Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd April 2012, 16:31   #11
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon View Post
Yep just the kinda thing im looking for. A few peeps have said to avoid France and head through Luxembourg (fill up with cheapish diesel) Germany and Austria. This will be the route im taking. Once in Italy ill be stopping at Lake Garda and onto Verona, then thinking of heading south along the west coast as far as Naples (time permitting ferry to Sicily) then head north up the east coast

Thanks for the vignettes i thought you had to get it like our road tax at an office
Give Rimini a wide bearth, horrible place

Florence, Brescia and Venice are well worth a look, as is San Marino, not far from Rimini.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:54   #12
Canon
Gets stuck in

75 Connie Auto CDTi SE

Thanks for the advice so far guy's notes are being made and googled
I must say though although i said i dont like toll roads i am open to using them, what i meant was i dont want to just drive straight to Italy, i want to stop and detour to see places along the way.

So far im thinking dover to calais, belgium, germany, austria and into italy

Or maybe in reverse driving to the south of france and along the south coast into italy, down the west coast then up the east coast to austria, germany.

Acommodation wise wont be a problem as im taking my teardrop camper but will also spend a few nights in hotels ect to have a bit of a rest

Mods done:
Towbar - EGR replaced with SS straight pipe - Synergy 2 - Aircon resistor replaced with JMA
- Walnut and Leather Steering Wheel - Walnut Hand Brake and Walnut Auto Gear Stick - Walnut Dash - Sean's DD Unit with DVBT - 2.0 CDT Torpedos - Boot Badge and mk1 Chrome Plinth - D Pillars - Union Alloys - X-Power Upgrade
Slowly adding pre project bits and bobs
Canon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 22:21   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrism View Post
This is the Vignettes you get for Austria we just got them for 7days i think it was thee window cling so just stick them to the passenger side of a rhd car.
That says 10 days!

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 23:13   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrism View Post
The other thing you need to look out for is especially in italy i think it was you dont no its a toll road until you come to a toll booth at the end we got on the motorway at venice and went all the way to Lake Garda and it was only till we got to the end of the motorway we realised it was a toll road!

The Germans on the other hand had a Big sign as you enter the country that says All Motorways are Toll Roads but i drove the length of germany and didnt once pay a toll or anything, which was a bit confusing really
Sorry but have been driving in Germany for nearly 30 years,and have never seen a sign that all m/ways are toll roads!!!. Where did you see this?
Old 2nd April 2012, 23:34   #15
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon View Post
Hi Guys N Gals, looking for some good tips and advice

Me and the missus are driving down to Italy in the summer towing a teardrop trailer. I dont really want to drive as the crow flies i want to make the road trip part of the holiday, oh and im not to keen on toll roads
So as anyone made the trip to Italy by road and if so which route did you take?
any recommended detours to see interesting places?
Shall i fill up with diesel before leaving UK?
Cost of vignettes for car and trailer, shall we go via Austria or Switzerland

At the moment ive got a blank map waiting to be filled with a nice route

Ant help will be greatly appreciated
Hi Tony. What part of Italy are you going to?
In 2006 we drove down to the other side of Naples, and one thing is certain,if you want to get anywhere quick, you will need to go on the m/ways,otherwise you will take ages to get anywhere. Some of the roads are more like our roads when they are being made up,local roads near to small towns/villages are the worst.
We went through France and over the alps from Briancon on the border with Italy to a little place called Sasselo,about 30 miles from the sea. Then down to Pisa,Peccoli,Sienna, Rome,Naples, then Maria Avico,ending up at the farthest point we went to,Agropoli.
Can not extoll the beauty of Italy enough. We still correspond with people we stayed with, including the Mayor of one small village.
We took 3 weeks and did over 3000 miles.
Would like to do it again in the 75, last time Rover 220sd,and never missed a beat.

Old 3rd April 2012, 11:20   #16
Canon
Gets stuck in

75 Connie Auto CDTi SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Tony. What part of Italy are you going to?
In 2006 we drove down to the other side of Naples, and one thing is certain,if you want to get anywhere quick, you will need to go on the m/ways,otherwise you will take ages to get anywhere. Some of the roads are more like our roads when they are being made up,local roads near to small towns/villages are the worst.
We went through France and over the alps from Briancon on the border with Italy to a little place called Sasselo,about 30 miles from the sea. Then down to Pisa,Peccoli,Sienna, Rome,Naples, then Maria Avico,ending up at the farthest point we went to,Agropoli.
Can not extoll the beauty of Italy enough. We still correspond with people we stayed with, including the Mayor of one small village.
We took 3 weeks and did over 3000 miles.
Would like to do it again in the 75, last time Rover 220sd,and never missed a beat.

Dave that sounds like a real nice trip

At the moment still undecided wether to go straight through France or Germany way, but here is a rough route were taking through Italy. We have 3 weeks set for the trip so depending on time scales when were there more places will be added as we travel along

North

Monza
Milan
Genoa

Heading South
West Coast

La Spezia
Pissa
Florence
Rome
Naples
Pompeii
Salemo
Messina

Sicilly
Palermo

Heading North
East Coast

Bari
Pescara
Acona
Rimini
San Marino
Ravenna
Bologna
Venice
Verona
Lake Garda

Mods done:
Towbar - EGR replaced with SS straight pipe - Synergy 2 - Aircon resistor replaced with JMA
- Walnut and Leather Steering Wheel - Walnut Hand Brake and Walnut Auto Gear Stick - Walnut Dash - Sean's DD Unit with DVBT - 2.0 CDT Torpedos - Boot Badge and mk1 Chrome Plinth - D Pillars - Union Alloys - X-Power Upgrade
Slowly adding pre project bits and bobs

Last edited by Canon; 3rd April 2012 at 11:23..
Canon is offline   Reply With Quote