Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th September 2022, 19:00   #31
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I was lucky to be able to attend today to pay my respects and give thanks, we all have our own feelings.
I took the opportunity to lay flowers at the Battle of Britain Memorial on the Embankment near to Westminster Bridge due to yesterday being Battle of Britain Day. Flowers are not allowed to be taken into the Westminster Hall so I had to do that first, at 1.30a.m., Then made my way to Southwark Park to join the end of the queue. I chose to walk to Tower Bridge on the Northside of the Thames and found it strange, I suppose due to so many people attending from outside London and arriving on the Southside, but strange that I passed less than fifty people on foot. Once over Tower Bridge the numbers rose to thousands. I joined the queue at 3a.m.. This snake of humans moved fast, slow, then frustratingly, several times came to a halt, at one stage for nigh on two hours. Tactics to reduce the need for using services had to be employed, though there were sufficient units for use.

Entering the historic building finally just after 3p.m.. All will have observed this scene in the emotionally charged atmosphere with vivid colours, the Crown orb and sceptre on top of the Royal Standard covering Queen Elizabeth's coffin, immaculately dressed military personell and Police Officers stationed around Her and virtually complete silence. A scene that I will never forget, and with a chance to acknowledge and reflect on this amazing woman. Tonight, The Princes Vigil, with every member of the Royal Family present in one hall.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2022, 00:10   #32
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

My sister queued today & got there in between The Princes Vigil & the fellow who ran up to the coffin.

I'm going over to Windsor on Monday with my wife & Stepdaughter. No plan as such, we'll see what happens but hopefully we'll see The Queen on her final road journey.

For me though, l'm sure this will be the most moving & profound part of the entire ceremonial event, the music playing no small part:

https://youtu.be/mqm3iJKHpH4

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2022, 10:03   #33
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I was lucky to be able to attend today to pay my respects and give thanks, we all have our own feelings.
I took the opportunity to lay flowers at the Battle of Britain Memorial on the Embankment near to Westminster Bridge due to yesterday being Battle of Britain Day. Flowers are not allowed to be taken into the Westminster Hall so I had to do that first, at 1.30a.m., Then made my way to Southwark Park to join the end of the queue. I chose to walk to Tower Bridge on the Northside of the Thames and found it strange, I suppose due to so many people attending from outside London and arriving on the Southside, but strange that I passed less than fifty people on foot. Once over Tower Bridge the numbers rose to thousands. I joined the queue at 3a.m.. This snake of humans moved fast, slow, then frustratingly, several times came to a halt, at one stage for nigh on two hours. Tactics to reduce the need for using services had to be employed, though there were sufficient units for use.

Entering the historic building finally just after 3p.m.. All will have observed this scene in the emotionally charged atmosphere with vivid colours, the Crown orb and sceptre on top of the Royal Standard covering Queen Elizabeth's coffin, immaculately dressed military personell and Police Officers stationed around Her and virtually complete silence. A scene that I will never forget, and with a chance to acknowledge and reflect on this amazing woman. Tonight, The Princes Vigil, with every member of the Royal Family present in one hall.
Hi Fred, well done for passing on your condolences and tributes to Queen Elizabeth, what a beautiful thing you did. One of our friends visited and she joined the queue at 10:45 a.m reaching the coffin at 3 a.m Her husband is in the company of Royal Archers and he put in 5x20 minute vigils with members of the royal family in attendance. Hope you are taking it easy and resting up. Do enjoy the meet.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2022, 13:48   #34
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Hi Fred, well done for passing on your condolences and tributes to Queen Elizabeth, what a beautiful thing you did. One of our friends visited and she joined the queue at 10:45 a.m reaching the coffin at 3 a.m Her husband is in the company of Royal Archers and he put in 5x20 minute vigils with members of the royal family in attendance. Hope you are taking it easy and resting up. Do enjoy the meet.
Thanks Phil. It is convenient for me to do this, being retired, no need to think about people who might rely on me, nor pets to consider, and with good health and able to travel with relative ease. I have just seen someone interviewed just joining the queue from north London with relatively light clothing and one bread roll with no drink, not the best preparation.

At the current queue throughput rate, that queue will have to close around 4p.m. on Sunday afternoon, which will be heartbreaking for those travelling long distances thinking they will be able to pay their respects.
Old 18th September 2022, 13:19   #35
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Sadly I believe at this rate there will be people part way along the queue who will have been in it for several hours, who will be told that the viewing has ended.
Old 18th September 2022, 20:30   #36
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

so sad about the Queen and the Royal Family will never be the same after her passing, but will we ever know what caused her death or do we just assume old age ?

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2022, 05:43   #37
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Sadly I believe at this rate there will be people part way along the queue who will have been in it for several hours, who will be told that the viewing has ended.

Everyone who had a wrist band was able to view the coffin.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2022, 07:37   #38
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
Everyone who had a wrist band was able to view the coffin.
That was good, though they closed Southwark Park in the early evening, which did manage to reduce the queue.
Old 21st September 2022, 18:35   #39
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
so sad about the Queen and the Royal Family will never be the same after her passing, but will we ever know what caused her death or do we just assume old age ?
Her lady in waiting posted online shortly after her death and said it was bone cancer.

Considering the amount of weight she lost and her worsening mobility issues, it's not something that can be easily dismissed.