Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th June 2016, 22:32   #151
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default Cutting it a bit fine

Under pressure now to have the car ready for next Saturday.

We took advantage of the fine weather and popped down to Garlieston with the caravan for a few days so I now have to work flat out to complete the brake refurb along with the slam panel and projector lights.

On top of that I will have to give the car a full valet not forgetting the MOT

Looking back on the last MOT with the huge list of advisories the only ones that have been valid so far are the rusty brake pipes and two worn tyres.

I have two new tyres fitted and have replaced both front to rear pipes and replaced the bleed nipples. I had a bit of a fright moment today as I thought one of the nipples was going to break in place but with a little perseverance it came loose.

It's another trip to Halfords tomorrow as I need yet more paint. I've decided to re coat the entire underside with Hammerite stone chip shield, I've gone through six cans already and just have a small area at the front to complete.

I just hope the rain keeps away
Sorry about the lack of photos but I will get some on when I get the time.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 13:05   #152
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Why did I have to mention rain

Just a few loose ends to tidy up and 13 pin wiring for the caravan, but looks like its a no no today because of heavy showers. I've got soaked twice now so I'm now inside to organise insurance and get the MOT booked in.
Old 14th June 2016, 22:45   #153
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default First drive in a 75 in 18 months

Due to being rained off yesterday I managed to get the V6 insured.
Cost me £190 with Kwik Fit and I get a free MOT.

Some of the top quotes astounded me, asking for over £10,000. I don't think they really wanted my business.

Anyway today I got the tow bar wiring all but finished, I've just got the 12v switched supply to source and I think I will splice into the cigarette lighter as I can also use this for my camera & Sat Nav.

Just the under tray to re fit so this evening I took it out for a run round the country lanes to give it a shake down before the MOT.

All going well I will be at The Falkirk Wheel on Saturday.

It's so nice to be back in a 75. .
Old 15th June 2016, 21:29   #154
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default She's passed and ready to go

Got the car in for MOT today at a local Kwik fit branch. The insurance code for the free MOT still wasn't through so after speaking with customer services I agreed to pay the £30 and they will fund this when code comes through.

It does say it takes up to 72 hours after purchasing insurance for this so I've no complaints.

Oh! BTW it passed but has 4 advisories, first two are front left hand and right hand brakes fluctuating but not excessive, No 3 is slight play in off side track rod end and No4 is brake pipes are painted !!

On my last MOT I had 12 advisories (see post 116) and of those the only two I agreed with were the rusty brake pipes (now replaced with new pipes) and two rear tyres reaching end of life ( now replaced with new tyres.

Previously my near side track rod end was noted but now Kwick fit say the off side is worn.

It will be interesting to see what's reported next MOT as I checked them both and found no wear. I actually purchased a new track rod end for the near side but decided not to fit it.

At the end of the day all MOT stations just want to make it look like they're doing the job properly but it does gripe me a bit that these advisories go onto the vehicle MOT history.

So this afternoon I've been polishing the old girl up a bit for Saturday but I do have an annoying rumble coming from the near side rear which I will investigate.

I've just taxed the car for the year at £295 ! Ouch ! It's been an expensive week but at least I'm back into a 75.
Old 18th December 2016, 21:38   #155
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Following on from my MOT, a few weeks back I was fitting two ex Longridge stock front suspension units so while I was at it I replaced both track control arms.
I also had to replace both front brake calipers as the brakes were partially seized when coming home one evening. The brake fluctuation readings on the MOT obviously pointed this way.
I made the trip down to the NEC for the Classic Car Show where the old girl returned 40mpg which for a V6 I think is pretty good.
Old 18th December 2016, 23:45   #156
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Following on from my MOT, a few weeks back I was fitting two ex Longridge stock front suspension units so while I was at it I replaced both track control arms.
I also had to replace both front brake calipers as the brakes were partially seized when coming home one evening. The brake fluctuation readings on the MOT obviously pointed this way.
I made the trip down to the NEC for the Classic Car Show where the old girl returned 40mpg which for a V6 I think is pretty good.
That's mighty impressive MPG Jim. I think ours managed just under 38 average for the round trip to POL last year.
Old 19th December 2016, 21:32   #157
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

In my younger days I had loads of extra gauges fitted to my Mothers Morris Minor 1000, one of which was a vacuum gauge.
It was coupled to the inlet manifold and could tell you when you were driving most efficiently.
I learned a lot from that driving technique which stays with me today almost 50 years later.

Wow ! just realised that by 6th November next year I will have been driving (officially) for 50 years. I was driving tractors on the farm when I was 12 and buck raking silage into the silage pit at 13.
Incidentally I got my licence on the 6th November 1967 and passed my test first time on the 8th December 1967 and during that time I had been involved in two accidents.
I was stationary in both cases, first one where a bus mounted the pavement on my nearside to get past me while I was waiting in traffic causing a bit of damage to the rear wing then a couple of weeks later a van hit the other side when exiting a car park. The driver gave us a false address, yes even back in 1967 we had rogues.
Old 26th June 2017, 19:40   #158
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

This year I had serious thoughts about running two cars and was going to place the 75 on SORN.
With the road tax now £305 it was getting too much however the missus told me to go ahead as we may need the second car with the current problems with the Jaguar.
So I re taxed it on 1st June then in mid June the insurance renewal hit the deck at around £212 then of course it's the MOT.

I had a lot of other things on the go plus the weather was awful, more like October than late June but today at least it was dry so I set about checking it over for MOT.
My son arrived and said why don't you just stick it in and see if it passes but then he said of course you're "old school"

My pre MOT checks involve removing all for wheels and stripping down the brakes for a full check, even though the car has only done around 3k since the last Test. I started off with the off side rear and all was well then moving to the near side rear I found quite a lot of brake dust on the inside of the wheel. Then I noticed that the paint on the back plate was all burnt.
The reason, well the brake pads were right down almost to the metal, ( the opposite side was still like new) and the reason for this was a seized calliper. It had obviously managed to push out but had not returned.

I found this rather odd as I had never experienced any drag or lack of performance. Unfortunately I have no sense of smell at all so I couldn't smell any brake overheating. However I managed to coop the missus to collect the parts required, well she was in town anyway but she still managed a slight moan, maybe it was the £102 it cost for the calliper and a new set of pads.

All I need to do now is get it booked in and hopefully I will be back on the road.
The XF is going in for four new doors in early August but I've elected to take a courtesy car as the XF is going to be in the body shop for two weeks.

Never had any such problems with the 75's over 15 years ownership, is this what we call progress. !
Old 27th June 2017, 03:16   #159
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Sticking calipers are getting to be a recurring topic recently. My front driver side has started this and will be replaced soon. 17 years of reliable service before it started I suppose i owe the car a bit of a refurb on the calipers.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 08:23   #160
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I had to replace both front callipers last year.

With one, I was returning home from Ayr travelling along the A77 at around 60 mph the car suddenly started vibrating. I actually thought I had a loose wheel and had a roundabout right ahead to negotiate.

The cars behind me must have wondered why I was driving so cautious and I pulled in just after to have a look.

I couldn't see anything obvious so continued the two miles home. When I got into the driveway the front wheel was smoking as the brake had almost burnt out. I have no sense of smell which doesn't help, all I knew was this vibration even driving slowly that last few miles.

My front disc still bears the scars as I've only done around 3k since so I hope it doesn't affect the MOT this week.