Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th August 2013, 13:04   #1
Canon
Gets stuck in

75 Connie Auto CDTi SE

Default Non warm starter

Okay the car starts really easy of a morning or on a cold start.
After driving a while and engine is hot it will not restart, just keeps turning over until battery dies. It will start with a jump start but Ive only tested that when engine has cooled down

So far i have:

Removed cam sensor cleaned and put in freezer to cool down
Replaced diesel fuel filter
Checked battery voltage and tightened connectors
Checked fuel pump is flowing (and got covered in diesel)

All with no luck. Any other suggestions.

Btw when the car is running it doesn't miss a beat

Mods done:
Towbar - EGR replaced with SS straight pipe - Synergy 2 - Aircon resistor replaced with JMA
- Walnut and Leather Steering Wheel - Walnut Hand Brake and Walnut Auto Gear Stick - Walnut Dash - Sean's DD Unit with DVBT - 2.0 CDT Torpedos - Boot Badge and mk1 Chrome Plinth - D Pillars - Union Alloys - X-Power Upgrade
Slowly adding pre project bits and bobs
Canon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 13:17   #2
chris_h
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

Try starting it using a can of easy start from Halfords. Squirt it through the top of the front grill where the air intake is while someone cranks the engine. If it starts with this it indicates a leak back problem with the injectors. This issue is very common, you can get the injectors refurbished at lynx diesels in Wokingham. The seals perish with age allowing too much fuel to leakback which means the hp fuel rail does not reach the minimum pressure to allow the car to start. The easy start allows the engine to start on the injected easystart which allows the fuel pressure to be raised just high enough for the engine to start. When the engine is warm the seals are softer and allow more fuel to leak back. You can also do a leak back test but this is more involved. I have had this same problem occur on 2 different cars at about 85, 000 miles.
chris_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 13:22   #3
Canon
Gets stuck in

75 Connie Auto CDTi SE

Hi Chris

Im going to jump start her again and take her for a run to heat the engine back up. When i get back ill try the easy start and see how it goes

Mods done:
Towbar - EGR replaced with SS straight pipe - Synergy 2 - Aircon resistor replaced with JMA
- Walnut and Leather Steering Wheel - Walnut Hand Brake and Walnut Auto Gear Stick - Walnut Dash - Sean's DD Unit with DVBT - 2.0 CDT Torpedos - Boot Badge and mk1 Chrome Plinth - D Pillars - Union Alloys - X-Power Upgrade
Old 20th August 2013, 15:51   #4
tdi90
Gets stuck in

Nissan Navara

When you do start it, go for a drive and settle at about 1200 RPM in 3rd 4th or 5th gear then floor it. If it stalls then chances are one/some of ya injectors are leaking back.
(Same thing happened to mine last year)
Injector leak back test is dead easy to do and doesnt take long. make sure you've an empty 2 ltr bottle and a load of old rags handy.

I replied to your wanted thread about borrowing a cam sensor I have one, pm me.
Old 20th August 2013, 16:36   #5
chris_h
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

As the leakback gets worse it starts to cut out when you floor it at low revs as the fuel pressure drops too low and the ecu shuts down the engine. Not much fun when overtaking!
Old 20th August 2013, 16:51   #6
Canon
Gets stuck in

75 Connie Auto CDTi SE

Hmm went for a good 15 minute drive and bought a can of easy start then returned home and turned engine off. Restarted after waiting 30ish seconds and it started. Turned back off and waited for 5 minutes, started again. Waited another 5 minutes and again it restarted. It would appear to be okay.
I'll be back out in her later and see what happens then and report back.

I don't have any cut outs or hesitation when i put my foot down, apart from the warm starts over the past couple of days, she has been driving really good.

Alan thanks for your offer, i'll let you know asap

Mods done:
Old 20th August 2013, 19:26   #7
tdi90
Gets stuck in

Nissan Navara

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_h View Post
As the leakback gets worse it starts to cut out when you floor it at low revs as the fuel pressure drops too low and the ecu shuts down the engine. Not much fun when overtaking!
Just before I changed my faulty injector, anymore than 1/2 throttle would make it stall. That was royal pain in ....
Old 21st August 2013, 22:09   #8
Canon
Gets stuck in

75 Connie Auto CDTi SE

Default Update

The car is now actually starting warm although it can sometimes take a good 6 to 8 seconds cranking before firing up.
Ive put out a shout in the main forum to do a test using another members cam sensor off there car to see if it will fire up straight away or hesitate like my own

So if firing straight off i'll buy a new sensor
Or if the same go and get injectors checked

Does this seem a good order or is there another area I should also check?

Mods done:
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:01   #9
chris_h
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

That is how mine stated. It used to take longer and longer to start when warm/hot. When I sorted out the leak back you just have flick the starter rather than cranking it for 10 seconds hoping it would start. I drove it like that for about 3 months with it gradually getting worse. I got it sorted when it started cutting out as it got dangerous.
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:05   #10
Canon
Gets stuck in

75 Connie Auto CDTi SE

Today i had to start it with easy start so i guess its injector leak back.
I'm going to take it to Burscough Diesels as soon as i finish my night shifts.
And ill report back the eventual problem

Mods done: