Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th September 2018, 12:59   #1
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Default Severe brake fluid leak

I was parked on a hill this morning facing forward and on returning to the car I noticed oil which I presume is brake fluid leaking from the Right hand side of the undertray. I have no warning lights, but the fluid level in the reservoir is right down. Brakes still work OK and there's no oil on the passenger footwell nor the drivers footwell. Car is parked up until I find out what it is! Any clues? I am thinking of calling home start to get a diagnosis. It smells expensive!! Hope its not!
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 13:29   #2
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

The brake pipes do not pass through the interior of the car so that’s why no evidence of fluid in the footwells.
As you say it’s at the front the usual spor where a brake pipe goes is inside the wheel arch where the brake pipes pass from the engine bay and join onto the flex hose.
As on all cars nowadays brakes are dual circuit so if one leaks or bursts you still have limited brakes.
Best not to drive the car until it’s fixed.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 04:04   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

It is possible for a brake pipe to chafe, perhaps on bodywork, and therefore it's worth tracing the entire length of each of them, but don't assume the leak is on the side that the oil is dripping from. Do however, check the length of all pipes even if you find one leak. Clean as you go so that you can be completely sure you have covered all pipes.

Just to clarify, which reservoir have you found the contents low? i.e., where is the reservoir?

Good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 08:24   #4
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

I had something similar with a pool of fluid coming from the area of the o/s/f. It turned out to be a coolant leak from the blue O ring on the thermostat pipe. It was collecting on the undertray and pouring out intermittently depending on the level of the road. Just one to check as it had me baffled for a few days until I noticed the coolant level drop and a pressure test confirmed it.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 08:56   #5
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Andy Willie will get to the bottom of it! I'm sure. Its booked in with Andy !
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote