Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th April 2020, 13:27   #1
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

Default Rover 75 RADIO: DIED for 1 yr, CAME BACK, DIED AGAIN (Highline SatNav-Radio-Tape

The SatNav got wet about 4 years ago, became a parasitic drain and was removed. Was using just the radio for 3 yrs, until a year ago when radio died. Electricals man said fuses OK but no power reaching unit. Then radio recently sprung back into life, was perfectly fine for 2 weeks but then the screen changed to the German language and radio is completely dead now.
Rover 75, V6, 2004, automatic.
Any ideas?

Last edited by lida; 14th April 2020 at 13:30.. Reason: typo
lida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2020, 14:34   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Try a battery off reset. Also I believe language choice is in the settings menu.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2020, 11:09   #3
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Try a battery off reset. Also I believe language choice is in the settings menu.
Thanks, Suzublu, but it doesn't make sense. I did not have a flat batt, and I now realise that just before the radio dies the screen changes to German; that's what happened 3 yrs ago and yesterday.
Old 15th April 2020, 11:29   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lida View Post
Thanks, Suzublu, but it doesn't make sense. I did not have a flat batt, and I now realise that just before the radio dies the screen changes to German; that's what happened 3 yrs ago and yesterday.
No, disconnect the battery for 10 mins and see what happens
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2020, 19:47   #5
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
No, disconnect the battery for 10 mins and see what happens
Thanks. Before I did that, radio came back on. However, a few days later battery dead - even the alarm light was not on. New batt from RAC this morning, checked for parasitic drain (apparently none), radio came back on but in German language. I changed that, it reverted to German several times. Just now, in the evening, radio is completely dead again!

Anyone out there heard of this fault?

Do you know, it had the original Unipart battery must be from 2004 or at least 2007 when I bought her. Lasted 16 years, can you believe it!
Old 21st April 2020, 20:12   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Water in the spare wheel well.
Old 21st April 2020, 21:31   #7
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Wot Trikey said. Get at the tuner in the boot (located on the wheel well rear wall behind the large black plastic blister which is fastened by x4 scrivets - at about rear bumper level but inside the boot). The tuner is located to the O/S of centre, look below it, you'll see the water if there is any. If it's all wet in there you'll need to give it a good drying out - just pull the tuner upwards about an inch and release the black multiplug which is underneath it - there's a sort of crank handle that, when rotated downwards towards the boot floor, jacks out the plug from the tuner socket, it's locked into the closed position by a small plastic tab that needs depressing to release it (sorry it's the best description I can give you). Once the plug is cleared just raise the tuner up and out of it's bracket. I'm sure you can work out what needs to be done to dry everything out (a hairdryer is a good start).
If it's not gone too far you might be able to recover the tuner/plug but electronics don't really take to H2O especially as it appears your's might have been sloshing around for 12 months or so. I'd also give all the sockets and plug pins etc. a good coat of contact grease before you reassemble.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 09:56   #8
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Wot Trikey said. Get at the tuner in the boot (located on the wheel well rear wall behind the large black plastic blister which is fastened by x4 scrivets - at about rear bumper level but inside the boot). The tuner is located to the O/S of centre, look below it, you'll see the water if there is any. If it's all wet in there you'll need to give it a good drying out - just pull the tuner upwards about an inch and release the black multiplug which is underneath it - there's a sort of crank handle that, when rotated downwards towards the boot floor, jacks out the plug from the tuner socket, it's locked into the closed position by a small plastic tab that needs depressing to release it (sorry it's the best description I can give you). Once the plug is cleared just raise the tuner up and out of it's bracket. I'm sure you can work out what needs to be done to dry everything out (a hairdryer is a good start).
If it's not gone too far you might be able to recover the tuner/plug but electronics don't really take to H2O especially as it appears your's might have been sloshing around for 12 months or so. I'd also give all the sockets and plug pins etc. a good coat of contact grease before you reassemble.
============================
Thanks gents, but the wheel well is dry and so is the tuner area. Took the scrivets off and had a good look. It certainly did point to water, but it's something else. EVERY time I switch the radio off & on again, or the car, the screen has changed to the German language. I reset to English, but it will be in German next time I use the car. It's a mystery, and I can't find a fault that is similar to mine on this forum or by googling.
Old 22nd April 2020, 18:12   #9
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lida View Post
============================
Thanks gents, but the wheel well is dry and so is the tuner area. Took the scrivets off and had a good look. It certainly did point to water, but it's something else. EVERY time I switch the radio off & on again, or the car, the screen has changed to the German language. I reset to English, but it will be in German next time I use the car. It's a mystery, and I can't find a fault that is similar to mine on this forum or by googling.
My HiLine Alpine acted in a similar manner and eventually gave up the ghost. Your's could have been wet at some time, no signs of a tide mark or dried sludge?
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2020, 07:58   #10
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
My HiLine Alpine acted in a similar manner and eventually gave up the ghost. Your's could have been wet at some time, no signs of a tide mark or dried sludge?
No tidal mark, no dried sludge. If there ever has been rainwater there, then I think it was a small amount which stayed in the well because the rising slope to where the tuner is kept it in the well.

I agree it's on the way out, but I find it difficult to give up on something if there's no logical sense to it. I am reluctant to spend £140 on a new (old Rover stock) radio esp. as the seller seems unable to answer a question in a straightforward way. The car electricals chap who came to my house a year ago said there was no power getting to the radio, though fuses were intact. So why is power getting to it now - sounds bananas to me?

Anyway, thank you again.