Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th July 2016, 18:34   #1
Stagman42

Rover 75

Default Rover 75 2.5 V6 Starting Problems

Hi I'm new to the site. Am on my 5th Rover now. Had 4 45's never had any problems with any of them other than one being written off as a result of an accident. Always loved them as I can work on them myself. Reliable and cheap as chips to run. Never had any head gasket problems either.
Now on a Rover 75 2.5 V6. It's an absolute gem of a car so comfortable and effortless to drive. Just one problem every now and again it will not start. When you turn the key just get a clicking noise. This always seems to be worse when it has not been run for a few days or so. When being used regularly is ok. Have been told it could be the cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor, starter motor or immobiliser problem. Battery not been tested but lights do not dim so assume ok? Has anyone any ideas of what to try? I’m leaning to the battery as when it is run around should be charged up and so that’s why it works. However, I have paperwork to say the battery was changed in 2011 so it is getting on a bit. I am assuming if it was one of the sensors that the engine would turn but not start is this correct? So battery or starter motor is the question. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete
Stagman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 18:46   #2
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Check and clean the Lucas spade terminal on the starter motor if corroded it cause this issue.
Old 26th July 2016, 18:51   #3
Stagman42

Rover 75

Hi thanks will get that checked out
Old 26th July 2016, 19:18   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagman42 View Post
Battery not been tested but lights do not dim so assume ok?
Unfortunately Pete, on the 75/ZT that theory doesn't work! The battery either turns the engine over or it doesn't. When it doesn't, due to being discharged, the instrument pack warning lights usually go crazy.

Try Plezier's suggestion. If that doesn't work, you may need the starter solenoid repair kit. But if you're not using the car much, or only for short journeys, it would be worth charging the battery for 24 hours plus; just to be sure.

Simon
Old 26th July 2016, 20:48   #5
Stagman42

Rover 75

Thanks Simon appreciate the advice. I'm going to check the starter tomorrow so will see what happens once done. Pete
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:09   #6
jagfan1

rover 75 2.5 v6 club se

Default starting problems 2.5 v6

hi i have same problem when i turn key sometimes nothing wait 2 miniutes engine turns over and starts had this happen and changed the battery but a couple of weeks later fault has returned intermittantly battery is fully charged reading over 13 volts have checked all visable connectors will look at the starter connections and let you know if i find anything that mihgt help you ken
jagfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2018, 14:15   #7
gunner9662

rover75 2.5 v6 connisour SE 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfan1 View Post
hi i have same problem when i turn key sometimes nothing wait 2 miniutes engine turns over and starts had this happen and changed the battery but a couple of weeks later fault has returned intermittantly battery is fully charged reading over 13 volts have checked all visable connectors will look at the starter connections and let you know if i find anything that mihgt help you ken

Hi jagfan

Did you figure out the issue? As I've been having starting issues with my 75 2.5 v6
Sometimes I goto start my car and get nothing no clicking nothing battery is brand new so I can rule that out.. it doesn't happen all the time I can go a week or so with out any issues then it will play up again. Today was shopping with the wife and again decided to not start. I thought I would have a look under the bonnet and I removed the airbox and messed about with the loom near the starter and it started up not sure if it was a coincidence. So I just wanted to know did you find the fault and do u think my issue lies with the solenoid?
gunner9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2018, 14:28   #8
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

Starter motor solenoid contacts a very likely culprit. A £16 (approx) kit available from a very good supplier on the bay of E - a Google search should locate easily. I had exactly these symptoms and the said kit cured it completely - now have reliable starting first time every time from a starter motor that has been on for 116K miles! The kit supplier makes the point that our starter motors are actually very strong and reliable, the only part usually failing being the solenoid contacts.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2018, 15:10   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner9662 View Post
Hi jagfan
Did you figure out the issue?
Jagfan hasn't logged-in for eighteen months Adrian so I wouldn't hold out much hope for a reply.

However Tracker has some wise words for you (above).

Simon
Old 13th November 2018, 01:23   #10
gunner9662

rover75 2.5 v6 connisour SE 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Starter motor solenoid contacts a very likely culprit. A £16 (approx) kit available from a very good supplier on the bay of E - a Google search should locate easily. I had exactly these symptoms and the said kit cured it completely - now have reliable starting first time every time from a starter motor that has been on for 116K miles! The kit supplier makes the point that our starter motors are actually very strong and reliable, the only part usually failing being the solenoid contacts.

Thank you for your help I will order some and get them installed. My 75 has just covered 132000 and enjoy every moment I go out in it but used to fear it not starting next time I came to it. Now I know what to replace I can put those worries to bed,well until I get the parts and fitted them lol ... thank you again Tracker
gunner9662 is offline   Reply With Quote