Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th January 2019, 17:30   #21
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
Trikey did mine recently, absolutely brilliant.
Drives much nicer and better fuel economy. Basically how the cars should have come from the factory.
Let's face it a 16v two litre should be more than 131bhp, I do wonder if the hand of BMW was behind the low outputs

I don't think there is any question of that ... Saved direct competition to the 3 and 5 series BMW's.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 18:06   #22
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
..............hand of BMW was behind the low outputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I don't think there is any question of that ... Saved direct competition to the 3 and 5 series BMW's.

The 75 would never have been a direct competitor to the 320d as it is a very different car designed for a different type of driver. The two cars complemented each other and if you look at it from the perspective of the target driver profiles, the installed power of the diesels makes sense.

As for being a competitor to the 5 series, that is just pure fantasy. The 5-series is in a significant bracket above the 75 and has always competed with the E-Class.

Also, don't forget that the O-series was a 2-litre power plant of the time and never went above 113BHP in production.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 18:18   #23
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
The 75 would never have been a direct competitor to the 320d as it is a very different car designed for a different type of driver. The two cars complemented each other and if you look at it from the perspective of the target driver profiles, the installed power of the diesels makes sense.

As for being a competitor to the 5 series, that is just pure fantasy. The 5-series is in a significant bracket above the 75 and has always competed with the E-Class.

Also, don't forget that the O-series was a 2-litre power plant of the time and never went above 113BHP in production.

The ZT was a competitor to the 320 but that was after BMW ownership but they still supplied the engines and obviously set limits for warrenty.
I have a ZR TD which has been remapped and is around 165 bhp but a bit smokey and brutal, hopefully its going to be a lot more refined and economical 150 ish this year.
I do wonder what a dieselized M or T series would have been like
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 19:26   #24
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
The ZT was a competitor to the 320 but that was after BMW ownership but they still supplied the engines and obviously set limits for warrenty.
I have a ZR TD which has been remapped and is around 165 bhp but a bit smokey and brutal, hopefully its going to be a lot more refined and economical 150 ish this year.
I do wonder what a dieselized M or T series would have been like
There was a 16 valve L series produced, so bearing in mind the L Series was an evolution development of the Perkins Prima, which is a diesel O Series engine, which is the previous incarnation of the M, and latterly the T Series engine, you could say it did happen.

The M47R was fitted to the R40 models for one reason only, BMW wanted a test mule for the brand new Bosch common rail fuel injection system, that if it had proved to be a failure would not have reflected badly on the BMW brand "oh that will be a Rover problem".

The power output of the engine was 114 BHP (116PS) and the XPower upgrade 129 BHP (131PS) came about only after Rover was sold by BMW, and even this was limited by homogelation and type approval.

Of course all know it is capable of so much more

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 19:41   #25
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

I didn't know about the 16v L series ,what did they test it in
Is the M47R still in production, vi don't know a lot about BMWs but would be handy to know what else its fitted to for parts hunting
Old 12th January 2019, 19:54   #26
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Is the M47R still in production, vi don't know a lot about BMWs but would be handy to know what else its fitted to for parts hunting
It was part of the development nearing the end where 1.9 Fiat engines were being trialled to replace the M47R.

There was definitely one fitted to a HHR, I'm not sure about the L Series diesel being fitted to R40, but it did exist.

I will try and dig out a bit more information for you.

Brian

P.S. there is little likelihood of you needing any M47R bits, the lumps are unfeasibly reliable, and the bread and butter parts you might need are well catered for.
Old 12th January 2019, 20:12   #27
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Trikey did mine recently, absolutely brilliant.
Drives much nicer and better fuel economy. Basically how the cars should have come from the factory.
Let's face it a 16v two litre should be more than 131bhp, I do wonder if the hand of BMW was behind the low outputs
I do believe that the car was "Detuned" so it would not compete with the BMW 3 seriesBy orders of the fuhrer.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 20:13   #28
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Would love to get hold of one, years ago I got hold of a brand new 16v O series which I fitted to a maestro.
Found out later it was from a still born TR7 derivative
Old 12th January 2019, 21:06   #29
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
The evolution of the L-series (called the G-series) was only months away from production when MGR went under. It was due for launch initially in 8v form with various output with a 16v version to follow. Although based on the L-series there was very little carryover apart from the block and parts of the bottom end.

The G-series did actually reach production after the rights were bought under by Indian firm Sonalika.

Prototype 8v engines were fitted to various MGR cars, some of which escaped the crusher and were apparently sold off by the administrators.

Further info:
https://www.aronline.co.uk/facts-and...ain-2000-2005/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_G_series

The engine is just another sad footnote in MGR's story of what could have been.
Old 12th January 2019, 21:20   #30
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
The evolution of the L-series (called the G-series) was only months away from production when MGR went under. It was due for launch initially in 8v form with various output with a 16v version to follow. Although based on the L-series there was very little carryover apart from the block and parts of the bottom end.

The G-series did actually reach production after the rights were bought under by Indian firm Sonalika.

Prototype 8v engines were fitted to various MGR cars, some of which escaped the crusher and were apparently sold off by the administrators.

Further info:
https://www.aronline.co.uk/facts-and...ain-2000-2005/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_G_series

The engine is just another sad footnote in MGR's story of what could have been.
Thanks for that Richard, I couldn't recall the development story

Brian