Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th July 2013, 21:38   #1
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

Default Come on a trip with me (with photo's)

Are you sitting comfortably?

Just over 33mpg at 70mph? Actually I was quite pleased with that for and old 2.5 auto, and before anyone comments about wildly optimistic readouts, I achieved 430 miles on 1 tank, which means the readout was pretty much spot on! It has since risen to 33.6, and I hope to get more with further repairs.

Now after driving through the night we arrive at Loch Lomond at 4.30am.

Then we climb the Rest and Be Thankful...

Later we pass the family seat!

The Crinan Canal.

Its a Rover, bound to be chewing its head gaskets and guzzling coolant.Er, no, not a drop of oil or water used so far...

Now back down to the N.East of England after a few days. "Would you like 4 new tyres at £35 each supplied and fitted?" Ooo, yes please!

Appart from a mildly blowing exhaust, this car has performed magnificently - I've never driven any car 600 miles in one go and stepped out at the other end almost as fresh.

Whats been interesting has been the interest the car has generated by most who have seen it. The 17 year old yoof at a Renault dealer who searched the stores diligently for a tail lamp bulb as well as both (!) numberplate bulbs loved the interior, and was impressed with the brake light doubling as a temporary tail lamp. Friends and relatives without exception loved the car - "its a Jaguar!" The lads at the tyre depot didn't say much, but did a lot of peering in the windows! The helpful guy at Halfords said "what a lovely car."

I'm not home yet, but a terrific car this has turned out to be, even if the gearbox isnt happy...

Any ex-Rover employee's reading this - you left us owners a wonderful legacy.

Last edited by lovema75; 5th July 2013 at 21:43..
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 21:40   #2
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Pictures are great and glad the car is performing well!
Old 5th July 2013, 22:06   #3
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Nice indeed I think there is a growing appreciation of these cars now. This is I think down two two things. 1. As they have become rarer the percentage of quality cars is higher. 2. The belated realisation that these were a quality car.

Was packing up down in Newbury today ready for the 270 mile run home when one of the neighbours (a retired South African gent who drives a nice old C class Mercedes) made a offer of £1k to buy my lovely car. Nice try but there is many enjoyable miles left to go.

Enjoy your car and let more speak highly of our selections!! Oh I like the photos too.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 22:08   #4
Canon
Gets stuck in

75 Connie Auto CDTi SE

Yep the 75's are a pleasure to drive. I returned last week from a Highlands road trip. 5 days and 1600 miles camping out each night in the Teardrop Trailer it towed quite effortlessly. Looking forward to the next trip

Mods done:
Towbar - EGR replaced with SS straight pipe - Synergy 2 - Aircon resistor replaced with JMA
- Walnut and Leather Steering Wheel - Walnut Hand Brake and Walnut Auto Gear Stick - Walnut Dash - Sean's DD Unit with DVBT - 2.0 CDT Torpedos - Boot Badge and mk1 Chrome Plinth - D Pillars - Union Alloys - X-Power Upgrade
Slowly adding pre project bits and bobs
Canon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 22:10   #5
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

£35 for tyres? do tell more !
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 22:26   #6
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrover View Post
£35 for tyres? do tell more !
Well I dont want to get into a "cheap tyres are rubbish" debate. My drivers side front got a puncture, they were all low anyway, so I phoned up a place near where I'm staying at present and asked if they could do me a couple of part worn to get me home.

The guy said "Well they are £25 each, or I can do you some budget ones for £35 each if you buy 4." I was round quicker than you can say "Debit card!" For the sort of low mileage urban motoring I usually do, they will do me just fine. The fact that they seem much quieter than I was expecting, have made the steering better, and noticeably improved the ride comfort is a bonus.

But I respect anyone's view who only fits premium makes, I would too if I could afford it.
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 22:33   #7
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

Looks like you've had an excellent trip! I'm certainly hoping to go on holiday in the Highlands for a few days once I've finished my summer job! I'm glad that the car performed so well, and I've always been impressed with my 75 after any long journeys.
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote