Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th July 2016, 00:54   #11
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Yip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Christopher.
New is always going to be better than a second hand unit, or even a refurbished one, but if the job in undertaken properly there is no reason why the unit should not last a good minimum 30,000 or more years in fact and is a good alternative for those on a tight budget, they can also learn how the fan works at the same time as refurbishing there original fan we fit them regular at the nano meets, but also fit new ones as well each to there own as they say.
Yip, quite agree just saying that actually for an outlay of £159 it is guaranteed and quite often second hand units are actually not really that cheap. They are as all second hand parts a gamble. The new unit is fit and forget. No worries as to if it will last or work properly. As you rightly say an old one is cheaper but can turn out to be a costly error particularly if you drive a 1.8.

As you say each to their own but the consequences of a fan that fails can be catastrophic for the engine if failure occurs at the wrong time/place.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 08:20   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
The new unit is fit and forget.
Errr ... I'm not sure that I agree with you there Chris! They said that about the Kenlowe aftermarket unit, until they started failing. In my experience, nothing on a car is "fit and forget".
Quote:
... if the job in undertaken properly there is no reason why the unit should not last a good minimum 30,000 or more years ... they can also learn how the fan works at the same time as refurbishing their original fan ..

Spot-on Steve. Repairing also keeps your car original and preserves resources, if you're interested in those values of course.

Simon
Old 30th July 2016, 09:47   #13
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Talking

Quote:
Hi Christopher. If the job in undertaken properly there is no reason why the unit should not last a good minimum 30,000 or more years

Quote:
Yip, quite agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Spot-on Steve.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 10:08   #14
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Yip, quite agree just saying that actually for an outlay of £159 it is guaranteed and quite often second hand units are actually not really that cheap. They are as all second hand parts a gamble. The new unit is fit and forget. No worries as to if it will last or work properly. As you rightly say an old one is cheaper but can turn out to be a costly error particularly if you drive a 1.8.

As you say each to their own but the consequences of a fan that fails can be catastrophic for the engine if failure occurs at the wrong time/place.

Chris
Hi Chris.
Yes new is always best if you can afford it no doubt.

Regarding second hand units at no point would I or should anyone fit one unless it a been checked and re-brushed with the quality brushes that are available from the link on this forum, i have not suggested that they are cheaper just that some members budgets are different to others..

I think it is safe to say that any R40 or MGZT that as passed 65,000 -75,000 miles and is on the original fan unit are on borrowed time also similar to a second hand unit that as not be checked, cleaned, re-brushed.

A fan unit that as been checked cleaned and re-brushed should give good service for sometime to come, therefore i would not put say to any member it is not worth taking that into account should you be on a tight budget.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 11:16   #15
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Talking Calling the OP!

Hello ColinP, are you still with us?

Is anything we've said of use to you? Or are you wishing you'd never asked?

What are you thoughts Colin?

Simon
Old 30th July 2016, 14:59   #16
Organiser
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Quote:
Hi Chris.
Yes new is always best if you can afford it no doubt.

Regarding second hand units at no point would I or should anyone fit one unless it a been checked and re-brushed with the quality brushes that are available from the link on this forum, i have not suggested that they are cheaper just that some members budgets are different to others..

I think it is safe to say that any R40 or MGZT that as passed 65,000 -75,000 miles and is on the original fan unit are on borrowed time also similar to a second hand unit that as not be checked, cleaned, re-brushed.

A fan unit that as been checked cleaned and re-brushed should give good service for sometime to come, therefore i would not put say to any member it is not worth taking that into account should you be on a tight budget.
I have to agree with Steve (Arctic) that a rebrushed and serviced fan unit will be most owners requirement but as Steve knows it is now getting harder to find units that can be rebrushed because of the damage too them, I would not fit a second hand fan unit to any of my cars because most of them are scrap!

My Trophy Yellow ZT-T's fan unit gave up on me a few weeks back and it is just coming up to 71,000 miles and it was working fine just a few days before I needed it.

Pic below during fitting of new rad and condensor and one of Steve's rebrushed units.

I would be using one of Jules fan units if Steve's were not available!!

Tom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016_071827-7-160028.jpg (129.7 KB, 10 views)