Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th April 2020, 21:49   #1
starway
Regular poster

MG ZT +

Default Heated seats connection advice

Hi guys,

I have bought a cheap ebay carbon seat heater for both front seats. It comes with all the wiring. It requires me to get power to a red lead and then earth to the black. I have the wiring behind the dash for heated seats ( the ones that say left and right I believe they are right ) now my question is where do I take the power and earth from. If I have the wiring for the switches behind the dash panel does that mean i will have the wiring under the seat ? And if so can I then just cut the wire for the heated seat look and wire it to my aftermarket kit ? And then take the ground wire from the loom and cut it and solder to the aftermarket kit as well ?

Or do I have to tap into the fuse box ? And get my power somehow else ? I was thinking if I get the power from under the seat will this work without the switches , as I don’t want the oem switches on the console I’m just going to use the ones that came with the cheap kit. /

Any advice please

Thanks

James
starway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2020, 21:51   #2
starway
Regular poster

MG ZT +

I read somewhere that the switches complete the circuit for the ground or something so if I tapped into the existing heated seat loom will it work without the oem switches > is any of this possible ? I’m a bit lost as to where to get ignition power
Old 10th April 2020, 07:23   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starway View Post
I read somewhere that the switches complete the circuit for the ground or something so if I tapped into the existing heated seat loom will it work without the oem switches > is any of this possible ? I’m a bit lost as to where to get ignition power
Get a pair of OEM switches, and the wiring pickup for the power is under the seat already

I've attached the wiring diagram for you

Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Heated seat wiring.pdf (190.6 KB, 12 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2020, 10:14   #4
starway
Regular poster

MG ZT +

Thanks Brian thats great, im guessing it canteasily be done using the original wiring without the OEM switches ?
Very helpful document thanks mate
Old 10th April 2020, 10:56   #5
starway
Regular poster

MG ZT +

Hi just to make sure so I dont get anything wrong, if I get the oem switches, that then means I can just plug the aftermarket heated seat kit to the live and earth under the seats and I wont have to remove anything from the aftermarket wiring kit like an I line fuse or anything from the relay that comes with it.

Can I just plug in live and earth and then press the OEM switch and it will work? Also what about the existing switch that comes with it for low and high setting will this still function? I just need everything exained with the wiring in simple terms so I dont get anything wrong !

Im Guessing it will work to just plug live and earth under each seat and then when I press the oem switch that effectivley makes the circuit live and then my seats will have power ? Is there more complexity than this ? Im really conecerned about if I need to modify anything from the aftermarket wiring so it works with the existing wiring setup. Or will it be as simple.as I stated, like cutting each earth and live under each seat and then resoldering to rhe new kit. And the plug switches behind dash and everyhtings good to go?

Need help please
Old 10th April 2020, 11:31   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Does your aftermarket kit include any wiring diagrams James?

The original switches are designed to operate on a timed basis, and not to operate at all if the thermistor in the original seat heaters go open i.e. when it is up to temperature.

It just seems a shame not to utilise the wiring in place in the car, and the added benefit of it looking OEM too

Switches HERE or have a word with one if the traders on here

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2020, 13:12   #7
starway
Regular poster

MG ZT +

[QUOTE=marinabrian;2805035]Does your aftermarket kit include any wiring diagrams James?

The original switches are designed to operate on a timed basis, and not to operate at all if the thermistor in the original seat heaters go open i.e. when it is up to temperature.

It just seems a shame not to utilise the wiring in place in the car, and the added benefit of it looking OEM too

Switches HERE or have a word with one if the traders on here

Ok well I have purchased 2 heater switches and I have uploaded pics of the diagram and heating pads that I have got

Does that mean the switches might not work properly with the aftermarket kit as it is timed or read from a thermostat that I’m guessing I don’t have.
Old 10th April 2020, 13:13   #8
starway
Regular poster

MG ZT +

https://ibb.co/7j5zjcc

https://ibb.co/3kdGJBd

These are the links to the pics and also here is the ebay link of the ones I purchased.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pads-Ca...4AAOSw9XhddgzI

Last edited by starway; 10th April 2020 at 13:16.. Reason: Adding link
Old 11th April 2020, 22:07   #9
starway
Regular poster

MG ZT +

So will I just be connecting the 2 wires from my heated seat kit to the 2 wires under the the ( the existing loom) and then plug my switches in that I have bought and all is good ? Will it be so easy ?

Thanks james