Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th December 2019, 17:29   #1
byways
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon

Default IPK lines

Had my IPK delined a few weeks ago, unfortunately the vertical lines have returned and now with added horiizontal lines.
How long should the declining last ?.
Is it worth sending back for declining again ?.

Last edited by Reebs; 30th December 2019 at 18:51.. Reason: Thread moved to technical help section
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 18:59   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Might be possible to decline the lines.--

My Oxford dictionary says-----Become smaller, fewer or less.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2019, 15:36   #3
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Unfortunately I don't think it is a long term fix. Some last longer than others. The cold and damp really doesn't help.

If you had this completed by one of the traders on here, I would recommend contacting them first. They may be able to attempt the repair once more.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2019, 16:36   #4
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Delining is an "attempt " at removing or temporarily correcting the lines.
The lines are not illuminated pixels, they are areas where connections in the carbon tracked ribbon cable connecting the LCD screen (which acts as a mask for the always on backlight), and the PCB in the IPK which generates the masking pattern.

The deline process attempts to bond these tracks where they are most commonly damaged by vibration. On the whole most people get an improvement that can last many years, unfortunately, some can last only hours... it is pot luck.. .

People like Rick can source and supply new LCD screens with cables which are a permanent solution when combined with vibration damping pads which stabilise the ribbon cable.

Although 5 to 6 times the price of a deline attempt, they are a shoe in for a permanent fix..
Old 1st January 2020, 10:39   #5
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Thought Rick had run out of new screens and didn't know if he could get more?

I suppose the Roewe 750 screens have been investigated, are they the same? I know a guy who visits China quite regularly.

Sent mine off to Rick a year ago, did a 100% fix but now I've got 6 or more lines again. Is this repair procedure unique to our screens or common, I've heard of a guy locally who does Saab screens, might be an easier option for me.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020, 20:45   #6
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Forgive me for asking some silly questions. I ask because my screen is riddled with lines.

What is the spec/type of screen needed? What do the connectors look like, assuming some of that is the problem?

I wonder if a way forward could be to use a modern screen and some embedded micro (Arduino or Pi) which will connect to the existing harness and emulate the interface of the old screen? That way, we could have a much more flexible screen, maybe even with extra screens/diagnostics?

Sorry, just thinking out loud...
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:53   #7
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

I am sure if there was enough demand some new ones could be made and I suspect if they were made in China the cost would not be as bad as you would think.

Not that I am thinking of getting them made but how many would we actually need? 100? 200?

Maybe we need to speak to a company that repairs LCD in other vehicles? I know of several other makes and models that have problems so we are not alone. A friend with an Audi had his repaired last year and I think it cost him about £150.

I see these people list our car, maybe they have new Screens in stock http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/repair/model/rover-75-instrument-cluster-speedo
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2020, 11:09   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Think that Rick would have some ball park figure of quantity based on how quickly his latest supply was snapped-up. Since then I've seen a few people asking about new ones, perhaps if he did something like DMGRS did with the rear upper arms then he could finance it.

Would also help if Klarzy could re-post his video (if he's still got it), would be easier to contact other possible helpers (here Saab IPKs) if we could should them what involved.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2020, 11:15   #9
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
.....What do the connectors look like, assuming some of that is the problem?
There's no actual plastic connector. The LCD has a built-in ribbon, the end of which is 'soldered' directly to a strip of 45 flat contacts on the IPK's PCB (I suspect the factory uses some sort of heated clamping setup to make the joints). There are many more than 45 individual conductors inside the ribbon itself.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2020, 11:36   #10
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

I got an MG7/Rowe75 one from China off e bay 18 months ago - they do come up occasionally.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote