Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th November 2023, 12:07   #1
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default R75 diagnostics

I seen a number of threads on this and am contemplating TOAF and just want to buy the bits, download and use.
I've got a few questions (and I'm not particularly software savvy):
- I use a MacBook Pro as my daily laptop tool and I believe I can use my MacBook for TOAF if I create a virtual Windows drive but I don't want to risk/compromise my Mac.
- am I correct in presuming TOAF was initially designed to operate around MS Windows and, as I can get hold of a laptop for very little dosh/a pint which version Windows works best/with least issues?
- I've just read a back history about 'compatible' interface cables, is there a cable available that is specifically designed to work with Windows, I've found one supplied by KKL in Wales at £19.50 advertised to plug and play....is it suitable?
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2023, 12:16   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

There are people who've got Toaf to work on a Mac but I did the same as you're thinking of doing - buy a cheap XP laptop (funny they call it a laptop when it weighs a ton compared to my MacBook Air).

Save yourself some grief and buy one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174768878...Bk9SR_qEjI35Yg

And then have fun with strange things called drivers and device managers

Good luck

ps. As yours is a late model then if you want to read the SRS system install Vista or higher, and the additional Autoliv file in downloads

Last edited by vitesse; 13th November 2023 at 13:27.. Reason: More info
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2023, 18:07   #3
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I've got TOAF installed on my MacBook Pro.

You need a USB-to-ODBD cable, and you may also need to install a MacOS driver for that. After that, install WINE and use it to run TOAF. Works for me, although this is on my old 2010 MacBook Pro. I have not yet tried it on my newer one.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2023, 17:17   #4
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

You could always buy a cheap second hand Windows laptop for as little as £60 and download toaf and simply use the laptop just for diagnostic on the car.. at least if it got damaged for example, it's only a cheap old laptop with nothing of value or sensitive stored on it.

If you have an android phone, you can download toaf mobile, and use the BMW k+dcan cable and an otg adapter

Toaf on laptop won't show live data for petrol engines. Toaf mobile can do all petrol and diesel live data.
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote