Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st January 2018, 15:59   #1
batz
Avid contributor

MG ZT190 and MG ZT 160+

Default More exhaust stuff...

The exhaust on my ZT190 is a mix of bits, different sizes, not necessarily correct, welded together. The tail box is a wider bore than the mid section and the cat. The cat has failed and needs replacing. I thought I would rplace the whole system with one which I know to be correct. Rimmer's catalogue is not that great on part applications. Can anyone tell me the correct part numbers for the wider bore 190 exhaust cat/front pipe, mid section and tail box?
batz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 16:37   #2
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Hi Batz,
If you are keeping your car for a while it might be an idea to think about going the s/s route!
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 17:44   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batz View Post
Can anyone tell me the correct part numbers for the wider bore 190 exhaust cat/front pipe, mid section and tail box?
Rimmer quotes:

Cat/Front Pipe is WCD001071
Click: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-WCD001071

Remember there are catalysts of many variations. The Rimmer/OEM will be the best (ceramic). Cheaper alternatives will contain much cheaper 'wire wool' catalysts that may have shorter service life.

Mid-Section is WCE000530P (Only 'P' aftermarket equivalent is offered)
Click: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-WCE000530P

Tail Box is WCG000301 (OEM) or WCG000301P (aftermarket equivalent)
Click: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-WCG000301
or: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-WCG000301P

For the tail box, most suppliers sell the aftermarket pattern ('P' version). I'm surprised that Rimmer still list the clamshell (OEM) type. You can get the Bosol branded back box (MGR supplier and as per Rimmer) for a lot less money elsewhere.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 1st January 2018 at 17:51..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 13:27   #4
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default ZT back box

If you read the Rimmers page fully, you will see it does actually say "No longer available" in respect of the OEM clamshell style back box.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 13:36   #5
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

If you are going to keep the car I think the stainless route is the answer, more than standard but you will never have to do it again, that's what did.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 16:44   #6
laser558
Avid contributor

MG ZT260 MGZT-T 190 Rover 75 Tourer MG ZT 190+

Only the original clamshell back boxes retain the refinement of the car - that includes the 75 as well. All others seem to be only single skinned and do not sit in the original hangers. As a result, even the alternatives supplied by Rimmers are quite a lot noisier.

I have never had a s.s. replacement so cannot comment on how they sound. But both my 75 and ZT lost their refinement when I had to settle for non originals.

A shame, but I'll be very surprised if there is enough (perceived) demand to have the originals manufactured again.

P S Remember that the 190 has a wider bore than all the other V6 derivatives and also originally had modified internals to the back box to improve performance. This was part of the "tune up" over the 177 and 160 versions.

Last edited by laser558; 2nd January 2018 at 16:47.. Reason: Add P S
laser558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 22:37   #7
batz
Avid contributor

MG ZT190 and MG ZT 160+

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser558 View Post
Only the original clamshell back boxes retain the refinement of the car - that includes the 75 as well. All others seem to be only single skinned and do not sit in the original hangers. As a result, even the alternatives supplied by Rimmers are quite a lot noisier.

I have never had a s.s. replacement so cannot comment on how they sound. But both my 75 and ZT lost their refinement when I had to settle for non originals.

A shame, but I'll be very surprised if there is enough (perceived) demand to have the originals manufactured again.

P S Remember that the 190 has a wider bore than all the other V6 derivatives and also originally had modified internals to the back box to improve performance. This was part of the "tune up" over the 177 and 160 versions.
It's the wider bore which has caused problems at exhaust centres - they don't see the difference which is how I ended up with a welded mess and under-performance.
Old 2nd January 2018, 22:38   #8
batz
Avid contributor

MG ZT190 and MG ZT 160+

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Rimmer quotes:

Cat/Front Pipe is WCD001071
Click: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-WCD001071

Remember there are catalysts of many variations. The Rimmer/OEM will be the best (ceramic). Cheaper alternatives will contain much cheaper 'wire wool' catalysts that may have shorter service life.

Mid-Section is WCE000530P (Only 'P' aftermarket equivalent is offered)
Click: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-WCE000530P

Tail Box is WCG000301 (OEM) or WCG000301P (aftermarket equivalent)
Click: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-WCG000301
or: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-WCG000301P

For the tail box, most suppliers sell the aftermarket pattern ('P' version). I'm surprised that Rimmer still list the clamshell (OEM) type. You can get the Bosol branded back box (MGR supplier and as per Rimmer) for a lot less money elsewhere.

TC
Thanks! Are they the wider bore?
Old 2nd January 2018, 22:39   #9
batz
Avid contributor

MG ZT190 and MG ZT 160+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi_crawf View Post
If you are going to keep the car I think the stainless route is the answer, more than standard but you will never have to do it again, that's what did.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
I know - after March I may have to replace it with a Forester as work and domestics change. I want, just for a while, to have it running as it should.
Old 2nd January 2018, 22:43   #10
batz
Avid contributor

MG ZT190 and MG ZT 160+

Thanks people! I'm considering the Rimmer supplied front pipe which I know is correct and a s/s remainder from EMP at St Albans. Need a quote but won't be cheap!