Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd March 2019, 08:07   #1
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Default How does the auto inhibit switch work?

I have an Auto that starts in Drive.

It was thought that the car may have had a manual ecu fitted at some time, but it has been T4’d by Jules who confirmed this is not the case. He has confirmed a correct auto ecu all correctly matched to the car, and suspects the auto inhibit switch may be faulty.

These are quite expensive so i wondered at first if anyone knows how they work, because the display in the message centre correctly shows the status of the gear lever, and knows that it is in Drive, yet still allows the engine to start.

So does the switch have 2 switch outputs in it? Does anyone know how to test one with a multimeter perhaps?

I believe this is the switch in question..

David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2019, 09:14   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

You should be able to see on T4 what gear is selected, back to Jules for a quick plug in I reckon!
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:27   #3
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
You should be able to see on T4 what gear is selected, back to Jules for a quick plug in I reckon!
It is going back to Jules soon to have the work finished, and i was suggested to obtain a new inhibit switch, but they are around £100 on ebay, and for that money i was hoping to test my switch somehow first to confirm it is faulty.

At the moment when i move the lever through each of the positions, the display on the instrument panel correctly changes to match, and yet the car will still start in all gears.

That is why i thought maybe the switch has more than one output. Maybe it can be cleaned or repaired?
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:48   #4
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I'd PM some of the traders here, I suspect you'll get a switch for considerably less than a hundred quid.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2019, 13:29   #5
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

You may want to do a bit more investigation before forking out for another switch. My ZT 180 Auto suffers the same problem and I thought it must be the switch. Bought another one from a breaker for £70 (!) and had it fitted but it made no difference. OK, the second one might have been faulty, but seemed an unlikely coincidence. My investigations at the time seemed to show that they weren't available new anywhere, so I gave up and just take care about gear position when starting. It is annoying, though, and I'd love someone to be able to isolate exactly where the problem is.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2019, 15:56   #6
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
You may want to do a bit more investigation before forking out for another switch. My ZT 180 Auto suffers the same problem and I thought it must be the switch. Bought another one from a breaker for £70 (!) and had it fitted but it made no difference. OK, the second one might have been faulty, but seemed an unlikely coincidence. My investigations at the time seemed to show that they weren't available new anywhere, so I gave up and just take care about gear position when starting. It is annoying, though, and I'd love someone to be able to isolate exactly where the problem is.
Exactly my thoughts. Cheapest i found is £49. For that money i want to know its going to fix the problem. I would like to know how it works when it is clearly sending out a signal to the instrument panel correctly. Must be another signal that doesnt show somewhere that does the “inhibit” function.

It would be good to get hold of another one to open up and find out how it works. Maybe mine can be cleaned or repaired somehow.
Old 3rd March 2019, 20:41   #7
livinginthepast
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

Haynes manual says this fault may be either a faulty inhibitor switch or the selector cable needs adjustment .
livinginthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 10:15   #8
livinginthepast
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

Haynes manual also shows how to set the switch adjustment when fitting it
livinginthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 12:25   #9
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

I believe that it is the ews that provides the starter inhibit.
It receives a signal on a pin to indicate the car is in park, and if that signal is present (along with the rest of the immobiliser inhibits) then the car can turn over.
On a manual this pin is not connected, and the ews is programmed not to check the state of this pin. This programming can be done using Toaf - may be worth checking to make sure the ews does not think it is a manual.

I don't have the wiring diagrams to hand to check where the signal to the ews originates though.
Hope this helps
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote