Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th November 2006, 12:47   #1
M47Rman
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 saloon 2.5 KV6 Conn SE Automatic

Default Rover 75 'sticky' central locking

Hi all
Just noticed a problem on my 2001 v6 Conn, with the central locking. When I unlock the car, one press of the plip unlocks just the drivers door, and a further press unlocks all of the other doors - most of the time! Sometimes the right hand rear door does not unlock, and the sill button remains down. However a further press of the plip then unlocks this door also. I have also noticed that when locking, the sill button on this door drops more slowly than the others. Are these problems an indication of imminent failure, or is a little penetrating oil required in a particular place? Anyone had a similar problem or got any thoughts?
Thanks
Andy
M47Rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 13:00   #2
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

The first 'problem' you describe is actually a programmed setting. Named anti -hijack it means that when you first unlock only the drivers door opens - so no one can jump in the car from another door! The dealer software Testbook can turn this and a myriad of other things off and on.

The other issue is likely to be a sticking lock assembly. WD40 et al through the door and handle gaps to cover the mechanism can help. If that doesn't sort it then it's best to get the mechanism sorted/changed by a mechanic (or DIY) because there are instances of some doors jamming completely and then the door card has to be ripped out to get it sorted

hth

Mike
Old 10th November 2006, 13:09   #3
M47Rman
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 saloon 2.5 KV6 Conn SE Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
The first 'problem' you describe is actually a programmed setting. Named anti -hijack it means that when you first unlock only the drivers door opens - so no one can jump in the car from another door! The dealer software Testbook can turn this and a myriad of other things off and on.

The other issue is likely to be a sticking lock assembly. WD40 et al through the door and handle gaps to cover the mechanism can help. If that doesn't sort it then it's best to get the mechanism sorted/changed by a mechanic (or DIY) because there are instances of some doors jamming completely and then the door card has to be ripped out to get it sorted

hth

Mike
Hi Mike
thanks for that. Sorry if I suggested the staggered unlocking was a problem. I know about that bit! Sounds as though I need to get the WD 40 out this weekend for the real problem. Any idea (if it comes to that) how much a new lock assembly goes for?
Andy
M47Rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 15:30   #4
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

The one for my drivers door was about £65 + VAT but that was an ex dealer price about two months ago.

May be cheaper at Rimmers
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 19:47   #5
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club 2.5 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by M47Rman View Post
Hi all
Just noticed a problem on my 2001 v6 Conn, with the central locking. When I unlock the car, one press of the plip unlocks just the drivers door, and a further press unlocks all of the other doors - most of the time! Sometimes the right hand rear door does not unlock, and the sill button remains down. However a further press of the plip then unlocks this door also. I have also noticed that when locking, the sill button on this door drops more slowly than the others. Are these problems an indication of imminent failure, or is a little penetrating oil required in a particular place? Anyone had a similar problem or got any thoughts?
Thanks
Andy
Funny that, my passengers door is like that, mine is still under warranty so I will get round to getting it done.

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

Money can't buy happiness. But it sure makes misery easier to live with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 Club Auto K-Series 2.5 Litre Quad Cam 24 Valve in Steel Blue December 2000 Cowley build.
driverjgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 20:53   #6
Simon
Banned

-

There was a thread over on the mg-rover.org forums about this very problem

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=157401

If you check this link above and follow all the other links detailed within it you'll find lots of usefull info about the door mechanisms etc.

Hope this helps too!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 22:51   #7
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

The ones in the back doors are easy to remove
If you have the time I would take both out and swap them over to test if you have a lazy lock or a control fault.

If the unit, then a brand new replacement was £45 for the passenger front in my ztt so I expect the rears to be similar.

if a control fault you may need a replacement BCU and that is a dealer job as it needs to go on Testbook afterwards.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote