Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd June 2013, 14:32   #1
daniluvsuall
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

Default MG ZT / Projectors and Xenons

Hello,

I'm sure your gonna hate me for bringing this subject up again and I've done some searching on the forum but just haven't found what I'm looking for.

So I have a ZT+ 190 saloon with standard reflector headlights of which I'm looking to convert to the projector type.

I've found some good ones on eBay and they are listed as "Xenon lights" and they appear to have the pack already screwed on them (converter or something?) and what I wanted to know is are these an all-in-one drop in for the ZT.

I've read on the forum that you can drop projectors in without any mods but I wanted to know if the projectors were ever fitted with xenons as standard and could they be dropped in without modification.

I'm not adverse to converting some standard projector lights in and converting them to HID, but I'm a little concerned about the space in the engine bay (a lot of the other threads seem to fix the transformer packs to places which aren't free in my engine bay.. oil filter on the left.. cables to the top right of the fuse box on mine).

Once again, apologies for bringing this back up!

Thanks!

Daniel
daniluvsuall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 14:35   #2
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

OEM HID headlight units are plug and play.
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 15:03   #3
daniluvsuall
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

Quote:
Originally Posted by capese21 View Post
OEM HID headlight units are plug and play.
Thanks So they did make projectors with xenons from the factory?
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:04   #4
Martin193252
Avid contributor

04 MG ZT 135 CDTi + (Firefrost Red) 1975 N Rover P6 3500 V8 (Almond/Huntsman)

Hi

There were 2 types of projectors the Halogen projectors and all xenons are projectors, Id recommend going for the halogen projectors as while the xenons are plug and play with no adaptation youll need to do a lot of ground work to make the car legal for MOT such as retrofitting the headlamp washers and the self levelling system, the last ZT i had was fitted with the standard reflector style headlamps and i upgraded to halogen projectors with some Osram cool blue bulbs, they looked the part and looked very close to xenons without all the fiddling about. I hope this helps as i was going through mental torture trying to figure all this out when i was in the same boat

Thanks

Martin
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:09   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin193252 View Post
Hi

There were 2 types of projectors the Halogen projectors and all xenons are projectors, Id recommend going for the halogen projectors as while the xenons are plug and play with no adaptation youll need to do a lot of ground work to make the car legal for MOT such as retrofitting the headlamp washers and the self levelling system, the last ZT i had was fitted with the standard reflector style headlamps and i upgraded to halogen projectors with some Osram cool blue bulbs, they looked the part and looked very close to xenons without all the fiddling about. I hope this helps as i was going through mental torture trying to figure all this out when i was in the same boat

Thanks

Martin
You don't need to fit washers or self levelling to pass an mot with Xenons.The directive states that,IF fitted,these should be in working condition,nothing about Must be fitted.I've been through 2 mot's without a problem.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:15   #6
daniluvsuall
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
You don't need to fit washers or self levelling to pass an mot with Xenons.The directive states that,IF fitted,these should be in working condition,nothing about Must be fitted.I've been through 2 mot's without a problem.
haha I was waiting for the MOT part of this to come up! - Thanks for clearing it up everyone.

Makes more sense now, probably going to just retrofit the xenons and keep an eye on the dipped beam so I'm not blinding people - I've seen other peoples difficulties with fitting the self levelling kit...
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:18   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniluvsuall View Post
haha I was waiting for the MOT part of this to come up! - Thanks for clearing it up everyone.

Makes more sense now, probably going to just retrofit the xenons and keep an eye on the dipped beam so I'm not blinding people - I've seen other peoples difficulties with fitting the self levelling kit...
Once you've fitted them,get them properly aligned,then you won't have any problems.You've got the thumbwheel for adjustment anyway
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:19   #8
daniluvsuall
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Once you've fitted them,get them properly aligned,then you won't have any problems.You've got the thumbwheel for adjustment anyway
Yup.. I take it that's something a garage can do pretty quickly?
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:23   #9
suzublu
This is my second home

You can do it yourself with the adjusters,but best let a garage do it with the proper gear