Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th July 2015, 20:46   #1
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

Default coolant level in minimum seems thermostat leaking

hello everyone..

help needed in this situation...

today i was cheking the plenum and the alarm horn because its not playing loud its souding the alarm but very low... didn t solved, dont know whats the problema with it...

while that i saw what make me very worried, a small track of pink in what i think is the thermostat, next i went to see the level and te cup was marked in the minimum...

never hapened to me so my question is if the stat can loose coolant and why..???

the temperature of the car never passed the normal 9 oclock, yeasterday i made 300 kms journey in speeds near the 170 kms per hour...

any relation?

should i be very worried or is it usual?

thanks for answering..
super s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 22:23   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The diesel thermostat is prone to leakage fromthe o-ring seal. It's also tends to give low running temperature after a few years service. The 'normal' position on the temperature gauge means 75-115C, so it tells you very little. Check the running temperature accuratly using the Diagnostic Mode method. You need at least 88C for good efficiency.

See: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=55585

Loss of coolant is not a good thing for any engine. The diesel will overheat if coolant inventory gets too low. I'd suggest having the thermostat replaced with one of the '3rd generation' type from DMGRS. Thermostat replacement in the diesel is a slow job.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 23:11   #3
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts

the temperature of the car never passed the normal 9 oclock, yeasterday i made 300 kms journey in speeds near the 170 kms per hour

Really not sure I would be posting that...
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 06:15   #4
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

astraeus i dont really undertand why you say that but,dont think it was a long journey to push a bit by the car...

t cut thank you for your help, i will top the collant and be chnging it next days, really seemed from the stat that coolant escape...

i will put here the after work..
Old 7th July 2015, 07:48   #5
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

ok... so trip to work with diagnotics in obc marked in maximum 84 in trip of 28 kms...

so i presume like you have said stat always open, so not the better economy, but my preocupation goes to the leak that seemed from the seal of the stat like you said, top the coolant to his maximum it was in minimum,tomorrow it will to go the garage to revision oil, filters and in this case to take care of the leak and of course stat replacing and coolant, also thot about repalcing the manual gear oil...

its adviced or what?

hope not bringing any problems to engine, i will top the coolant till it goes to the garage so its does not reach alarming low levels...

if i do that it wont be any issue will it???
Old 7th July 2015, 08:47   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

A running temperature of 84C or so suggests the thermostat is becoming 'tired' and will benefit by replacement anyway.

There is no problem in repeating the coolant top up providing you check level daily and ensure it is always visible in the header/expansion tank.

The service schedule for tese cars indicates a gearbox oil change every 105K miles or 7 years. The full schedule is shown below.

TC
Old 7th July 2015, 11:11   #7
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

feeling much more peacefull after reading about the and that it is usual the seal to fail... and if i keep the coolant steady keeping an eye on it its ok, makes me releave in something more serious..

beside the alrme horn that plays very low and the drivers look mechanism that does not open with fob but closes i never had an issue with it in this year an a half since i bought it...

i think i will change also the brake pads and clutch oil...
Old 7th July 2015, 11:23   #8
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
A running temperature of 84C or so suggests the thermostat is becoming 'tired' and will benefit by replacement anyway.

There is no problem in repeating the coolant top up providing you check level daily and ensure it is always visible in the header/expansion tank.

The service schedule for tese cars indicates a gearbox oil change every 105K miles or 7 years. The full schedule is shown below.

TC
Good piece of info that sheet!
Can you recommend a certain type of gearbox fluid? Or is it different for the 1.8 to the V6 for example?
Old 7th July 2015, 13:42   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 View Post
Can you recommend a certain type of gearbox fluid? Or is it different for the 1.8 to the V6 for example?
I can only suggest using what the Haynes manual specifies. It states Texaco MTF94 or Burmah MTF1067. There are no doubt updated equivalents and I believe there are threads on the subject. If you search 'MTF94' using the Google engine, you'll find lots of info.

TC
Old 7th July 2015, 18:27   #10
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

so tc i work in a car part house here in Portugal but its not beeing easy to find a thermostat for my zt...

how can i buy one from dgmrs if i dont find one here til thursday?

does he have a store online?

and about the temperature, which is the temperature max to be alarm and stop the car in journey?

i am asking that just to be looking to obc while driving...

but i am seeing the coolant level everytime before star trip to work...