Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th February 2009, 19:49   #1
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Default Dead Alternator and dead Master cylinder wanted

Hi Folks,

I have decided to carry out some research into the prosect of repairing our own alternators and master cylinders.

Many years of restoring cars has taught me that anything can be repaired when there is a will and a shortage of cash!

I would like to hear from anyone who has a dead CDTi alternator or a dead Master cylinder that they were about to throw away.

Id like to strip the components and see if I can come up with another DIY 'how to' ...anyway... helps to satisfy my craving for fixing things!

Any offers?

EDIT: I am also looking at approaching FRAM to see if they are willing to produce an affordable PCV filter isnted of being ripped off by BMW garages.

Last edited by Jamie; 19th February 2009 at 11:34..
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 20:40   #2
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

I've a semi dead master cylinder I was going to, one day dismantle and source seals for but if you want to do it, be my guest....
Old 19th February 2009, 06:55   #3
Departed
Retired

--

Already had a look at the master cyl. Problem is the main seal is not a conventional rubber seal, and looks very much like it can't be replaced.

There is a rubber seal, but this is the secondary seal that stops the fluid getting out.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 09:48   #4
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowedb View Post
Already had a look at the master cyl. Problem is the main seal is not a conventional rubber seal, and looks very much like it can't be replaced.

There is a rubber seal, but this is the secondary seal that stops the fluid getting out.
There are hundreds of seal models used in hydraulics, there must be a similar one somewhere. Do you have any pics or (better) a section drawing with dimensions. I'll try to find a decent replacement if I know what to look for.

Cheers,

Fidel

workaholic_ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 10:34   #5
newcybrown
Loves to post

MG ZT 190+ 2.5 V6 (KaTy)

Would it be possible to locate the manufacturer of the master cylinder and see if they could supply replacement seals.

Its a ridiculous situation that a master cylinder costs more than £100 but the seals would be maybe 10% of that cost.

I stripped my old unit and inspected it for wear on the inside i could not find any and the only problem where the worn seals.
newcybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 11:25   #6
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I've a semi dead master cylinder I was going to, one day dismantle and source seals for but if you want to do it, be my guest....
Thanks Phil, PM on its way. J
Old 19th February 2009, 11:27   #7
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcybrown View Post
Would it be possible to locate the manufacturer of the master cylinder and see if they could supply replacement seals.

Its a ridiculous situation that a master cylinder costs more than £100 but the seals would be maybe 10% of that cost.

I stripped my old unit and inspected it for wear on the inside i could not find any and the only problem where the worn seals.
They have no interest to do that and besides it I doubt that they are making the seals; I'm sure that we can source some somewhere else, we only have to know what to look for.
No pic or drawing anyone ? There is a profiled shop five minutes far from my office and they are real professionals, I could ask them tomorrow.

Cheers,

Fidel

Old 19th February 2009, 11:31   #8
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic_ro View Post
They have no interest to do that and besides it I doubt that they are making the seals; I'm sure that we can source some somewhere else, we only have to know what to look for.
No pic or drawing anyone ? There is a profiled shop five minutes far from my office and they are real professionals, I could ask them tomorrow.
I already have made contact with a well known seal manufacturer all i need is the actual part sizes/dimensions etc and they will inform me if its a 'goer'.

watch this space.

Last edited by Jamie; 19th February 2009 at 11:34..
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 12:35   #9
Departed
Retired

--

I have some photos at home. Will try to post when I get there tonight!
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 12:46   #10
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowedb View Post
I have some photos at home. Will try to post when I get there tonight!
That would be great. If you can add some dimensions it would be perfect.

Cheers,

Fidel