Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th December 2008, 21:30   #1
gerry3
Passed Away

rover 75 saloon

Default Engine temperture gauge

for those of you who would like to have an other temperture gauge perhaps the one's from Holden vintage cars would be suitable.the cost is about £57 for both the sender unit and the gauge, which is 2" in dia. This also has a back light so could be wired into the lighting for night driving.

You would need some were to fitt it in the car but I think a good place would be in the small recess to the right of the steering wheel.

Just were the best place to fit the temerture sender unit is perhaps the main problem but for those of you who have fitted my metal tee I could perhaps do a mod. to it and add a drilled/tapped boss for the sensor.
For those that do not have the tee perhaps it may be posible to cut one of the top hoses and insert a short steel pipe with a boss welded in.

You can find details of both the gauge and sender unit at,

http://www.holden.co.uk

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 10th December 2008 at 21:53.. Reason: corrected link
gerry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 22:18   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry3 View Post
- - - - -add a drilled/tapped boss for the sensor
Something like this would probably do. This is a demo I put together when everybody got interested in coolant level sensing, but the idea seemed to wain in favour of the temperature angle. The same thing (the boss on top) could take a temperature sensor of course. The main question is whether this position is really the best one for the job?

(Sorry for the slow download, please don't copy and paste to save bandwidth).

There's a similar discussion evolving elsewhere about fitting a digital thermometer. I believe this could probably be run off the existing sensor, without affecting the control loop. I think I'd favour that approach myself, so you would be using the same voltage feed as used by the OBD/ECU. I'm not into the electronics side, but for anyone interested in putting something together, a design principle may come out of it eventually. Notwithstanding, I can see the simplicity of a second sensor fitted into something like the T-piece will have a lot going for it, especially being quite independent of anything that already exists. It's unlikely to 'complicate' what's already complicated enough electronically speaking.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 07:06   #3
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...502#post130502
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 07:47   #4
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry3 View Post
for those of you who would like to have an other temperture gauge perhaps the one's from Holden vintage cars would be suitable.the cost is about £57 for both the sender unit and the gauge, which is 2" in dia. This also has a back light so could be wired into the lighting for night driving.

You would need some were to fitt it in the car but I think a good place would be in the small recess to the right of the steering wheel.

Just were the best place to fit the temerture sender unit is perhaps the main problem but for those of you who have fitted my metal tee I could perhaps do a mod. to it and add a drilled/tapped boss for the sensor.
For those that do not have the tee perhaps it may be posible to cut one of the top hoses and insert a short steel pipe with a boss welded in.

You can find details of both the gauge and sender unit at,

http://www.holden.co.uk
That Smiths temp guage is perfect for the 75 with its magnolia backing. I assume you could fit a orange backlight.

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote