Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2010, 07:14   #1
tony_fry
I really should get out more.......

BMW I3

Default Diesel Cutting out under load

My car seems to have a problem with it cutting out when I give it hard acceleration, but it restarts straight away, also I have a problem with warm stating, which might be down to the cam sensor? I don't know if both problems are related, can any one suggest anything?

Membership No 135
tony_fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 10:32   #2
Rolled1
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi+

The camsensor is only used on starting so once the car is up and running it cant affect driving performance,it may well be the cause of warm starting problems though.Cutting out under hard acceleration is a fuel supply issue,it could be 1 or more injectors giving problems,the ECU needs to see a certain pressure acheived from the injectors,if this pressure is not reached(through injector leakback for instance) then the ECU will instantly cut power to stop the very expensive high pressure fuel pump being damaged.As a first option it might be worthwhile adding injector cleaner to the fuel,it is usually just put into the tank but will work better and quicker if added directly into the fuel filter housing under the bonnet,take the car for a run afterwards and rev it hard in 3rd or 4th for anything up to a 1/2 mile,it may be a simple case of injectors being slightly clogged and this will clear it,otherwise check for injector leakback.Good luck
Rolled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 18:02   #3
eddybrown
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club CDT & 73' MG Midget

It sounds like a fuel problem, I'd be tempted to suggest one of the fuel pumps may be faulty but as Rolled1 has said it could be injectors. Do a leakback test first to confirm.

Infact thinking about it you've said your having problems with starting, faulty injectors can cause this so I'd definately do a leakback test, have a search on the forums for it.
eddybrown is offline   Reply With Quote