Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th November 2019, 14:42   #1
paulf
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur 1999, 2004 cdti connosieurur

Default Clutch pedal solid and jammed up.

I have just replaced my clutch and used the car for the first time today.All seemed fine apart from a low biting point but was nice and light to use.I have just pulled up at a junction and can no longer press the pedal down at all.
I checked the quick release connector but it appears to be connected ok and can't think of any other reason for this to happen there is literally no movement on the pedal and was no warning of anything wrong.
Paul.
paulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 18:01   #2
paulf
Avid contributor

Found the connector has come apart but will not reconnect for some reason, the part on the master cylinder pipe looks perfect so can only assume the slaves connector is faulty.
Old 20th November 2019, 18:27   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulf View Post
Found the connector has come apart but will not reconnect for some reason, the part on the master cylinder pipe looks perfect so can only assume the slaves connector is faulty.
it may just be a fight to reconnect but the fact it came apart is a surprise

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 18:35   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
it may just be a fight to reconnect but the fact it came apart is a surprise

macafee2
It sounds like the spring "fingers" inside the female part of the coupling may have been damaged during the initial connection of the master to the slave.

If the OP still has the old slave, take a look inside the connector to see what I'm on about

Best of luck

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 23:28   #5
paulf
Avid contributor

Yes 1 of the prongs had been bent back making it impossible to refit,Luckily i have a few old clutch parts about as i never through away something that may be useful. I fitted the connector from an old slave and reconnected and all is well it even worked without bleeding, although the clutch bites very low.
Im going to make up a connector to allow me to bleed the slave independently with a syringe and then hopefully i will have a properly functioning clutch again.
Paul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
It sounds like the spring "fingers" inside the female part of the coupling may have been damaged during the initial connection of the master to the slave.

If the OP still has the old slave, take a look inside the connector to see what I'm on about

Best of luck

Brian
Old 6th June 2021, 09:39   #6
GP1005
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTI

I know this is an old thread but Brian has mentioned at least one problem I am having with a ZT CDTi

The complete clutch was replaced in November with parts from DMGRS. Everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when the clutch pedal travelled half way before doing anything. Gears could still be selected. Bleeding achieved nothing with pedal now going to floor.

New master clutch was fitted and bled but this resulted in same zero pedal ie going straight to floor.
Could not bleed the normal way so reverse bleed through the bleed nipple using a syringe. Seemed to have resolved the clutch but now inline connector keeps coming out as soon as clutch pedal is depressed. Removed the female connector coming up from slave and some of the tangs/fingers are not great (potential problem mention by Brian). Did not keep the old female connector from 6 months ago

Trying to avoid removing the gearbox for obvious reason

Does anyone have a good spare female connector they can sell me ?

Thanks
Gary
GP1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 10:14   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If you don't have any luck getting a replacement then a 6mm inline hydraulic compression fitting will do the job and they are cheap as chips.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 10:22   #8
GP1005
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTI

The pipe from slave is copper but from master is covered in plastic. I assume therefore that this is a 6mm copper underneath ?
GP1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 20:22   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Ah apologies - I recently made up a bleed line from an old slave cylinder connection using a 6mm inline compression fitting. Would have worked if you had a Tazu master cylinder with a metal pipe.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 21:41   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

You need a small metal sleeve to go inside the plastic pipe to stop it collapsing when you use the compression fitting suggested by Mike Noc.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote