wrong with the pumps or fuel filter. Took it to my local guy, who read the OBD and found a MAF fault. He's now replaced it for me.

Could this have been causing the symptoms I had? Rough idle, stalls, loss of power. I found on the CDT troubleshooting guide that "MAF symptoms are related to poor reving or sudden loss of drive especially in bad weather" - that is exactly what happened to me when I broke down.

I hate intermittent faults because I don't feel I can trust her to take me all the way down the motorway now .
Dvorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 15:16   #12
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvorak View Post
So I couldn't find anything wrong with the pumps or fuel filter. Took it to my local guy, who read the OBD and found a MAF fault. He's now replaced it for me.

Could this have been causing the symptoms I had? Rough idle, stalls, loss of power. I found on the CDT troubleshooting guide that "MAF symptoms are related to poor reving or sudden loss of drive especially in bad weather" - that is exactly what happened to me when I broke down.

I hate intermittent faults because I don't feel I can trust her to take me all the way down the motorway now .
Maf sensor can easily cause loss of power, but it shouldnt have an affect on idle... but then if it was really bad i guess it could.
It measures the air going into the car, it adds fuel accordingly so its very possible that all your issues related to a bad MAF however they usually dont fail like that.
If the car runs good now then just enjoy her.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 17:39   #13
Dvorak
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Copperleaf Red

I was wrong - misheard down the phone.

What was throwing an error and replaced was the MAP sensor, not MAF. I can't find much information about this - is it likely to have caused my symptoms?
Dvorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 17:56   #14
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
Maf sensor can easily cause loss of power, but it shouldnt have an affect on idle... but then if it was really bad i guess it could.
Stalling at idle was the only symptom when my MAF packed up, but it is rare as I haven't heard anyone else mention it.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 18:23   #15
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Stalling at idle was the only symptom when my MAF packed up, but it is rare as I haven't heard anyone else mention it.
if the MAF stops working does the MAP sensor in the intake manifold not take over? Not as refined but it should run no??
Old 21st July 2016, 18:46   #16
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Sounds like a leakback problem to me... Do the test and report back please.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 19:46   #17
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
if the MAF stops working does the MAP sensor in the intake manifold not take over? Not as refined but it should run no??
The ECM will revert to a default map if the MAF is unplugged, but I can only assume that my MAF was giving incorrect readings and this caused the stalling.
Old 22nd July 2016, 02:18   #18
fazmg
Regular poster

mg zt cdti

I had a similar problem, when coming to junction's or up hill engine would cut out display low oil pressure plus engine management light. Turned out my in tank pump was giving up and then eventually gave up. Then I also found another fault which was a bad earth from battery to car body to which I had car started and pulled on earth wire and engine cut out. Earth wire had deteriorated from bolt bracket.

There could be many other reasons just like the lads of stated....

Leak back cam or crank sensor hp rail sensor.

The lads on ere have more knowledge they will help you.

Good luck.
fazmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 07:38   #19
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Yes could be many things although a failing cam sensor won't cause the cutting out - it is only used at each start up.

And it doesn't sound like injector leakback because the OP said the car cut out and then cut back in again.

I'm sure I read somewhere that if the engine cuts out due to a fall in HP fuel pressure it won't restart unless you turn the key off and back on again.
Old 22nd July 2016, 08:26   #20
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

As posted above, a failed MAP sensor would cause those issues as that measures manifold pressure.

Without knowing what the pressure is or if the sensor was giving intermitant readings it could literally be shutting off fuel supply and or giving incorrect fuel trim.
This sensor basically measures the boost into the manifold with that replaced and obviously your MAF is fine.

MAF = Mass air flow
MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure

Both sensors are required to work in tandem, if one fails the other is relied on as a backup however if both sensors are weak then you could run into these issues that you have described.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote