Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd November 2019, 19:49   #11
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I think another thing to consider when fixing rain leaks, is the area needs to be thoroughly dry. Sealants and blocking solutions must either cure or dry out on a suitable surface and you really don't get that at this time of year. The best time is during a warm, rain-free spell. Unfortunately, we tend to forget about fixing leaks in the part of the year when they aren't a problem. Anyway, that's certainly why I still get boot puddles.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2019, 20:29   #12
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Thumbs up This may help

I had a bad boot leak on one of my Saloons and eventually found it entering from one of the grips holding the chrome trim strip down the rear wing. I gently eased the strip away from the car with pointed matches , slid some card along to locate all the grips and then liberally surrounded each grip with Silicone Sealant. In fact , I then ran silicone along the entire length of the strip. That killed the leak dead ! SO , I decided to repeat that process along the entire length of ALL of the Chrome strips and also the entire length of each Chrome Sill Finisher too.
Next , I tackled the rear window trim securing clips since they are a ‘known’ boot leak hazard ! There is an excellent ‘How to’ by Rich17865 at Ref http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=101522 . You really should follow it.
Of course the Rear Lights seal is also worth ‘Silicone sealing’ .
Finally , I removed the entire boot seal rubber , applied a lot of Silicone into the channel and refitted it.
Both my Saloons had this treatment and I do not get boot leaks !
All the best.
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2019, 23:11   #13
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
the Rear Lights seal is also worth ‘Silicone sealing’

Finally , I removed the entire boot seal rubber , applied a lot of Silicone into the channel and refitted it.

All the best.
Thanks unnerving, I'm thinking almost along the exact same lines.

When you say sealing the rear lights I have fitted new gaskets and tightened the 3 bolts to was wondering about applying a bead of silicon along the top and edge of the light fitting so no water can run anywhere near the light fitting. On YouTube I saw a video where someone suggests applying sealant to the seal which I think could be a bit messy. Which one are you suggesting?

Sealing in my boot seal with sealant I'm seriously considering as I've found water under the seal.

I may lay out some news paper in the boot and lower the back seal then hose off the rear of the car. Using this tactic should work as keep opening the boot lid can lead to water dripping in and confusing matters.

I will report back whatever this is as it might help other members.
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2019, 08:33   #14
shadysadie
Loves to post

BRG Connie Auto KV6, Dorchester red Jap. spec. Auto KV6 and 1967 Volvo 122S "Amazon"

Silicon is not the answer regarding rear light seals. All you need is a light smear of vaseline on both faces of the seal to make them totally waterproof and also easily removable if necessary.
shadysadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2019, 10:19   #15
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
I had a lot of water in boot,cured it by,open boot lift up window seal along bottom edge and gave 3/4 clips a soaking in wd40. A lot of NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- was washed out.Then a while later gave clips a good squirting of Captain Tolleys sealant. Seems to have worked.
Yes: I think that is where my leak is, but I am not brave enough to lift the rear window seal. The rear window seal chaffs onthe boot lid and removes the paint. I've seen a lot of 75's with rust on the lip of the boot caused by the window seal. Its a problem area. It seems that its t he nearside area is the problem for some reason.
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2019, 15:38   #16
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
Yes: I think that is where my leak is, but I am not brave enough to lift the rear window seal. The rear window seal chaffs onthe boot lid and removes the paint. I've seen a lot of 75's with rust on the lip of the boot caused by the window seal. Its a problem area. It seems that its t he nearside area is the problem for some reason.
If it helps,i had help, to just lift up the 2" of seal near clip. Found something useful for g/son to do.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2019, 10:36   #17
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

it rained most of Sat and the boot is totally dry. This was achieved with repairing small rip and pinhole in boot seal and winding in the rubber spacers so the lid closes tighter. i also removed the seal and cleaned muck out of the area before replacing the seal. Looks like job done with minimal work thankfully.
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2019, 10:55   #18
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
it rained most of Sat and the boot is totally dry. This was achieved with repairing small rip and pinhole in boot seal and winding in the rubber spacers so the lid closes tighter. i also removed the seal and cleaned muck out of the area before replacing the seal. Looks like job done with minimal work thankfully.
Now you've wound in the rubber buffers on the lid, check the opening operation It might "machine gun"
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2019, 11:21   #19
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Hi all.

This is a post I did a while back in Aug 2017. Th mystery leak near boot latch asn't re occurred.

leak in boot see fotoes. Done 7 different leaks before and with freelancers help i posted this a while back.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=251938

So this is what iv found then. Fotoes are taken from inside of boot (As if I was sitting on th spare wheel) facing th back wall were th lights are. Carpet and panel removed. So th big question is. As any one had this one and what was there cure. Red felt tip arrows showing water coming through th o/s inner and outer bulk head. Collecting behind th wires and then off down to th spare tyre well.

A year on or so..

Recently iv re painted (these looked sound) all th seams and boot hinges. My paper towel on th O/S drivers rear lamp still gets wet. Th inner boot side cover is permanently off so I can feel around. In th last 3 months there is no water getting to th lamp. So im going to get a new seal and smear with Vaseline and nip up (don't over tighten) th nutts. Hope this helps.

Phil
Old 25th November 2019, 11:26   #20
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

If link doesn't open try this...
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=272208