Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th December 2010, 05:30   #1
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI connoisseur SE auto, 2004

Default Temperature fluctuations!

I ran a temperature test on the OBD yesterday, with outside temperatures of around -2 my journey lasted about an hour, a mix of slow moving traffic and speeds not more than around 35mph in all that time the temparature stayed around the 70 - 72 mark, at one point it eventually reached 75 degrees and the needle on the temperture gauge hitting the 9'oclock mark but once moving that quickly dropped back down to 70 with the needle moving back to around the 8'oclock position. So the obvious question is, is that normal for this time of year with those kind of outside temps and with that kind of driving or is it time to get the themostat changed? Would like to get some feedback as to what your temp would be displaying after a similar drive, and whether the temp + needle stays the same.
Old 7th December 2010, 07:31   #2
d evans

mgzt cdti+ solar red

Question bmw pcv

hi, marc just been reasding the speck on the mg could you tell me what a bmw pcv filter is and viton rings are , i have just had my zt remapped but allways looking for improvements cheers dave
d evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 09:28   #3
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.t1 View Post
is that normal for this time of year with those kind of outside temps and with that kind of driving or is it time to get the themostat changed? Would like to get some feedback as to what your temp would be displaying after a similar drive, and whether the temp + needle stays the same.
Mine, with the inline Meziere housing with 195°F Chevy 'stat and a working Webasto, gets as high as 92°C before the thermostat opens.

However I've noticed that if you run the heater you will draw a lot of heat out of the system and it takes a lot longer to warm up. Idling in traffic with the heater blasting and you may be drawing more heat out of the system than you are putting in. So it will run cold.

Add a dodgy thermostat to the equation and you'll find getting up to a suitable temperature in this freezing weather impossible.
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 09:55   #4
Evansabove
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Conn SE

I reckon you need a new thermostat, there have been a lot of discussion on here about easier ways to overcome the low temperature problem by fitting an in line stat in the top hose which is what Mintee has done I believe.

John
Evansabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 10:03   #5
Evansabove
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Conn SE

hi, marc just been reasding the speck on the mg could you tell me what a bmw pcv filter is and viton rings are , i have just had my zt remapped but allways looking for improvements cheers dave.

I don't know how this got in here but since D Evans is obviously a member of my clan!!!

The PCV valve has a replaceable filter which was not part of the maintenance of the Rover 75 but was for the Land Rover Freelander and BMWs. BMW have now got a PCV that does away with the replaceable filter. If the PCV gets blocked you may get oil coming out of the dipstick under pressure.

The Viton "O" rings replace the original rubber O rings on the inter cooler. This was always thought to be a "BIG" job as it entailed removal of the front bumber. However it turns out this is not necessary and it can be done in a few minutes as I have proved. The original rings swell up and can leak causing a spray of diesel on the front rubber pipe in front of the battery. It leads to poor performance asthere is a loss of turbo pressure.
If you do a search on here for O rings and PCV filter (separately of course) you will get a mine of information.

Good Luck.

John
Evansabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 19:07   #6
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI connoisseur SE auto, 2004

Cheers guys, probably will have to look into getting a new stat replaced when funds allow or go down the route of the inline chevy stat. and well done evansabove for replying to your namesakes question about The PVC filter and O rings, as you said plenty of infor on these maintainence items