Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th March 2012, 02:20   #1
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Fitting a new maf sensor & PCV filter

I have been having issues with my 2.0 diesel tourer for about 10 months now, if i really think back not extra special MPG always feeling sluggish but the power was there if i booted it just that nice smoothness missing in the low revs and speeds, oh and the heart pulsating feeling of pulling out from junctions and roundabouts it is only over the last 5-7 weeks that the car as been surging, ie losing power as though it was going to stop cut out only to kick forward if i pressed the gas pedal a bit more cruising at say 30/50/70 you would still get the stopping dead feeling then surge forward.

Asked on the forums and read up a bit about this and was given the answer its the MAF so at our recent Nano meet on the 11th March i was given the chance to get her on a T4 session with Duncan :hail: to check out any faults and sure enough the MAF was reading wrong unplugged it at the Nano took her for a drive seemed to pick up and feel better, so new MAF needed purchased one from Eurocarparts (not cheap but a must have )below is how i fitted the MAF and the PCV filter at the same time enjoy Arctic.

Fig one remove the engine cover three bolts 8mm

Fig Four once bolts out remove the engine cover and put in a safe place for re-fitting at end of the job

Fig four & five remove the two screws holding the air intake pipe

Fig six & seven pull air intake pipe from the air filter cover this is easy as the concertina ridges will allow this

Fig eight/nine/ten/eleven shows the Allen bolts which secures the air filter cover, which needs to be removed to change the MAF and also the PCV filter there are five.

Rear right corner looking at it from front of engine

Rear left and back by the MAF 5ml Allen

Three at the front of the cover

These bolts are captive so you cannot lose them.

Fig Twelve remove oil filler cap

Fig Thirteen you can now remove the air filter cover and put it safe with the engine cover removed earlier.

Fig Fourteen you now have access to the air filter PCV filter housing and the MAF sensor, refit the oil filler cap to stop anything falling into the engine.

Fig Fifteen the MAF sensor plug and casing

Fig Sixteen/seventeen unplug the MAF sensor wire press in both sides and pull up.

Fig Eighteen/nineteen release the two retaining clips, and disconnect from the turbocharger duct which hold it to the maf housing

Fig Twenty remove the air filter from its housing, as this is attached to the MAF

Fig twenty one pull the turbocharger duct from the MAF housing, you may not have to remove the duct from turbo charger below, i did just to show how it fits, all push fix, thread it out carefully if you do remove it.

fig Twenty two/three/four/five slacken and remove the two Torx screws top right and bottom left
top right Torx

use long nose pliers to grip the torx screws as it nears the end coming out so not to lose it in engine below.

Bottom left torx

Fig twenty five with torx screws removed you can now also remove the MAF with its housing.

Fig twenty six mine looks like it's had the sensor removed before. either to clean it or be changed but not the housing, and not in my ownership.

Fig twenty seven/eight old and new side by side

Fig Twenty nine new maf sensor fitted

Fig Thirty refit the turbocharger duct and hose easiest way to do this is remove the little hose from the duct.

Fig Thirty one hose removed from the duct so it can be lowered down and on to the turbo charger it is a push fixing, remember you don't have to remove the duct to fir a new MAF, it can just be pulled back enough to fit it.

Fig Thirty two shows the two fixing points for the duct hose

Fig Thirty three/four hose re-fitted also push fix

Fig Thirty five plug the wiring back onto the MAF sensor.

The MAF sensor is now fitted and refitting of the air filter and engine cover etc is the reverse of removal unless like me you are going to change the PCV filter at the same time this is shown in the next post section. Arctic.

PCV fitting with out removing the fuel return hoses follow on link from above
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...71&postcount=7

Photos reinstated, 21/11/23

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 21st November 2023 at 01:50.. Reason: photo editing
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 02:25   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

When you are done, let me know and I'll do the usual

BTW - what is the "card" on your thumb for?

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 02:46   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
When you are done, let me know and I'll do the usual

BTW - what is the "card" on your thumb for?
That is a plaster after cutting though my thumb and nail earlier in the day modifying some compensators i wrote on it card to remind me when i went over the shop to get a sympathy card for the lady next door she just lost her husband he was nice old gent 85 been in hospital 3 months

ad altiora tendo.

Old 15th March 2012, 02:49   #4
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Sorry to read that, it's a bad day when we lose friends

Andrew
Ich Dien

Old 15th March 2012, 02:54   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Sorry to read that, it's a bad day when we lose friends
Even worse when i nearly cut my thumb off life still goes on we are all heading into the light or dark which ever way you look at it so try and make the most of life if you can get along and help each other if not keep your self to your self is my motto PCV post to come Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 15th March 2012, 03:01   #6
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Ah! But what is a thumb compared to a life? However I know what you mean,..... and your sterling work is much appreciated

Andrew
Ich Dien

Old 15th March 2012, 04:03   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Default PCV filter fitting

Carrying on from the fitting of the maf sensor i decided to change the PCV filter at the same time even though i only changed it 8-10months ago at only £8.99 its worth it in my eyes anyway so here goes.

To replace the PCV with out removing the fuel line and clips first unscrew the three retaining screws then disconnect the injector wiring plugs and move the harness to one side follow the pics below.

Fig one remove the three screws 5mm socket worked for me on the star screws.

Fig two screws removed from there fixings

Fig three unplug the injector wiring harness four just squeeze on the tang, you could use a small screw driver to open the tang and pull off.

Fig four set harness to one side out of the way

Fig five/six unscrew the four Allen screws so you can remove the PCV filter valve housing

Fig seven remove the filter housing by lifting and twisting toward you or the front of the car carefully no rush it should come away nicely without having to unclip any fuel return hoses thus not braking those little T junctions

Fig eight clean and check the rubber gaskets seals or change for new ones.

Fig my old and new filter, this is only 8-10months old still soft a wet not hard so in theory did not need changng but hey why not.

Fig then clean inside the valve fit new rubber O- ring

Fig eleven fit new filter push home over the O ring and pushdown the plastic holder

Fig twelve refit the PCV valve by tilting reverse of removal carefully again no rush making sure not to disturb the fuel return hoses.

Fig thirteen refit the four Allen screws corners first then the rear and front

Fig fourteen replace or fit new air filter again i fitted new one even though it did not need it, why not i am fussy.

Fig fifteen refit the air filter cover starting at the right rear corner this can be fiddly once started do not screw home as the others have to be lined up.

Fig sixteen fit the others there are five remember two at the back corners and three at the front top.

Fig seventeen refit air intake pipe push fit

Fig eighteen refit two screws holding the air intake pipe housing

Fig nineteen/twenty refit the engine cover three bolts tidy up your tools wash hands take the car for a nice drive check out the smoothness and new power

Jobs a good one happy motoring again

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER...72.m2749.l2649

Photos re-instated 22/11/23 time 02-06

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 22nd November 2023 at 02:06.. Reason: photo Editing
Old 15th March 2012, 20:34   #8
jonno12
Posted a thing or two

rover75 saloon connie

very good post and how to, arctic, but i don't know how you managed it without the long nosed pliers you left in my car
jonno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 20:53   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno12 View Post
very good post and how to, arctic, but i don't know how you managed it without the long nosed pliers you left in my car
Hi Jonno.
Was those the really long ones if so i have a feeling they are the ones i borrowed off trebor thats the only trouble with going from one car to another we need to set up some sort of an assembly line at the next nano cheers for letting me know i am sure they will make there way back home in the near future Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 15th March 2012, 21:07   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
That is a plaster after cutting though my thumb and nail earlier in the day modifying some compensators i wrote on it card to remind me when i went over the shop to get a sympathy card for the lady next door she just lost her husband he was nice old gent 85 been in hospital 3 months
That seems a bit extreme to me, cutting your thumb, just so you could write 'CARD' on the plaster as a reminder. Everyone else seems to manage quite well by putting an elastic band around finger as a reminder

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote