Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th February 2018, 10:54   #1
Everso
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default MOT failure - scrap or worth offering for parts.

Hi all,

My 75 tourer has failed MOT and will be uneconomical to repair. I am thinking it will just go to the scrap yard/ We buy any car as I do not have space or time to dismantle for parts myself.

I wanted to see if it is worth offering to members first rather than scrap it. I would be after the scrap price (Something like £175 I was quoted). I would much rather at least part of it lived on than see it all crushed. It has MOT till the end of the month so if anyone was interested they will be able to drive away.

So - stick it in the "for sale" it just scrap it ... any opinions either way?

Everso
Everso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 11:12   #2
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Depends what it failed its mot on really !

What's the registration number so we can look at the results ?
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 11:18   #3
Everso
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I didn't know you could do that.

Reg is

SE03 ONF

Failure was on a rear suspention arm. Apprently £103 for the bit but £200+ for fitting as it ... and I quote ... A right bastdard.

Everso
Old 16th February 2018, 11:29   #4
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

You can buy a suspension arm for £50 if you're prepared to fit a second hand part. Plenty in my group buy them and treat them with rust preventer before having them fitted. I'd go for a new one from a company called DMGRS who are members here.

£200 to fit it is at the upper end of labour costs and assumes it will be a trickier fit. They aren't always. Culmulatively, even at top end, that £303 for a car you know is sound and reliable apart from that. Throw in another £100 to deal with the advisories and other minor faults and you have spent £400 on the car which is less than a tenner a week.

Sorry, I know this wasn't the question you asked, but it's a row I have with my hubby every year at MOT time. £400 won't buy a reliable problem free replacement especially when you add in costs of travel to view, insurance transfers.

If the car is good, it's not economically viable to scrap it. If you still want it gone sell it as a whole with the MOT rejection list included. It will sell. 180k is high for a normal car, these dervs aren't normal engines, 180k is practically a teenager !
Old 16th February 2018, 11:32   #5
philm
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer

Those are pretty minor faults depending on the condition of the rest of the car should be worth a damn site more than scrap value.
Think you will find that officially it is classed as an MOT failure & no longer road worthy even thought you still have a current ticket.
Old 16th February 2018, 11:59   #6
Everso
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75c View Post
£400 won't buy a reliable problem free replacement especially when you add in costs of travel to view, insurance transfers.
I would totally agree with you but I have been given a freebie from a relative so £400 is £400 more that it will cost me to get it back on the road. Frankly its money I could do without spending. If you then add in what the scrap will fetch and selling my Navall/cameras I actually end up with a car that I know has no issues and cash in pocket. Not a normal situation I know but it is where I find myself.

The downside is I end up in a Renault Megan rather than my "old man chariot" (as my daughter calls the 75). Add in the £30 a year tax, better MPG and I found it harder and harder to justify.

Don't get me wrong - I love this car - and may well end up with another down the road (shiny red MG variant would be nice) but it is time to move on.

Like I mentioned - I would be more than happy if anyone wanted to take it for the scrap price. Not looking to sell for any extra and would be delighted if it managed to live on. If not then I guess another one bites the dust.

Everso
Old 16th February 2018, 12:11   #7
simon.jane
Loves to post

we have a 75 connoisseur cdt se saloon and a 75 conniosser se cdt tourer

What colour is she?
Old 16th February 2018, 12:23   #8
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

It's not difficult to understand Everso's position, he has a car he can drive in the Renault, time and money on the Rover and it's off the road at a cost of 500 plus the 175 or so makes it a cash positive situation of close to 700..pick up another at that money with long MOT.just saying. It's done it's job and 180 K is a fair mileage, may be time to let go. To all those romantics, I would say buy it then!

Here's one a member linked to

Last edited by rustymotor; 16th February 2018 at 12:30..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 12:39   #9
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

You must be a man if you think there's anything romantic about pragmatism

Its good additional info that theres a free car available to drive, it does change the way the books balance.

Sell it whole with the fail sheet still seems fair advice but !
Old 16th February 2018, 13:00   #10
Everso
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.jane View Post
What colour is she?
It's the navy blue colour. Condition of the body work is not too bad but not wonderful - bit of rust on the bottom of two of the doors and driver rear was scrapped a while ago.

Engine seems fine (been pretty reliable apart from when a belt sipped). Exhaust is a year old and the car is located at Sunderland. Obviously I am no mechanic so there could be other things needing attention I am not aware of.

If you recon you can keep it alive/make a bit of money from it ... whatever it's yours for the scrap price. I will be taking the Navall out but I do have the original ICE (including the CD changer I think) and you may as well have that as well.

Everso