Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th May 2018, 16:33   #1
ml.williams
Avid contributor

ZT_T 190

Default V6 intermittent starting problem

My V6 has started failing to start, it sounded lethargic yesterday and today from cold it failed to start just a nice loud click.

I took it out and took it to a local refurb place. Reinstalled it and tested it and I now get intermittent starts. Roughly one out of every 2 starts it works and the rest it’s just clicking again, it feels like the solenoid is firing when it’s clicking, when it runs it just goes.

Battery look ok but I hooked it up to a second car to make sure voltage was ample.

Is there a relay activating that I should check or any other ideas?

I’ve read about the solenoid kits which I would hope the refurbisher’s would have checked but I can’t check that till tomorrow, is there any way to tell or test this?
ml.williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2018, 22:54   #2
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default V6 intermittent starting

You don't say what the refurbisher purported to have done to the starter. I had exactly the symptoms you describe and had my garage fit one of the solenoid contact kits that I sourced on Ebay. Result - starts first time every time. Kit cost around £16 from memory - my garage were a bit doubtful at first and said they'd have just fitted a new starter, but had to admit the kit did the job!
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote