Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th January 2020, 23:34   #1
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Default The Monogram Spice Tourer

Well I am two months in to being her custodian and she is throwing up many problems, much as expected.
On Tuesday my wife was out in her as our daughter had her saloon as their Focus was playing up. As is always the case when you are down to one car between the two of us, the car knows and throws a curve ball. Well it broke its main fan belt. I got a taxi down and let Pauline get home, whilst I called the RAC. The First time I have used them in over thirty years.
After explaining to the call handler that the car was not a member and that it was a joint membership between me and my wife taken out through the RACMSA about fifty years ago. Well they found me and I explained the problem, I was told that there would be a patrol with me in four to five hours. Umm! So after that call I called the local garage and asked John to order me the main stretch belt and please to drop it off with me. 30 mins later John dropped the belt off with me. Just to wait for the RAC.
They were better than their word and arrived within three and a half hours. Sadly they don’t change fan belts. The patrol man had instructions to take my car to the Vauxhall dealer.
I asked please to take the car to the village garage. So just over five hours after the call for help we arrived at the garage that was 2 miles from where the car had thrown its fan belt.
I asked John at the garage to do both of the belts. I got the car back the next afternoon with both belts changed.

So to update everyone so far, a new battery, a new fuel hose, air intake so she is breathing in through the grill just under the slam panel. Engine cover, a couple of vacuum pipes, and all the parts for a full service.
I still haven’t started on the three page list. I need to get the son in laws stuff out the garage and give the garage a proper tidy.
Before I start on the repair of the long list of defects that I now have drawn up.
She is defiantly going to take me a couple of years to finish.

Then we have the question of what to do with the gold tourer. She has a faulty AC pump the cruise control packed up last autumn. And she has a shopping trolly dent and a half on her N/S rear quarter panel. Also the sun roof drains are detached from their spigots. So the sunroof is taped round with 2” PVC tape.
She has all new front springs, struts, drop links her fan belts were done 2018. Brakes were fully replaced Five years ago when I bought her and are still in good condition. She has a heated front screen. And since I took her on has been looked after, though Hamish uses her as his daily transport to and from the park daily
She needs a good valet and has 5 months MOT on her but would pass one tomorrow if she went in for one. She has done less than 115,000 miles and has has a 160Bhp 300 lbft remap.
What should I do should I sell her as she is, Should I scrap her, should I kill myself fixing all the little niggles and pull the rear 1/4 panel, then sell her what should I do.
Help me here guys need advice on what to do.
That is the Early January update in the Spice and the tourer she replaced.
Alan
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2020, 23:51   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Well I am two months in to being her custodian and she is throwing up many problems, much as expected.
On Tuesday my wife was out in her as our daughter had her saloon as their Focus was playing up. As is always the case when you are down to one car between the two of us, the car knows and throws a curve ball. Well it broke its main fan belt. I got a taxi down and let Pauline get home, whilst I called the RAC. The First time I have used them in over thirty years.
After explaining to the call handler that the car was not a member and that it was a joint membership between me and my wife taken out through the RACMSA about fifty years ago. Well they found me and I explained the problem, I was told that there would be a patrol with me in four to five hours. Umm! So after that call I called the local garage and asked John to order me the main stretch belt and please to drop it off with me. 30 mins later John dropped the belt off with me. Just to wait for the RAC.
They were better than their word and arrived within three and a half hours. Sadly they don’t change fan belts. The patrol man had instructions to take my car to the Vauxhall dealer.
I asked please to take the car to the village garage. So just over five hours after the call for help we arrived at the garage that was 2 miles from where the car had thrown its fan belt.
I asked John at the garage to do both of the belts. I got the car back the next afternoon with both belts changed.
just a thought, but if you had your wife call the RAC, they may have arrived earlier .

Also, if the car was only 2 miles form the village garage, could you have let it cool (to more or less cold) and then drive it gently to the garage - albeit without power steering and charging? (just curious if it could be done).

I know all this is closing the stable door ......etc

It will be worth it at the end of the day, and if your wife ever complains, tell her you will sell it and use the money to fund a new hobby ......... in the pub

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2020, 07:34   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post

Also, if the car was only 2 miles form the village garage, could you have let it cool (to more or less cold) and then drive it gently to the garage - albeit without power steering and charging? (just curious if it could be done).

It will be worth it at the end of the day, and if your wife ever complains, tell her you will sell it and use the money to fund a new hobby ......... in the pub
The serpentine belt drives the water pump, and with no coolant circulation you get localised overheating within the engine. I haven't tried it from cold, but with the engine at normal operating temperature, mine overheated well within half a mile of the belt coming off.

Of course if you have a fuel burning heater with manual override then it isn't a problem as the internal water pump will provide enough circulation for you to drive as far as you want until either the battery runs flat or your arms have had enough.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2020, 09:10   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The serpentine belt drives the water pump, and with no coolant circulation you get localised overheating within the engine. I haven't tried it from cold, but with the engine at normal operating temperature, mine overheated well within half a mile of the belt coming off.

Of course if you have a fuel burning heater with manual override then it isn't a problem as the internal water pump will provide enough circulation for you to drive as far as you want until either the battery runs flat or your arms have had enough.
even with the fbh heating the coolant?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2020, 09:54   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Rac don't change fan belts ? so if that's the case they are no better than any break down truck, I would of asked the local garage to tow be back the 2 miles when he brought the belts to me.

AA and RAC patrols are great at times, some experienced and well equipped guys. Unfortunately, while both organisations still claim the gloss of motoring clubs, they are no such thing and are simple corporate structures with sales and cash generation to the fore with fewer and fewer patrols actually available on the road at any time of the day.
Please stop wasting your money on these "brands". They are just the same as their similar business operators, a breakdown insurance with a diminishing on-road repair service.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 10th January 2020 at 10:08..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2020, 11:18   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2

Yep, the diesels never overheat.
Old 10th January 2020, 11:26   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2

Yes no problem Ian - the radiator is more than capable of dissipating the heat.

It was a fair few years ago that I fitted a single speed cooling fan from a Rover 25 to my 75 as a temporary measure as I needed to use the car and couldn't get a spare in time, and it works just fine.

To be honest, it is also a fair few years ago that I found a replacement, and that has sat resting at the back of the garage.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2020, 19:49   #8
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Rac don't change fan belts ? so if that's the case they are no better than any break down truck, I would of asked the local garage to tow be back the 2 miles when he brought the belts to me.

AA and RAC patrols are great at times, some experienced and well equipped guys. Unfortunately, while both organisations still claim the gloss of motoring clubs, they are no such thing and are simple corporate structures with sales and cash generation to the fore with fewer and fewer patrols actually available on the road at any time of the day.
Please stop wasting your money on these "brands". They are just the same as their similar business operators, a breakdown insurance with a diminishing on-road repair service.

So true Sir I will be calling the RAC on Monday and cancelling my 52 year old membership, I suspect Green Flag should do the cover for half the cost.
I had thought the RAC man would have changed the fan belt if I had known he would just of towed the car I would have asked John to send Andy down with the flatbed.
Please guys learn from my misfortune. Artic is right you must be able to get cover for much less than the big boys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2020, 20:25   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

It seems to be the luck of who you get with either of these services. I have heard reports from lifted the bonnet and shut it again and saying ''you are going home on a trailer'' to spending a good hour trying to get a car going and even trying to get a part.

My personal experience is I have had great service from the RAC, one Friday evening on my way to Aberdeen from Oxford a couple of years ago my fan belt snapped on a Saab 9-5 close to Glasgow. The guy that arrived reckoned if he could get a new belt it would be easier than getting me recovered to Aberdeen. He was gone for over an hour and arrived with a new belt he had purchased from a Halfords about 45 mins away. He fitted it, he gave me the receipt and I gave him the money with enough extra for a couple of drinks, what a nice guy. He even rung me the following day to check I had got to my destination OK.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2020, 21:23   #10
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

You can drive them with a snapped belt but you need the muscles of Garth to turn the steering wheel
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote