Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th February 2012, 09:40   #1
Robbberd
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default rough ride and clunking steering

Hi , Just want a bit of clarification really ,
Newish owner of a MG ZT CDTi , i understand that the odd clunking from the steering may be the top mounts , usually when turning when stationary , and sometimes when moving forward after having just reversed (?), Anyway , the ride is quite harsh too , road noise can be a bit loud and felt throught he steering too. Would all this be due to the top mounts or should i be looking into replacing shocks and springs , or perhaps the tyres need replacing too.

Also can I just say a massive thanks to the Monk , for a job well done and a damn fine cup of tea, I was up there for a T4 session ( turned out I already had the xpower upgrade , bonus..) . Again ,many thanks.
Robbberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 09:44   #2
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Thread moved to the technical help forum,redirect left.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 10:13   #3
Robbberd
Loves to post

MG ZT

Sorry , still getting the hang of this . Many thanks
Robbberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 10:21   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbberd View Post
Hi , Just want a bit of clarification really ,
Newish owner of a MG ZT CDTi , i understand that the odd clunking from the steering may be the top mounts , usually when turning when stationary , and sometimes when moving forward after having just reversed
In regards to the above issue only, it does sound like the top bearing needs replacing. You can confirm it and which side(s) - with weight on wheels, by having someone waggle the steering back and fourth around the point it clunks, while the another rests their hand on spring. The spring will twang in time with the clunk.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 09:40   #5
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

My facelift tourer has had this clonking from the top of the suspension for about four years. It has not got any worse and the ex rover dealer who services the car also MOT's it and say it is still not worth replacing but it is a common fault.
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 12:44   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams View Post
My facelift tourer has had this clonking from the top of the suspension for about four years. It has not got any worse and the ex rover dealer who services the car also MOT's it and say it is still not worth replacing but it is a common fault.
I read somewhere that it is not an MOT issue. The bearings wear in their carrier, due to the constant weight upon them in the dead ahead position, so you get the cluck as the steering passes back and forth through that point.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote