Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th August 2019, 21:39   #1
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Default Klarius capers!!

Well after looking into a cat-back stainless system and being somewhat dismayed at the quotes I received most around 500 quid, I decided to fit a Klarius back box to the diesel Tourer as the original was blowing out of all sides and seams!
I don’t want extra noise and I don’t really want to see the pipes poking through the bumper so the stainless option was even less of an option.
Off to ECP and £81 later I have an 8 foot long back box and pipe along with clamp and hanging rubbers.
As diesels exhausts tend to rust from the outside inwards, I figured on rubbing the whole thing down with 120 grit and give it all a few coats of black ceramic VHT paint to keep the elements at bay and protect the totally raw and unprotected welds on the silencer and brackets. These are the usual rot points on a system.

All good so far,,, up goes the car on its side with support given to the subframes front and rear and out with the Milwaukee 12v hackzall. Once measured up it was off with the old dog which manifest huge holes in the silencer although the pipework is very good, stainless I think.
Now for the fun bit,,,I hooked the pipe up loosely and I could see that it was going to bang the subframe, the bumper or both due to an incorrect bend applied to the main diversion from the straight run.!! Hmmmm!!!
I soon solved this by fixing a ‘jig’ to my decking using off-cuts of 4”fence posts screwed into the decking temporary and getting some heave ho behind the long pipe... this sorted the poor offset angle and now the box and pipe are parallel.
Once fitted and clamped up, a shot or two of VHT paint to any scratches incurred and a ruddy good shower and bath ensued while the paint dried.
I just took it out for an initial run to cure the VHT and I am well impressed to say the least!!! Soooo quiet and no undue noise at any road speed as some have mentioned. I didn’t realise how naff the original had become while not noisy it was obviously leaking badly and allowed a bassy, boomy sound to mar the quiet ride and ambience.
At this price if I have to repeat the expertise in 5 years it will be worth every penny and over 10 years only 160 quid on rear boxes. Much more to my liking!!!!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.

Last edited by Clickernick; 26th August 2019 at 00:19..
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2019, 22:21   #2
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

I've found Klarius exhaust systems to be very good.

When I need one I'll be going for that rather than anything else.
I've fitted them on my ZS and the wifes Rover 25.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2019, 22:22   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Nik.
Do you have a link for the exhaust for the tourer, is it ECP or eurocarparts.com please

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2019, 22:56   #4
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

I have fitted 3 of each saloon and tourers, the only criticism that I have in their build/design is the rear silencer hangers welded direct to the structure/casing which initself is quite a thin material. On each one I have fitted a fail safe device which will support the weight of the rear section should a support or two let go.
Walker produced systems that had a strap system that bound around the silencer and pinched together with a nut and bolt and a pair of hooks at the appropriate orientation for the rubber hangers to attach, however this component I am sure would have increased the price over and above the Euro Car Parts price for the Klarious system.
Glad you got it sorted Nick.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2019, 23:40   #5
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Nik.
Do you have a link for the exhaust for the tourer, is it ECP or eurocarparts.com please
Hi buddy, yes it’s Euro Car Parts and their part number is 705751101 for the exhaust, Klarius RR334D, and 712770101 for the clamp.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.

Last edited by Clickernick; 25th August 2019 at 23:45..
Old 25th August 2019, 23:51   #6
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
I have fitted 3 of each saloon and tourers, the only criticism that I have in their build/design is the rear silencer hangers welded direct to the structure/casing which initself is quite a thin material. On each one I have fitted a fail safe device which will support the weight of the rear section should a support or two let go.
Walker produced systems that had a strap system that bound around the silencer and pinched together with a nut and bolt and a pair of hooks at the appropriate orientation for the rubber hangers to attach, however this component I am sure would have increased the price over and above the Euro Car Parts price for the Klarious system.
Yes I did think that the hangers welded straight to the can looked a bit weak, I guess a strap type of clamp can be added to reinforce the mounting. I was more concerned that the welds and hangers were not coated in any way to protect them. I have had great results with VHT paint on exhausts in the past so it may just be the kiddy to lengthen the life a bit.

Old 26th August 2019, 09:04   #7
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

The first Klarius rear section I fitted to the tourer lasted just long enough to be out of warranty and a hanger snapped off, It’s replacement has fared better. I also have a Klarius complete system including catalytic converter on the coupe as that’s all I could get and it fits well but it’s very raspy on the coupe and sounds like a leak at high revs.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 09:51   #8
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
.... I have had great results with VHT paint on exhausts in the past so it may just be the kiddy to lengthen the life a bit.
Which paint do you use Nick? I'm thinking of doing the same thing but some high temp paints seem to have fairly poor reviews.

I was thinking of trying this one - https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-por-20...sistant-236ml/ - their other stuff is very good.

Last edited by Blink; 30th November 2019 at 09:54..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 10:15   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Which paint do you use Nick? I'm thinking of doing the same thing but some high temp paints seem to have fairly poor reviews.

I was thinking of trying this one - https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-por-20...sistant-236ml/ - their other stuff is very good.
I am in the process of painting a rear exhaust in my shed at the moment first coat went on yesterday, second today once it warms up a bit, I use the metal paint you can buy from Aldi, I have it on my tourer, had it on my MGZT, and also on my FL2 none have ever peeled through the heat.

The one I am painting is for the tourer as its original back box with the double skin it starting to separate even though it like new under the first skin, also the strap rusted through so I had to make a strap up from galvanised slotted metal.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 10:18   #10
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
Thanks to Walker's excellent customer service they sourced me a back box section from a factor on the south coast and transferred it to a local stockist. This was on the basis of no stock anywhere in Europe for Cdti and no plans to manufacture any more stock, although the part remains on their stock list. I suggested there could be a market for our models but customer services would seem to have no contact or influence on production plans.

I targeted Walker because a) 3yr guarantee b) original style strap hangers, it looks good and I am about to give it a couple of coats of high temp paint. Can't wait to try it but at the moment I have done too good a job on repairing the original so it'll stay on the shelf until needed.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote