Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th December 2019, 10:53   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default How to change your PCV filter (with pics)

Yes I know Arctic has uploaded his usual excellent explanation but sadly the Great Hoover in the sky has gobbled up the pics, so here is my version.

Though this is a genuine half hour job – and the filter is cheap – neglecting it has consequences - and it's not in the R75 schedule for some reason. A blocked filter can cause poor running, smoky emissions and sludge build up. The only tools you need are a 5mm, 8mm socket, a Hex 5, long extension socket set, Phillips screwdriver and a pr of long-nose pliers.

(PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation, also called breather valve though Mr Haynes calls it the crankcase pressure limiting valve. It is part of the emissions control system and recirculates unburnt gases. PCVs seem to come in all sorts of shapes and sizes on different cars. Many modern cars apparently don’t have or need them at all. My old Stag had the Rover 3.5l V8 and was missing any PCV so I tried fitting one that consisted of a bent tube with a concealed ball-bearing and spring but it misfired badly.)

I change mine every 30K miles, some change it when the air filter is renewed as it’s right next to it or every year.

So you need to remove the engine cover three bolts (Fig1) with 8mm socket, then the air intake (Fig 2 two Phillips screws).

The PCV is up tight against the air filter cover.

The air filter cover is held by five Allen bolts, three visible on the top, two deep behind on each corner, Fig 3. Remove the oil filler cap to remove the cover - then replace it to avoid dropping anything into the engine.

Then remove the injector wiring harness that is held by three star bolts – a 5mm socket will release those (fig 6).

I used a long nose pliers to unclip the wiring from the four sockets. Just press and pull away. (Fig 7) Then lay the harness out the way.

The PCV cover is held by four Allen screws. Carefully tilt upwards from the back and you will be able to lift the cover off exposing the claggy black filter. (Fig 9)

My filter (from DMGRS) came with an O ring and two sealing shaped gaskets, fig 10. These come conveniently with a tag so are easily removed. The filter itself is held in place by a clip that just slides out. Clean out the chamber, replace with new gaskets.

Replacing is just the reverse with the only niggle being to get the air filter cover settled firmly in its rear slot. Hooray for a job where you’re not on your back groping into the darkness.

Dave

(NB I had more pics but I see there's a limit of 7)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fig1.jpg (104.3 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg Fig3.jpg (111.6 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Fig6.jpg (103.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Fig7.jpg (72.9 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg Fig8.jpg (111.1 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg Fig9.jpg (92.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Fig10.jpg (107.9 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by MissMoppet; 17th December 2019 at 11:01..
MissMoppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2019, 13:08   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI Dave.
Nice one I must get round to sorting my how to's after the PB theft of (Tinypic) photo's.

Some time you will have to remove the leak back hoses, because the unit gets stuck, I have noted there are several different patterns on the outer case & certain ones you cannot lift free without removing the T hoses.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2020, 15:31   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Yes I know Arctic has uploaded his usual excellent explanation but sadly the Great Hoover in the sky has gobbled up the pics, so here is my version.

Though this is a genuine half hour job – and the filter is cheap – neglecting it has consequences - and it's not in the R75 schedule for some reason. A blocked filter can cause poor running, smoky emissions and sludge build up. The only tools you need are a 5mm, 8mm socket, a Hex 5, long extension socket set, Phillips screwdriver and a pr of long-nose pliers.

(PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation, also called breather valve though Mr Haynes calls it the crankcase pressure limiting valve. It is part of the emissions control system and recirculates unburnt gases. PCVs seem to come in all sorts of shapes and sizes on different cars. Many modern cars apparently don’t have or need them at all. My old Stag had the Rover 3.5l V8 and was missing any PCV so I tried fitting one that consisted of a bent tube with a concealed ball-bearing and spring but it misfired badly.)

I change mine every 30K miles, some change it when the air filter is renewed as it’s right next to it or every year.

So you need to remove the engine cover three bolts (Fig1) with 8mm socket, then the air intake (Fig 2 two Phillips screws).

The PCV is up tight against the air filter cover.

The air filter cover is held by five Allen bolts, three visible on the top, two deep behind on each corner, Fig 3. Remove the oil filler cap to remove the cover - then replace it to avoid dropping anything into the engine.

Then remove the injector wiring harness that is held by three star bolts – a 5mm socket will release those (fig 6).

I used a long nose pliers to unclip the wiring from the four sockets. Just press and pull away. (Fig 7) Then lay the harness out the way.

The PCV cover is held by four Allen screws. Carefully tilt upwards from the back and you will be able to lift the cover off exposing the claggy black filter. (Fig 9)

My filter (from DMGRS) came with an O ring and two sealing shaped gaskets, fig 10. These come conveniently with a tag so are easily removed. The filter itself is held in place by a clip that just slides out. Clean out the chamber, replace with new gaskets.

Replacing is just the reverse with the only niggle being to get the air filter cover settled firmly in its rear slot. Hooray for a job where you’re not on your back groping into the darkness.

Dave

(NB I had more pics but I see there's a limit of 7)
Thank you for all this very useful information ( ) as I'm just about to check my 16 year old filter.---.

Apparently some of the bits to remove can be very delicate so I'm taking great care when tackling it.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2020, 11:32   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Oh !! and by the way Mrs Moppet, if you have more than 7 pics then just use the next post.-------It's over there.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote