Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th March 2010, 15:17   #1
Tractor Boy
Posted a thing or two

75 contempary, ZT now sold

Default water leak, hgf ?

Hi, just had a mate round to show me a slight leak and ask my opinion. the leak is at the right hand side of the engine (gearbox end) below the exhaust manifold hight, near to where the water pipe enters the block, its only a very light weep but a weep none the less, I think it could be hgf but he said it wouldnt leak on the outside of the engine. the car had the hg done not too many miles ago, any thoughts please?
Tractor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 17:12   #2
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

have a good look at all the hoses, try to pinpoint the weep. if its leaking onto the floor, it wont be hgf. hgf will have an internal leak, ie through the gasket. what engine is it? try to find the leak asap, because if it suddenly gets much worse, you may be driving so wont notice, therefore resulting in hgf. how much coolant is beeing used?
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 18:49   #3
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

It would help if you told us what engine you are talking about.

However, if you are talking about possible HGF, I assume its a K4 1.8. I had a similar thing with the wife's 25 1.8. It sounds as if it may not be HGF. The inlet manifold gasket can leak also internally (to the engine inlet passages), and externally. If it leaks externally, the coolant creeps down onto the head then it finds the head-block joint, and creeps round this until it exits at the front of the engine, towards the RH side underneath the exhaust manifold.

Have I described your fault exactly ? If I have, you need to replace the inlet manifold gasket. They are not expensive.
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 08:34   #4
Tractor Boy
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell View Post
It would help if you told us what engine you are talking about.

However, if you are talking about possible HGF, I assume its a K4 1.8. I had a similar thing with the wife's 25 1.8. It sounds as if it may not be HGF. The inlet manifold gasket can leak also internally (to the engine inlet passages), and externally. If it leaks externally, the coolant creeps down onto the head then it finds the head-block joint, and creeps round this until it exits at the front of the engine, towards the RH side underneath the exhaust manifold.

Have I described your fault exactly ? If I have, you need to replace the inlet manifold gasket. They are not expensive.
Sorry, yes its the 1.8 engine, and yes this does sound like the problem, its only a slight dribble and it is leaking right side of the engine, if it was rear drive i would say at the back, passenger side, virtually on the corne before where the gearbox is bolted on. it only seems to be after the car has been run and dont appear to leak over night.
Old 6th March 2010, 14:01   #5
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer328 View Post
Hi, just had a mate round to show me a slight leak and ask my opinion. the leak is at the right hand side of the engine (gearbox end) below the exhaust manifold hight, near to where the water pipe enters the block, its only a very light weep but a weep none the less, I think it could be hgf but he said it wouldnt leak on the outside of the engine. the car had the hg done not too many miles ago, any thoughts please?
may just have a loose clip .check all clips and tighten.replace old one for a good standard jubilee clip.. check level of coolant . keep an eye on the level to see if you are losing any after the tightening of the clips .
check all hose`s move them around as if it has a split it will show its self by moving the hoses .favorite place is at the back of the pipe going down to from tee piece .. depending on what engine size you i believe that the thermostate housing leaks on the 2.5.it is def not hgf.just a leak you need to find before it becames a major problem .
Old 6th March 2010, 14:49   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Also check the inlet manifold seal. It's a known weak spot and an external leak there often runs around the head joint and can drip off almost anywhere.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 22:25   #7
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Hi Beemer

I found it easier to trace my leak in the dark because then your eyes are adjusted to a dim torch light. Daylight overwhelms the eye making it difficult to see into the dark recesses of an engine bay even with a torch.

So............ Look with a torch around the bottom of the inlet manifold where it bolts to the head, and see if there is any trace of coolant running down. In my case a little puddle on the driveway was left overnight, but the Rover 25s had no undertray, so it just dropped. Eventually, it got so bad it would happen after a run. Normally you don't see it after a run, because the engine heat evaporates the water in the coolant before it drips down. Its only when the engine is cold that the coolant can creep down. You might need the mirror from the missus's compact to be sure you can find the drip path !!

Of course it could be the periphery seal of the HG, but I think it is most likely the inlet manifold gasket. And note that the new-type green coloured ones which "cure the leak" fail just like the old ones, 'coz that's what our 25 had.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:49   #8
Tractor Boy
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Hi Beemer

I found it easier to trace my leak in the dark because then your eyes are adjusted to a dim torch light. Daylight overwhelms the eye making it difficult to see into the dark recesses of an engine bay even with a torch.

So............ Look with a torch around the bottom of the inlet manifold where it bolts to the head, and see if there is any trace of coolant running down. In my case a little puddle on the driveway was left overnight, but the Rover 25s had no undertray, so it just dropped. Eventually, it got so bad it would happen after a run. Normally you don't see it after a run, because the engine heat evaporates the water in the coolant before it drips down. Its only when the engine is cold that the coolant can creep down. You might need the mirror from the missus's compact to be sure you can find the drip path !!

Of course it could be the periphery seal of the HG, but I think it is most likely the inlet manifold gasket. And note that the new-type green coloured ones which "cure the leak" fail just like the old ones, 'coz that's what our 25 had.
We have been watching this over the weekend and there now appears to be no leak whatsoever, there is also no loss of coolant. Very strange but I suppose must put it down to being hgf paranoid.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:38   #9
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

I should have mentioned that sometimes it didn't leak just like your mate's car, but over time it just got worse until it became a clarion call to action !!

A little dribble doesnt really affect the coolant level very much, (unless you wait for a few days).
Old 10th March 2010, 08:06   #10
Tractor Boy
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
I should have mentioned that sometimes it didn't leak just like your mate's car, but over time it just got worse until it became a clarion call to action !!

A little dribble doesnt really affect the coolant level very much, (unless you wait for a few days).
Thanks Fraser, I have told him to check it before and after each journey and keep an eye on the temp gauge. I also said it might be worth doing the manifold gasket as a matter of precaution, one less thing to worry about. Thanks very much for your help. Gary