Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th December 2019, 11:43   #21
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer conn SE Auto

Default Excess coolant from header tank

Hi folks, just a couple of questions regarding this issue, if someone could kindly answer for me. Just to answer what tc asked about whether header tank was overfilled prior to issue. No I have never overfilled it as I have read all of the advice on the club site over the years so I keep it where it needs to be( just on the max, and just fitted second new cap this year )I have used the car three times for very short journeys ( only to town and back and not above 30mph ) and done approx 12 miles without issue. Checked level before journey and checked that fan was working on single speed.I used it this morning to go to the shop ( approx 1.5 miles round trip )It was on return journey that the 2 speed fan cut in and ran for several seconds when engine was switched off. ( fitted gold resistor when purchased car as precautionary from Jules in Jan 2013 , could this possibly now be failing ? )I have just gone to car some 5 hours later and checked levels all appear to be ok, but on switching on the demist screen with aircon on econ the fan started on single speed for seconds then switched off. I repeated this test again and fan done exactly the same.Could this be the confirmation of HGF I had hoped it wasn`t ? Because of xmas hols etc have not taken it to garage as yet, and must admit a bit reluctant to as mentioned before, any advice appreciated Regards Paul
Ginger Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2019, 12:45   #22
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

As to the gold fan resistor mine failed after 5/6 years - so your fan maybe faulty. Is your dipstick and oil cap still clear - no Mayo?

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2019, 13:02   #23
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Hi , yes dipstick is showing normal and no there isn`t any mayo on oil cap ,so the gold resistor could be a possibility to the fan behaving how it did today, so maybe worth replacing and covering all possibilities.I wont drive it again until the issue is resolved as may do more harm, Thanks , Paul
Old 29th December 2019, 18:45   #24
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Teddy View Post
... but on switching on the demist screen with aircon on econ the fan started on single speed for seconds then switched off.
Hi Paul,

I don't understand your phrase which I've highlighted. When the windscreen demist button is pressed the air conditioning will be automatically activated. It therefore cannot be in 'Econ' mode because, by definition, that means that air conditioning is off.

It is normal for the radiator fan to run on single speed when the air conditioning is activated.

Simon
Old 30th December 2019, 04:49   #25
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Hi Simon maybe I have it wrong. When you press screen demist button I know the aircon runs automatically but by switching it to Econ mode I didn`t know it would stop the fan running, if that is what I am doing wrong when testing ? When I used the car yesterday the car hardly had enough time to get warm ( only approx 1.5 miles round trip max as I said and no heating or aircon switched on ) when I pulled into drive the fan was running and when engine switched off it continued for several seconds after. I have a feeling this issue is getting away from me, and taking it to the garage I feel it will be the usual line that we here so often HGF instead of perhaps the correct diagnosis as it`s easy money for them and they have you over a barrel ! Regards Paul
Old 30th December 2019, 08:44   #26
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Teddy View Post
... by switching it to Econ mode I didn`t know it would stop the fan running ...
Yes, in 'Econ' mode the radiator fan will run only when high coolant temperature demands it. The air conditioning is switched off.
Quote:
When I used the car yesterday the car hardly had enough time to get warm ( only approx 1.5 miles round trip max ....) when I pulled into drive the fan was running and when engine switched off it continued for several seconds after.
In these circumstances I would like to know the coolant temperature reading given by the instrument pack diagnostics Paul.
Quote:
... taking it to the garage I feel it will be the usual line that we hear so often HGF instead of perhaps the correct diagnosis as it's easy money for them ...

What's more, some of the evidence you've given does not confirm head gasket failure. For example, no smell of combustion gases and the test you carried out on coolant level in the expansion tank when the engine was cold was negative.

The odd combination of symptoms which defies rational explanation leads me to suspect that K-Seal may be responsible. Could the garage which replaced the head gasket in 2018 have done that without your knowledge?

Simon
Old 30th December 2019, 11:59   #27
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Hi Simon , thanks for the advice given.The coolant temperature reading given by the instrument pack diagnostics are as follows it climbed steadily to 79 ( useless temp gauge had just climbed to the 9 o`clock position) the fan on low speed cut in at 105 and continued running, the temp climbed to 110 and stayed at that fiqure. I switched engine off( as had idled for some 20 minutes so was concerned engine was going to cook) then the fan went to 2nd speed and ran for approx 40 seconds before it switched off. The temp gauge did not move from the 9 o`clock position at anytime once engine was hot. Mike stafford from MJS Autoandmarine came up to north cambs from sussex ( highly recommended by fellow club members) to do the head gasket and cambelt etc, so it was in the hands of someone who knows these engines well, and it was mentioned there was evidence of K-seal present in the system and that would have been used before it came into my ownership, Regards Paul
Old 30th December 2019, 15:58   #28
SD1too

Thanks Paul for your very clear account. I suspect that your thermostat isn't opening fully or is stuck due to the earlier use of K-Seal. There's a test you can do. When the radiator fan starts running, grasp the bottom radiator hose; that's the one leading to and from the bleed screw. It should feel hot, virtually indistinguishable from the top radiator hose. If it is noticeably cooler then that indicates inadequate flow through the radiator due to a thermostat problem.

By the way, do you have a PRT thermostat or just the conventional type?

Your temperature gauge is working normally.

Simon
Old 30th December 2019, 16:03   #29
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The temperature gauge won't move from 'normal' until the coolant goes above 115C. Not very helpful eh?

The high speed fan tripping on after engine off is due to the heat soak phenomenon. In extreme cases, it will run for up to five minutes.

If possible, ask you mechanic to save you the MLS gasket parts. It will be interesting to see if there are clues to how it failed. IMO, the MLS system hasn't lived up to the promise that was promoted in the early days.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2020, 14:51   #30
Ginger Teddy
Regular poster

Hi folks have today fetched my ole faithhful back from the garage after having work done over the last three weeks.It has been several weeks since I spoke about the issues I had been having and asking for your advice ( ill health got in the way ) and seeking to get it rectified. I got all the parts from Mat at DMGRS and bought the full kit ( the Payen BW750 Elastomer kit) along with cambelt, water pump, bolts etc) and head skimmed. The day I picked it up I drove 10 miles and it overheated.The garage had fitted the MLS gasket on the recommendation of the guy who skimmed the head, and it was the last time that head could be skimmed.It went back to the garage and they then fitted the Elastomer gasket that I had bought and again the head bolts were replaced.It was still overheating and on their test drive it burst the main hose ( from t-piece down, I always carry a spare one in the car).The garage thought it may be the radiator as pipes were hot but rad was cold, so I thought we had come this far and bought a new, rad but on going to garage today for mot on another car I have it seems not to be the problem and they can do no more.I managed to drive it the 2 miles home and water was being forced from the cap as usual and after nearly £1200 in the last three weeks I have a lovely looking car that I have looked after for seven years and 15k of happy miles it appears we are at the end of the road.Such a shame, I feel quite gutted.Thanks to everybody who gave advice it was much appreciated, Regards Paul