Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th March 2020, 21:34   #21
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Is there any chance of an additive to counteract it?
I have a 98 MGf, a metro turbo and just recently started restoration of a maestro EFi any idea what mods this will require to run on it.
This lot are really pi$$ing me off as we also have multi fuel stove and wont be able to get coal or reasonably priced logs soon.
May resort to burning the tyres off the cars that won't work soon!
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 21:57   #22
Forestgreen
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6 saloon

I'm even more confused now. I thought we were discussing whether the Rover 75 petrol engines can safely be run on E10. All I've managed to establish so far is that it's not a good idea to stick it in your motorbike, and I don't have a motorbike. So can anyone help me with my original point? And whether this would also mean premium fuel would also move to becoming E10 since if not there's a simple solution to anyone not already using premium fuel in their Rovers?
Forestgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 22:01   #23
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

It is just crazy what's happening tbh
My parents both retired just as my mother got 'the letter' saying she wouldn't get her pension until she's 65, or even a bus pass as a token gesture!!
I pay for anything that ever needs maintaining and upkeep.
Just bought them a new cooker, new kitchen and a new boiler, bought them 4 new tyres and MOT'd their 25!
And now, basically they're being told they can't have a car either!
That's just brilliant given they live 8 miles from anywhere and have no money ffs
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2020, 17:10   #24
Francophile
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Good evening, gentlemen,

Quote:
Is there any chance of an additive to counteract it?

In April, 2012 the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs published the results of their testing programme on the efficacy of corrosion inhibition additives for petrol containing ethanol. At that time, additives were available from Miller's Oils, Flexolite and Frosts. Although Miller's offered three varieties of additives, two of them were mated with lead replacement, which makes them NO, NOs as far as our cars are concerned. All three were expensive, adding 3.3p(Flexolite) to 17.5p (Miller's) to the cost of one litre of fuel! Unfortunately, those additives did nothing to protect elastomers, polymers or plastics. Currently, I believe Viton is the only reliable replacement material for rubber-based items, such as O-rings and pipes. The whole background info can be found here: www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels

Derek.
Francophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2020, 19:19   #25
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

I was surprised on reading an article to see that cars up to about 2000 reg might be adversely affected .
I had thought it was older cars than this ! Does anyone know for sure if our cars do in fact have any components which could be bothered by it ?
Old 9th March 2020, 22:50   #26
Francophile
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Back again,

I've just read the Footman James commentary, via the link in Post #14. It reminded me that 'classic and cherished' cars generally perform lower annual mileages than contemporary reps and commuter vehicles. Stored under adverse conditions, the ethanol decomposes to form acids among other things. A tank of fuel can last me for three months, and often does. That is another factor to consider in the damage potential of E10, or even E5 which, I'm informed, most fuel companies used to dose with an inhibitor. It would be useful to know whether it still is so treated.

Derek.
Francophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2020, 18:20   #27
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestgreen View Post
OK so can folks please explain who is affected by this the problem and what are the options?

I have a 2002 plate KV6. Will I roger it if I run on E10 regular unleaded, and what would I have to have done to it, and what would it cost, for me to make it compatible?

Supplementary question - will premium fuel also become E10 or just economy? I generally use Esso or Shell (Vpower) premium as the better economy offsets the higher pump price so that overall cost per mile is about equal but with the benefit of a cleaner fuel. If premium fuel isn't going to have ethanol added maybe we just need to accept that we will have to get used to spending more at the pump when we need to fill up, but we will refill less frequently as we will get better economy, in which case what's the problem?
I am always interested to learn, so what mileage do you get from the premium fuel you use, and what was the mileage when you used non premium fuel. No guesswork, just plain facts please. How do you quantify the mileage gained from premium fuel please.
Old 12th March 2020, 15:56   #28
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
I'm even more confused now. I thought we were discussing whether the Rover 75 petrol engines can safely be run on E10. All I've managed to establish so far is that it's not a good idea to stick it in your motorbike, and I don't have a motorbike. So can anyone help me with my original point? And whether this would also mean premium fuel would also move to becoming E10 since if not there's a simple solution to anyone not already using premium fuel in their Rovers?
As I mentioned they are still going to be selling E5 fuel but no doubt at a higher cost.
Thankfully this year at least the fuel duty is staying the same.
My ZT runs on diesel and I know how much the Government likes my car!

I know that American cars from the 1930s could run on unleaded without too much trouble as most had ceramic valve seats but as to whether they can run on E10, I honestly don't know.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2020, 20:11   #29
Halkyon
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Supplementary question - will premium fuel also become E10 or just economy? I generally use Esso or Shell (Vpower) premium as the better economy offsets the higher pump price so that overall cost per mile is about equal but with the benefit of a cleaner fuel.

You're going to have to explain to me how a higher compression tolerance before pre-ignition in fuel is going to increase your mpg in any way. I doubt our ECUs are adapting the ignition timing somehow.

Re: ethanol. Welcome to "classic" ownership and the use of fuel additives. I'm sure somebody will be along to sell you more expensive pipes soon.
Halkyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2020, 11:52   #30
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Classic Motor Services (CMS) will convert any car to run on E10 for £710 (article in this weeks' Classic Car Weekly). I shall wait and see what develops.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote