Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd November 2018, 05:59   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default hmmm, Back firing diesel

Good morning. Last night I dropped some Forte diesel additive into the fuel tank to give the system a clean out before next Tuesday's mot and the ever tightening emissions test. Coming to work this morning though the car embarrassingly back fired twice after my Italian tune up on the deserted roads followed by a cloud of smoke. By the time I got to work the smoke had clear up. No loss of power or warning lights so fingers crossed it's ok. I'm at a loss though to why forte has caused this though. I may top the fuel tank up tonight on the way home just to dilute it a little just in case it's too concentrated :-),
Edit,,,,After reading up on the internet it appears it's impossible for a diesel to "backfire" so I'm at a complete loss to what it was :-)

Last edited by johnnyb44; 2nd November 2018 at 06:39..
johnnyb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:24   #2
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Perhaps EGR valve problem letting in too much gas to the cylinder, so it would misfire as opposed to backfire.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 21:42   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi John. I have never used Forte additive. All I have ever used in my diesel is Redex cleaner. My mot has always been passed with a very low figure for emissions. All I do is put the required amount in the tank before going for an mot, and take it for a quick blast in second gear for around half a mile at 4000 rpm, turn round and do the same again. On the way to my mot, around 4 miles, I only use three gears, 1,2,3. Keep the revs up around 3000. .
Old 4th November 2018, 00:12   #4
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Hi David and hope your well buddy.
Sorry for the bad spelling or pronunciation ( to much beer and karaoke tonight).
After the car's unceremoniously burp on Friday morning it has performed faultlessly ever since. I'm starting to think I may have put to much forte in the tank to the amount of diesel. There's no visible black smoke I can detect and the car is running better than ever :-) Hopefully Mr Mot man will give it another clean Bill of health on Tuesday for another year. I hardly ever rev my car over 2000 rpm these days and now cover less the 7000 miles a year. I've actually cycled more miles this year than driving ! :-) I'm starting to think my poor old car is getting somewhat clogged up with carbon ,and with the hard drive I gave it in Friday morning with an overdose of forte injector cleaner has blowout the "gills" Anyway time will tell by Tuesday and hopefully it will sail though it's test.
All very best,
Johnny