Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th July 2010, 20:20   #1
eddiemc05
Gets stuck in

Mg zt ctdi

Smile Clutch drop

Hi can any one tell me wheater or not the 1.8 n/a 75 con 03, has the dropping clutch pedal problem to look forward to, and also does it have a duel mass flywheel like the diesels, what is the fix for the pedal drop if it goes?
Old 26th July 2010, 20:38   #2
matt_tdv6
Avid contributor

04 ZT CDTI & 04 MG ZR Express

How much pedal drop? All the way to the floor?

Mine sometimes sticks down about halfway and needs to be pulled up with your toe under the pedal

Ive tried bleeding it but thinking it may be the slave cylinder
matt_tdv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 21:44   #3
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemc05 View Post
Hi can any one tell me wheater or not the 1.8 n/a 75 con 03, has the dropping clutch pedal problem to look forward to, and also does it have a duel mass flywheel like the diesels, what is the fix for the pedal drop if it goes?
yes there all the same,the cure either a master clutch cylinder or more commonly a slave and clutch but the dmf does not always fail mines not noisy its not being replaced

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 21:48   #4
eddiemc05
Gets stuck in

Mg zt ctdi

No probs as yet just getting prepared, tryed to check clutch fluid but its behind all the pedals and couldnt turn the lid, tight as a ducks !!!, all looks clean and dry tho, dies anyone know an easy way to check this?
Old 27th July 2010, 23:04   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

You cannot really check it, apart from filling it and waiting for the overflow.

I used a big screw driver and a hammer to gently loosen the top. inside there is a large rubber nipple, which takes up a lot of the space in there. Some cut this off - which is exactly what I have now done, to allow more space for fluid in there.

I topped it up with a long narrow plastic tube, using a syringe less the plunger as a funnel and an assistant to pour it in. A length of wire in the tube at the cylinder end allows you to form it into a hook, to hook onto the cylinder to keep it in place and lots of newspaper on the carpet to catch the spills.

Whilst you are there, it is worth bleeding it too. Blow all of the old fluid out. If its allowed to run dry (it doesn't hold much, your pedal goes down and stays down or at least mine did. Cutting the nipple down, gives the cylinder a lot more capacity and more time to spot a problem leak, before you loose your clutch.

I suspect the pedal staying down might be the first sign of it running out of fluid. There seems to be no return spring on the pedal, it relies entirely on the clutch spring pressure to push it back up.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 27th July 2010 at 23:07..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 07:55   #6
eddiemc05
Gets stuck in

Mg zt ctdi

thanks for good advice,still sounds tricky as hell tho, full bleed should prolong cylindr life, how are they bled?
Old 30th July 2010, 20:22   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemc05 View Post
thanks for good advice,still sounds tricky as hell tho, full bleed should prolong cylindr life, how are they bled?
Take the cylinder top off, mine was too tight for fingers so I loosened it with a long screwdriver perched on one of the nibs on the cover and a gentle tap with a hammer.

Fill it to the top with DOT 4, the only way to tell it is full, is to cause it to overflow. I used an old syringe as a funnel held high, with some thin plastic tube on its nose, leading down then back up into the cylinder. A bit of thin steel wire in the end of the tube allow you to bend it into a hook shape so it stay put on the cylinder.

Once full, it gives you a couple of strokes on the peddle to push the old fluid out.

If you look on top of the gearbox, at the NS of the engine, you should see two pipes going down into the gearbox area via a rubber seal. One is from the master cylinder down to the slave cylinder in the cluth, the other just comes back out and stops with a bleed nipple on the end.

You need two spanners on that, one to hold it the other to release it. Get someone to press the peddle whilst another releases the fluid out of the nipple, keeping the peddle down at the end of the stroke until the nipple is tightened slightly to stop air being drawn in. Then let the peddle back up and repeat - until you are certain all the old fluid has been flushed out. Finally tighten it back up properly.

You must keep the master cylinder well topped up throughout, because if air gets drawn in - you start again. Finally before refitting the top, cut off most of the black nipple. make sure you leave enough of it still in the top to form a good seal in the cover.

The idea of the nipple thingummy was to make the system a sealed for life one, so the fluid level could fall slightly without air and moisture mixing with the fluid - but it takes up lots of space in the cylinder better used for fluid. It just means you now need to bleed and top it up every few years, which should make the system last much longer. Your larger cylinder also gives you more fluid so better able to cope with slight leakages.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:41   #8
moomoo
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Take the cylinder top off, mine was too tight for fingers so I loosened it with a long screwdriver perched on one of the nibs on the cover and a gentle tap with a hammer.

Fill it to the top with DOT 4, the only way to tell it is full, is to cause it to overflow. I used an old syringe as a funnel held high, with some thin plastic tube on its nose, leading down then back up into the cylinder. A bit of thin steel wire in the end of the tube allow you to bend it into a hook shape so it stay put on the cylinder.

Once full, it gives you a couple of strokes on the peddle to push the old fluid out.

If you look on top of the gearbox, at the NS of the engine, you should see two pipes going down into the gearbox area via a rubber seal. One is from the master cylinder down to the slave cylinder in the cluth, the other just comes back out and stops with a bleed nipple on the end.

You need two spanners on that, one to hold it the other to release it. Get someone to press the peddle whilst another releases the fluid out of the nipple, keeping the peddle down at the end of the stroke until the nipple is tightened slightly to stop air being drawn in. Then let the peddle back up and repeat - until you are certain all the old fluid has been flushed out. Finally tighten it back up properly.

You must keep the master cylinder well topped up throughout, because if air gets drawn in - you start again. Finally before refitting the top, cut off most of the black nipple. make sure you leave enough of it still in the top to form a good seal in the cover.

The idea of the nipple thingummy was to make the system a sealed for life one, so the fluid level could fall slightly without air and moisture mixing with the fluid - but it takes up lots of space in the cylinder better used for fluid. It just means you now need to bleed and top it up every few years, which should make the system last much longer. Your larger cylinder also gives you more fluid so better able to cope with slight leakages.
is there any pictures o here on to show this being done??
moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:44   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

No photos that I am aware of, it would be a rather awkward spot to attempt to get a camera in to take photos. It is quite easy and quick to take a look at it - just undo the two screws which fix the plastic panel above your feet when you are driving. As I recall, the lower panel drops down and the upper one with switch surround should then just pull out towards the steering wheel. The latter has three spring clips along its upper edge against which you need to pull.

Look up above the clutch pedal and you will see the cylinder, but you may need a torch.