Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th June 2011, 06:12   #1
GagHalfrunt
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190+ Solar Red Commission No: 396

Post New Job With High Miles - LPG or Diesel?

I have owned my 51 plate ZT190+ now for 3 years or so and it has to be said that despite a disaster this week is definitely the best car I have ever owned. It's one of the earlier ZTs but you generally wouldn't know it from how it drives.

I have suddenly changed jobs from Working at Home (doing 3-4K miles per year) to potentially doing 20K/year. I definitely can't afford it ongoing - my 25p/mile claimable just about covers fuel so it will mean my whole car allowance is going to be consumed by servicing etc. and now my ZT is past 91K miles I worry about how well it will put up with it.

My options as I see it are:
  • Convert the ZT to LPG. I'm guessing this will cost me £1-2K to do. I should imagine the return on investment shouldn't be too long but then I still have a V6 I'll be running into the hundreds of thousands of miles. Will it survive? Anyone on the forum have a V6 with massive mileage on it?
  • Get a ZT Diseasel. You probably guessed I'm not a fan of diseals from a driving point of view, but 40mpg+makes it an option but I'd have to forget enjoying my drive so much. My old Rover 400 diesel was a good car for this.
  • Get a different diesel car altogether and make mine a weekend car. Potentials are Jag XType and Honda Accord. Had considered a Chrysler C300 until I saw the MPG was pants!

The latter may not be an option as I'm not sure I can justify running 3 cars in the household, especially as I have a mature student debt. I guess classic car insurance is now a possibility with it being 10 years old but cost of servicing and Tax/MOT are still problems.

Anyone have any ideas over what I should do? As my car is now essential to my job it's critical I have something reliable. My heart wants to keep it but my brain tells me to trade it in for something dull! I'm a bit of a tart too, I like cars which stick out and hate things which fade into the crowd!
Old 4th June 2011, 06:49   #2
Graham E
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTI

I have a V6 (160) which I bought last year with 107k on the clock, it currently has 123k and has presented no issues at all.

It came with a full service history and I now service the car myself, most of my miles are motorway and if I cruise around 60-70mph I normally get between 30-35mpg.

I wouldn't let mileage worry you on a car that has ben looked after.

I am currently restoring my 1988 Astra GTE 16v which I have owned since 1997, it has 201k on the clock and has required a clutch and 2 valves. (plus loads of welding :-) ) It was rolling roaded at around 196k and made a factory standard 157bhp.

Reason I believe is I don't thrash the car even though it is capable of it, same with the MG, It is quite capable of high speed, but is much more suited to a cruise where it is not really working that hard.

I would go for an LPG as you know your car and as you said it would pay for itself quite quickly.
Graham E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 08:35   #3
nivek1605

mgzt

Hi In my experience i would go fot the LPG if you can live with the overall start up cost. My better half has a 4.2 litre P38 Range rover on LPG, there in no loss in fun or performance and it is paying for itself every weekend just now. The big plus in we got rid of an immaculate diesel powered p38 which was nosier, slower and not half as much fun, like for like the running costs are almost like for like on LPG.
nivek1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 08:43   #4
rizel23
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 SE Dark Fantasy

i guess your best bet would be to sell the ZT and get another low milish one when do the conversion, unless yours has had the major expenses done like cam bet, clutch ect recently?
Old 4th June 2011, 08:54   #5
keir1163
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

Default lpg vs diesel

I had a V6 LPG..........which i recon equates to about the same running costs as a diesel. I went over to a deisel as i got fed up with the 60 ltr LPG tank which only allowed about 220miles from it.
If you get LPG make sure you get one with history and a well known make , i had a previously converted one and the make was an italian that only a guy at the other end of the country new about.

If i was doing it again i would get the car done with a new system. The problem with LPG is that it is relient on the petrol side of things working correctly
Old 4th June 2011, 09:07   #6
gaz7560
Loves to post

Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.0 TDCi

I'm going to be shot for this, but I would go for the x-type. Two lads at work have them £120 road tax and 55 mpg average, or you could source the 2,2d premium sport. I'm afraid to say this will be my next car only due to running costs though. rover 75 2.5 auto to costly to run.
gaz7560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 09:25   #7
MisterTomez
Gets stuck in

'00 BMW 535i Auto M-Sport, '99 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto

You're in what sounds to be the same situation as me. I don't want to and won't get rid of the Rover or put loads more miles on it so I'm under the same options - although I've decided what I'm going to do is get a BMW 535i/540i (yes hear me out here ) that's already LPG converted; these are very cheap as of course no-one wants a big gas guzzler.

With the LPG it'll get pretty much diesel economy but I'll be able to enjoy having almost 300bhp under my foot as the daily drive. I'm lucky in that where I work there are several LPG filling stations around, so that won't be an issue either.
BMWs V8s are incredibly reliable too, so no high maintenance costs.

The Rover then can stay and I can enjoy that at the weekends.

Maybe this'll be a solution to you too?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Trimmed like a first class cabin on the Titanic...before it sank." ---------- "The LPG'd, civilized psychopath."
MisterTomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 09:30   #8
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

I would get yours lpged, as long as its serviced it will do the miles ok!
Then after a few years get a new ZT and have the lpg removed and refitted to the new one!

Ive been running on lpg for 9 years/9 cars and my ZT 190 is the best by far, the great drive with great seats, V6 engine, looks and all at the same running costs as a oil burner.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 12:13   #9
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

You need to read the forums if you are considering an Accord 2.2 i-ctdi diesel as the were eating clutches every 40k miles.

I know from personal experience of owning a Civic with the same engine/gearbox.

Fantastic engine but unfortunately the clutch didn't seem up to the job.

They may of course have now sorted this.
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 09:44   #10
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 135 CDTI+ Auto Royal Blue with Synergy 2. 75 Tourer cdti club Se Auto, Royal Blue, synergy 2

I've recently moved house andnow do approximately 22k a year in my diesel zt. Mine is an auto with a synergy 2 and few other mods. I'm currently achieving 49mpg verified by brim to brim method. My weekly drive is about 60% motorway driving, the rest is around town. A manual zt should achieve a bit higher mpg than an auto.

My mileage is currently 133k but I have no worries about taking her up over 200k as long as she's serviced and looked after.

It might not sound as good as a v6 but performance wise, I have no grumbles.

chrislloydie is offline   Reply With Quote