Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th June 2018, 10:49   #1
jens_munk

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Catalytic converter

The catalytic converter on my 1999 2.0 V6 is leaking. It is one of the early models with a serial number of 105090. Rimmer Bros claim that this is no longer available for serial numbers lower than 208019. Other sources do not seem to indicate any difference.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-WCJ000391SLPP

Will the available presumably later type fit or will I have to weld in a universal converter?

Thanks,
jens_munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 13:22   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The Rimmer listing explains: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001940
There, you'll see the original for yours (P/N WCJ101020) and no longer available, should be replaced with WCJ000391SLP or WCJ000391SLPP. The cheaper option is a third party 'P' (Pattern match) to the more expensive MGR 'Service Line Part'. I suspect equivalents/cheaper to these are also available from exhaust supply companies.

There are lots on eBay if you're on a budget:https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...alyst&_sacat=0

All the above should fit without welding anything. You'll have to cut the old pipe after the catalyst and use a pipe clamp or butt connector depending on what comes at the rear end of the catalyst section.
TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 11th June 2018 at 13:33..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 15:03   #3
jens_munk

Rover 75 Saloon

This is also the impression I got from the Rimmer listing, but when I asked them they said the only one that would fit my car (they got the VIN) was the no longer available WCJ101020 and that there was an error on the web site. To be honest I don't believe the guy, since the manifolds and intermediate section are the same on all years. My best guess for the difference is that emission requirements increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The Rimmer listing explains: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001940
There, you'll see the original for yours (P/N WCJ101020) and no longer available, should be replaced with WCJ000391SLP or WCJ000391SLPP. The cheaper option is a third party 'P' (Pattern match) to the more expensive MGR 'Service Line Part'. I suspect equivalents/cheaper to these are also available from exhaust supply companies.

There are lots on eBay if you're on a budget:https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...alyst&_sacat=0

All the above should fit without welding anything. You'll have to cut the old pipe after the catalyst and use a pipe clamp or butt connector depending on what comes at the rear end of the catalyst section.
TC
Old 11th June 2018, 17:07   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

The only difference I saw when I changed mine recently was my launch model only has two sensors (one for each bank.) The replacement had a third threaded hole in the pipe after the Cat. I simply screwed an old sensor in there and cut off the wires.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 19:43   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

@stocktake
That's presumably what Rimmer would suggest for their recommended alternative on their listings. Seemingly, the guy offering advice wasn't aware of that. A suitable short bolt would do I guess.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 19:52   #6
jens_munk

Rover 75 Saloon

I certainly got the impression that the Rimmer guy, Andy, was pretty clueless, but I will probably buy from them anyway, since they have the middle section as original for a good price.

Quote:
@stocktake
That's presumably what Rimmer would suggest for their recommended alternative on their listings. Seemingly, the guy offering advice wasn't aware of that. A suitable short bolt would do I guess.

TC
Old 11th June 2018, 19:55   #7
jens_munk

Rover 75 Saloon

That makes perfectly sense. Either it has been required to have an extra sensor or Rover themselves have figured it was a good idea. In fact I think it is a requirement, since it allows detection of a defective converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
The only difference I saw when I changed mine recently was my launch model only has two sensors (one for each bank.) The replacement had a third threaded hole in the pipe after the Cat. I simply screwed an old sensor in there and cut off the wires.
Old 12th June 2018, 07:18   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Wonder why Rimmers only list one centre section for the Rover and the ZT?
Rover has 57mm OD and ZT 60mm as far as I am aware. I know this as I have a stainless back box and when I cut my original center section to fit it there was a rather large gap Angle grin her quickly made a sleeve from old exhaust section

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 08:53   #9
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Be careful with aftermarket Cats!
Some struggle to get though one MOT let alone more.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 17:19   #10
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

Rimmers do list separate 75 and ZT intermediate sections, but the ZT one is aftermarket pattern only and not illustrated
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote