Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th December 2020, 09:48   #21
GaryGee
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

I did same mod on mine but used ally connectors from eBay
Though to get mine working originally I had to remove matrix and blast thru with pressure washer
GaryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2021, 06:13   #22
Fluffle-Valve
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club SE Tourer

My heater is cold on both sides. This is a job that I need to do as well. What engine do you have fitted? Is it a V6?
Fluffle-Valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2023, 18:44   #23
75er
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer cdti

Reviving this old thread, has anyone with a diesel done this heater matrix flushing mod? i.e. cut the inlet and outlet to the heater matrix and flushed out, there isn't much room to get at the pipes.
75er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2023, 10:20   #24
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEWMOND View Post
Party Time!!!!!!! I now have heat blowing from driver & passenger side.
Since buying the car in April 2014 the heat from the passenger side progressively got colder, then the drivers side recently got colder. I'd looked at the threads on removing and cleaning the heater matrix, not easy at my age, maybe 30 years ago, no problem. My mechanic did flush the system, I was there, when I had new antifreeze added early November, but this did not help. I decided to check the inlet hose under the bonnet that goes through the bulkhead to the heater matrix, at normal running temperature, and the hose was very hot. The outlet hose from the heater matrix that returns through the bulkhead was cold. If there had been any circulation at all, it should have been warm. It wasn't.
I decided to flush out the heater matrix directly. This meant cutting both the inlet and outlet hoses in the engine bay. Before doing this I let the engine cool down and removed the radiator cap to release the pressure. I used 1 hose clamp on the inlet and and 1 hose clamp on the outlet pipe so as not to lose coolant from the engine side. I then cut through both pipes about 2 inches from the clamps.
I then back flushed the heater matrix with a hose pipe on full bore i.e. the outlet first. It was amazing the sediment that came out. I then flushed through the inlet hose. Still sediment coming out. I repeated this procedure until it was clear both ways. I then rejoined the hoses with 2 plastic hose connectors, clamping both sides with 4 Jubilee Clips. I ran the engine, but didn't have to wait until it was at running temperature for the result. Within 3 minutes I had heat from both sides with no variation to the touch.
On the subsequent test drive, it's the first time I was able to use the "Auto" control set to only 23 degrees. Phewwww!!
I must say it has surprised me, but if it happens again in the future, it won't be such a long job.

I have a photograph of the finished modification but cant seem to download it. I will keep trying. please respond if you know how. Thanks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE.....PLEASE DO NOT USE THE B&Q INLINE CONNECTORS. THEY MELT, CRACK AND BECOME DEFORMED.

USE THE MAFCO INLINE CONNECTOR AS THEY ARD MADE FOR AUTO USE.

SEE PHOTOS BELOW.

THE MOD IS STILL A GOOD ONE AND WORKS BRILLIANTLY

ALWAYS USE THE MAFCO INLINE CONNECTORS

PRODUCT NUMBER 455-7091 £1.25 EACH PLUS POSTAGE DIRECT FROM MAFCO

Great idea. I'll file this in my mind in case I come across this problem again. Fortunately both my current MG-R's have good heaters.
Old 16th October 2023, 18:08   #25
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I've had to do this on numerous cars over the years - the worst one was a Ford Cougar - it was clogged with very fine sand.

Almost certainly left in the block from casting.
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2023, 00:31   #26
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Right, my 1.8 heater doesn't get really warm, I am sure it did last winter, but since the weather's turned cooler/wetter, it doesn't get very warm inside the car. It demists OK but it isn't the fastest at clearing the screen.

I am planning to adopt the EASYFLUSH mod detailed in the original post, but I have one query...

When my car is upto normal running temps, both heater matrix pipes are warm to the touch... Why?

I would have expected one of them to be cooler.

Sent from my Note_7P using Tapatalk

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Lagetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2023, 09:15   #27
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi all.

Can i ask does anyone know what the ID of the hoses were?

The Mafco part doesn't seem to be available in that part number anymore.

Cheers

Shaun
FantasticMrFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2023, 10:00   #28
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagetha View Post
Right, my 1.8 heater doesn't get really warm, I am sure it did last winter, but since the weather's turned cooler/wetter, it doesn't get very warm inside the car. It demists OK but it isn't the fastest at clearing the screen.

I am planning to adopt the EASYFLUSH mod detailed in the original post, but I have one query...

When my car is upto normal running temps, both heater matrix pipes are warm to the touch... Why?

Sent from my Note_7P using Tapatalk
The blockage is only in part of the matrix, there is still a decent flow around the rest of it..

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 9th November 2023, 10:25   #29
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagetha View Post
When my car is up to normal running temps, both heater matrix pipes are warm to the touch... Why?
I suppose Kevin that the question is: what is the minimum temperature change that the human hand can detect?

Coupled with this, bear in mind that the cooling system aims to maintain a constant temperature, not alternating hot and cold. Also, whilst the coolant must lose some heat in the matrix, this component is quite small and in a relatively warm, confined environment compared with the radiator.

Well, that's my interpretation anyway!

Simon
Old 9th November 2023, 11:53   #30
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

I too can't find the MAFCO connector - has anyone else found a reliable alternative? A search for 18mm connectors brings some up, but I'm not sure of the suitability.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote