Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th December 2019, 08:22   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default only 8.15 and what a day

Do you ever get angry and frustrated with yourself for doing something silly?

For the second day on the trot I have made the same mistake, I have plugged the water pump of the FBH into the non used socket. Result, the FBH has not fired up. Really stressed this had caused the pcb to lock out, so this was a "oh for * sake" moment.

Disconnected power, put plug in the correct socket. waited 30 seconds reconnected power and earthed the FBH. I cant hear the dozing pump clicking away. This was a "for * sake" moment.

All goes quiet and then I hear the FBH taking hold, the dozing pump clicking away and the jet engine goes full throttle.

Oh the joy, I am delighted yet weary of it failing.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 20:35   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Do you ever get angry and frustrated with yourself for doing something silly?

For the second day on the trot I have made the same mistake, I have plugged the water pump of the FBH into the non used socket. Result, the FBH has not fired up. Really stressed this had caused the pcb to lock out, so this was a "oh for * sake" moment.

Disconnected power, put plug in the correct socket. waited 30 seconds reconnected power and earthed the FBH. I cant hear the dozing pump clicking away. This was a "for * sake" moment.

All goes quiet and then I hear the FBH taking hold, the dozing pump clicking away and the jet engine goes full throttle.

Oh the joy, I am delighted yet weary of it failing.

macafee2
Buy a petrol, no stupid FBH needed.......job jobbed

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 22:20   #3
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I quite like the antique mini central heating boiler.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 22:33   #4
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I would so like mine to work. Wouldn't know where to start looking for why it doesn't. Checked out the PCB with a magnifying glass, but couldn't see any cracks in the solder or other obvious faults. It doesn't do anything at all - just dead metal. In the recent frosty weather, I took a small gas heater out and sat it on the seat for 10 minutes while I ran the engine up to temperature and had another cup of tea before the morning commute. Had to take the gas heater in the house on a night - frost reduces the butane pressure badly.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 05:13   #5
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

As Brian stated, petrol engine, two keys and a private drive. Start the car, heater on full blast and then lock with second key and have a cup of tea then come out to a lovely warm car
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 07:56   #6
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I would so like mine to work. Wouldn't know where to start looking for why it doesn't. Checked out the PCB with a magnifying glass, but couldn't see any cracks in the solder or other obvious faults. It doesn't do anything at all - just dead metal. In the recent frosty weather, I took a small gas heater out and sat it on the seat for 10 minutes while I ran the engine up to temperature and had another cup of tea before the morning commute. Had to take the gas heater in the house on a night - frost reduces the butane pressure badly.
The Scandinavian solution if you've access to a mains socket: https://www.defa.com/electrical-preh...engine-heater/

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 14:06   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Devilish or frenchmike can check and repair the PCB if faulty.

There are two models. No matter which one you have I would add an earth wire to the largest plug that fits the webasto. This will allow you to manually force the fbh to start. The pin used to earth I think differs on the two models, hopefully someone else will advise.

various tests you can do

flash 12v across the dozing pump to listen to see if it pumps, it is an on off pulsing pump so each dab of 12v gets just 1 click.

apply 12v across the plug for the fan see if that works, there are 3 plugs at the top back of the fbh, I think the fan is the middle.

apply 12v to the water pump, listen to hear if this pumps. the pump I'm sure is polarity conscious

test the resistance of the glow plug, this is the plug with white and blue wires.

resistance must be 0.5 ohm or less. if grater it's duff

once all these tests completed and you have checked fuse 8 in the engine bay fuse box then once all is reassembled earth the FBH. using a stop watch time what you hear, what starts, what stops etc.

Come back with your results and we can help further. The is a list of what is wrong or possibly wrong depending on time when this or that stops.

the pcb could be "locked out" due to something else being wrong

macafee2
Old 6th December 2019, 14:08   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
As Brian stated, petrol engine, two keys and a private drive. Start the car, heater on full blast and then lock with second key and have a cup of tea then come out to a lovely warm car
but then people walk past laughing that you don't have a fuel burning heater

macafee2
Old 7th December 2019, 22:18   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
but then people walk past laughing that you don't have a fuel burning heater

macafee2
Not as bad as people walking past wondering when the doodlebug is going to fall out of the sky.

Andrew, post me your PCB and I'll check it out for you

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 22:20   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
wondering when the doodlebug is going to fall out of the sky.
That made me chuckle