Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2015, 11:48   #61
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

T-Cut, Not sure which original stat is in, my car is a July 2004 facelift, with the single in tank pump if that's any help. As for the temperature, well it deffo gets warm quickly, I'd say nearly as good as a petrol and the hot air coming in from the heater is very warm indeed!!. I haven't checked the temperature using the IPK or my Android app as I am more than happy with the result. If I get time one day I will check the proper temperature. Just to say the reason I fitted this was because we all know the original stays open after a while so I thought, i'll put one in now as a prevention to it running cooler in the cold snap when the other fails, and as an experiment to see what would happen, then pass the info onto everyone else in case they fancied a try but were apprehensive about having 2 working stats in. I had also recently fitted an inline stat into my wife's CDTI as hers was appalling in the winter, in fact it never ever got over the quarter mark on the dial!!, the results on my wife's were very impressive as she can now do a full weeks commuting on £45ish instead of £60+. That alone makes the job worth doing.
Regards DaDragon (Roger)
Oh sorry , I would say that the running temperature is deffo higher than before.
dadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 12:11   #62
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadragon View Post
Not sure which original stat is in, my car is a July 2004 facelift, with the single in tank pump if that's any help.
OK, it will have the second generation stat which suffers the premature opening problem.

Quote:
I would say that the running temperature is deffo higher than before.
I suspect your original stat was/is malfunctioning and what you see now is the standard effect from the in-line stat. The original and the in-line units are both 88C nominal, so clearly, the first wasn't giving that at the time you did the mod.

In regard to the effect of having two stats, the 1.8 PRT is the only other engine that could possibly be affected. There, the flow system is completely different from the diesel. Rapid overheating does indeed occur in that case. With second generation diesel stats, the engine becomes effectively thermostat-free. If the in-line mod was to be done on a first generation engine, I think there'd be a different outcome.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 24th July 2015 at 12:13..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 12:17   #63
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

T-Cut "In regard to the effect of having two stats, the 1.8 PRT is the only other engine that could possibly be affected. There, the flow system is completely different from the diesel. Rapid overheating does indeed occur in that case. With second generation diesel stats, the engine becomes effectively thermostat-free. If the in-line mod was to be done on a first generation engine, I think there'd be a different outcome" Agreed buddy, glad I have a facelift model.
Regards DaDragon (Roger)
dadragon is offline   Reply With Quote