Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th September 2018, 08:24   #1
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Smile Free MOT

'Free' MOT when you buy a £1 air freshener - and you've 1yr+ to book it. Buy anything at Halfords and get a code for a free MOT to use between now and Oct 2019. The cheapest item we found is a £1 air freshener. It's a roaring deal as MOTs can cost £55,
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 08:48   #2
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Cool tip, I am very careful about the MOT now though, now they have the power to effectively take your car off the road right there with a dangerous fault. If it needed work you'd be stuck at a Halfords garage unless you had it towed away.
Old 12th September 2018, 09:02   #3
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

mmm.....free MOT so they can find some other work to do?
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 09:02   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

My daughter had her Volvo MOT'd at Halfrauds. Failed on wiper blade! New pair of wiper blades fitted. A month later upon first use of wipers since test, she heard a scratching noise. The clip was cracked and the blade frame was sliding sideways on the window, scratching it. As they were 200 miles from home, they called in at local Halfrauds. They would not replace it but sold them another one and told them to take up the complaint with the original fitters!
Old 12th September 2018, 09:14   #5
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

Am always wary of free or cut price MOT's.
Am guessing the bulk of these cut price MOT's fail the first time and require work doing that wouldn't need doing at places that charge the full price.
So you end up paying more for your MOT at the end of the day by going for the cut price offers.
Have always lumped Halfords in with Kwikfit as places to avoid re having work or MOT's done on cars
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 09:16   #6
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnose75 View Post
Am always wary of free or cut price MOT's.
Am guessing the bulk of these cut price MOT's fail the first time and require work doing that wouldn't need doing at places that charge the full price.
So you end up paying more for your MOT at the end of the day by going for the cut price offers.
Have always lumped Halfords in with Kwikfit as places to avoid re having work or MOT's done on cars
To be fair I once done an MOT for a tenner, it failed on fuel cap (stupidly left it behind on the forecourt that morning) so I got a new one and no fee for the re-test
Old 12th September 2018, 10:07   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

It's a great offer if the car owner is confident in the state of his/her car. This should always be the case.

But, the reality is that most people use the MOT to identify the minimum amount of work that will keep their car on the road and they get this amount of work done to pass the MOT.

Halford's offer relies on most people falling in the latter category. Kudos to them for coming up with an innovative way of increasing their customer base.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 10:23   #8
Retrorob
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I am always wary of anything offered for free. I have used a independent local garage for 30 years they don't rip me off only do what is required and are very helpfully. Yes they charge the full MOT price but if it fails it's an honest fail. Additionaly they need to make a profit which includes the MOT. Reduced MOTs are a way generate repairs that are often not needed and overpriced if we all drift off to the likes of Halfords small independant trust worthy garages will disappear and we will all pay a much higher price to keep our cars on the road.
Retrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 10:36   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Get a free MOT or a free lunch, whichever is the lower.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 10:44   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

my son had his Rover 25 moted at Halfords this week and I had the 75 done another day at the same Halfords. both passed with no advisories but was this the corerect decision?
I noticed an exhaust heat shield torn away at one of the fixings on the 75 and the mot tester said handbrake could be better. Heat shield repaired when I got home, handbrake will have to wait for a few weeks but I thought it was quite ok

Sons car has an oil leak, rear wiper rubber is missing and I'm not convinced by the rear tyres.

we want out cars to be safe but I'd prefer advisories that I can go and fix then fails that leave me stranded but Halfords have not failed the cars to gain work, they just did not seem to notice.

would I use Halfords again, probably
macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote